Sign in to follow this  
The_Typer

Successful or No?

... also 2playerproductions might not be so happy about it :D

I'd imagine they'd be about as happy as DF would be about 2PP releasing Broken Age for free to promote their documentary.

... also 2playerproductions might not be so happy about it :D

I'd imagine they'd be about as happy as DF would be about 2PP releasing Broken Age for free to promote their documentary.

:D

I think it would be smart for them to release the documentary for free. I cant imagine anybody who watched the documentary not wanting to try out the game.

I dont have enough faith in humanity not to foresee hundreds of threads of Backers crying about it and also 2playerproductions might not be so happy about it :D

Still i think it would be a brillant move although it probably will never happen.

It IS the ultimate advert for the game. If only there was a model where the documentary could be funded AND be free.

Maybe they could release a 60 or 90 minute cut of the whole thing for free. Those who enjoyed it would probably buy the doc and the game.

Maybe they could release a 60 or 90 minute cut of the whole thing for free. Those who enjoyed it would probably buy the doc and the game.

Episode 1 is, in fact, available for free:

In the top 20 now, and it has been around top 20-30 for most of the time since release. Seems like a good sign for an incomplete game where 90k of the potential purchased payed for it at the project start.

My lowest estimation of sales to this point is a bit over 100k copies, my highest ranges to 140k copies. In any case I'd say the sales look very healthy at the moment and even when they dip to the lowest levels I think the second part will give it an another boost.

And given that Amnesia Fortnight has a couple of adventure suggestions I'd say BA is selling strongly enough to warrant DF to think more adventure game ideas.

The AF pitches have pretty much every genre represented, and one of those Adventure game pitches was from Dave "Adventure Games are not dead" Gardner, I don't think we should be reading too much into that. Of course now that they've made all the tools for a point n click game it could be a easier game to make in 2 weeks.

My lowest estimation of sales to this point is a bit over 100k copies, my highest ranges to 140k copies. In any case I'd say the sales look very healthy at the moment and even when they dip to the lowest levels I think the second part will give it an another boost.

And given that Amnesia Fortnight has a couple of adventure suggestions I'd say BA is selling strongly enough to warrant DF to think more adventure game ideas.

It's interesting that there's been no mention of Broken Age so far in AF deals, which I said earlier I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a package deal where you get Broken Age plus AF 2014. I doubt it's something they just didn't think of, so unless they're just planning to announce that as an extra today, I would take that to mean they're pretty happy with where Broken Age sales are at the moment.

I think 100-140k is a reasonable estimate based on what we know and can guess. I'd be happy with those figures, considering that it doesn't include the 90k core-audience I already sold to, and it's just the initial sales push, with more campaigns undoubtedly planned for the rest of the year.

I think that when it moves over to iOS and Android, it's going to get a lot of attention and sell very well. Just look at how well Broken Sword 5 and The Room 2 are doing on iOS. Tablets and point-and-click adventuring are made for eachother.

And looking at interface design and the small amount of hot spots per screen, Broken Age looks like it was not made so much for iPad as it is meant as a casual adventure for smartphones, which would make the audience lots and lots larger.

The simplicity us backers are complaining about (including me) might be precisely what makes this game a bigger success than other point and click adventures.

That means that if it meets basic economic expectations on Steam alone, the profits made as a mobile game may be great.

I think 100-140k is a reasonable estimate based on what we know and can guess.

Half those figures. It ought to have sold some 50,000 copies directly on release, and a thousand copies each day since then, with sinking tendencies. Adding up those brings you to 60k right now. I'd really love to have some official figures -- I think this isn't far off, but I'd really like to know if those calculations indeed worked.

I think 100-140k is a reasonable estimate based on what we know and can guess.

Half those figures. It ought to have sold some 50,000 copies directly on release, and a thousand copies each day since then, with sinking tendencies. Adding up those brings you to 60k right now. I'd really love to have some official figures -- I think this isn't far off, but I'd really like to know if those calculations indeed worked.

You seem pretty confident. Care to let us in on your secret?

Nothing new than what I wrote on page three:

Here's the info you want on sales chart history: comparing Rust, Garry's Mod, and Broken Age

Looks like it's doing pretty well. Also, since it's tracking so closely to Garry's Mod right now, if you found some recent absolute numbers you'd get pretty accurate revenue numbers for BA, I suspect.

Ha, awesome. Thanks! Massively useful, exactly what I was looking for. I dunno about recent sales figures, but I simply took the last that was available here, which is September last year. As you can see, GMod sold about 250k units @ 10 USD, which means 2,5 million in revenue. Mapped to Broken Age, this means about 100k units @ 25 USD. And now I made this handy graph:

ba_graphkjjz2.png

So if BA was performing exactly GMod there, it would sell about 100k copies in a month. It's slightly below that, at about 80% I'd say, so it's on track for like 80k copies in a month, of which my best estimate is that about 50k copies are already sold. Currently, it will sell about 1000 copies per day.

So that's that :)

It's calibrated by the figures from Garry's Mod for the lower places, and DayZ for the upper places, of which we have the numbers, with the new caveat that it does not follow GMod in the above example, but has been slowly sinking well below, so perhaps it's more on track for like 70k. You'd have to compare it to other months of GMod for more exact figures now, but at any rate, expecting 100k copies sold during the first month will be too optimistic.

Nothing new than what I wrote on page three:

It's calibrated by the figures from Garry's Mod for the lower places, and DayZ for the upper places, of which we have the numbers, with the new caveat that it does not follow GMod in the above example, but has been slowly sinking well below, so perhaps it's more on track for like 70k. You'd have to compare it to other months of GMod for more exact figures now, but at any rate, expecting 100k copies sold during the first month will be too optimistic.

