Sign in to follow this  
The_Typer

Successful or No?

NOW...

I know the game was successful enough to fund act II but... how successful?

Exactly. Was it successful enough to fund, say, Black Lake and/or Dear Leader, once BA:Act II is complete? Or just successful enough to keep DF from going under?

On March 29. the game had sold 70947 copys and grossed $1,674,082 (source is Episode 16 at 46:19)

To put that in perpective, the backers money that was used to make the game was $2,232,465.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6443/

We don´t know how much extra they put in, but we know they were talking Millions (the Humble Bundle = a million + Brutal Legend PC release = another million + "OK we need six million". (But i think this was for the full game