Ah interesting thank you.

Looks like it's doing pretty well. Also, since it's tracking so closely to Garry's Mod right now, if you found some recent absolute numbers you'd get pretty accurate revenue numbers for BA, I suspect.

Ha, awesome. Thanks! Massively useful, exactly what I was looking for. I dunno about recent sales figures, but I simply took the last that was available here, which is September last year. As you can see, GMod sold about 250k units @ 10 USD, which means 2,5 million in revenue. Mapped to Broken Age, this means about 100k units @ 25 USD. And now I made this handy graph:

ba_graphkjjz2.png

So if BA was performing exactly GMod there, it would sell about 100k copies in a month. It's slightly below that, at about 80% I'd say, so it's on track for like 80k copies in a month, of which my best estimate is that about 50k copies are already sold. Currently, it will sell about 1000 copies per day.

So that's that :)

I don't understand your method. You're assuming that a certain position on the chart can be translated into a certain number of copies sold regardless of the period? You're comparing Sept GMod chart position with Jan/Feb BA chart position, and assuming that the Sept GMod sales figures for each day match BA sales figures for the same position on the ranking in a different month?

#62 and dropping, and no longer featured on Steam. Selling less than a $45.99 early access for Planetary Annihiliation at the moment, must translate to ... 100 copies a day? 150? I fear even less, < 100 / day and dropping until it flattens out at a dozen or so copies / day. At that rate it would sell less than 5k in a year.

The PC sales on Steam are pretty much over until it gets a promotion, a price cut, and/or another feature.

#62 and dropping, and no longer featured on Steam. Selling less than a $45.99 early access for Planetary Annihiliation at the moment, must translate to ... 100 copies a day? 150? I fear even less, < 100 / day and dropping until it flattens out at a dozen or so copies / day. At that rate it would sell less than 5k in a year.

The PC sales on Steam are pretty much over until it gets a promotion, a price cut, and/or another feature.

Well it is certainly going to have "another feature" when the second half comes out. Then I'm sure it will get a boost when it goes on sale, maybe this next winter. It will get another round of publicity too which will bump it a little more.

Yeah, this is one of those games that people will always claim to be successful, no matter how unsuccessful it is. "Wait til part 2..." "Wait til next year..." "Wait til your kids have kids... It'll be a classic then..."

At the end of the day, it's a 2D P&C adventure with inventory puzzles that didn't sell much outside its core audience, who already backed the project. I.e. it's a niche game for Tim Schafer fans, rather than a cool game everybody wants. It didn't go the full QTE model like TellTale, but it didn't do puzzles well either. And it's really not that cool... I literally can't see myself recommending it to anyone, especially children. It's a game for adults that paradoxically isn't mature enough (interesting enough) to recommend.

And it's really not that cool... I literally can't see myself recommending it to anyone, especially children. It's a game for adults that paradoxically isn't mature enough (interesting enough) to recommend.

That's funny -- almost everyone I know enjoyed it a lot, and none of them were adventure game players. Only a couple of teenagers thought that it was "too childish" when my family played it last week and even they watched from the couch and laughed at the jokes together with everyone. And I know for a fact that a number of people played it with their kids.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to everyone, with the possible exception of those who are completely dead inside.

Wow, do you live in Germany?? I've never known anyone who played adventure games as an entire family with teenagers watching from the couch...

Alright we get it. You don't like it. Are you trying to squeeze your backer worth in forum-attention-seeking? Besides, the only point to my post was that there is still a lot of potential. Only an idiot would say with such certainty what will or wont happen.

Excuse me? I'm having an on-topic discussion about the game. You can either join in or shut it.

I've understood the Steam list is actually based on how much money any given title is making, not how much copies they are selling. They could be selling the same amount as far we know, but the more expensive game will always be higher on the list from obvious reasons. That's why making assumptions from the chart is pretty hard.

Well it is certainly going to have "another feature" when the second half comes out. Then I'm sure it will get a boost when it goes on sale, maybe this next winter. It will get another round of publicity too which will bump it a little more.

It will go on sale a lot earlyer i am certain. If you can withstand the hype and keep your eyes open you can get many PC Games for below 15$ withing a month. That is kinda scarry and i do think Broken Age has a bit more time for that to happen (even if you can feel the "need" due to the low ranking) since you don´t want to piss of the people that bought the incompleed game but still... 50% of will be comming, sooner than later.

It will go on sale a lot earlyer i am certain. If you can withstand the hype and keep your eyes open you can get many PC Games for below 15$ withing a month. That is kinda scarry and i do think Broken Age has a bit more time for that to happen (even if you can feel the "need" due to the low ranking) since you don´t want to piss of the people that bought the incompleed game but still... 50% of will be comming, sooner than later.

I don't get what you are saying is "scary". That it is going to be on sale eventually? How is that scary? That's totally normal, and it will almost definitely mean a lot of extra sales. Its not like they are losing money distributing it online.

As for getting it at $15 within a month, I don't know about that. Not a whole lot of games will do that I don't think. Hell, I've been sitting on Broken Sword 5 in my steam wishlist since December and it still hasn't dropped.

I don't get what you are saying is "scary". That it is going to be on sale eventually? How is that scary? That's totally normal, and it will almost definitely mean a lot of extra sales. Its not like they are losing money distributing it online.

As for getting it at $15 within a month, I don't know about that. Not a whole lot of games will do that I don't think. Hell, I've been sitting on Broken Sword 5 in my steam wishlist since December and it still hasn't dropped.

BS5 is really well made (although part 2 is still to be released) and to me felt like old times. Enjoyed it immensely. I pledged early on, but it's worth full price without a doubt.

Sign in to follow this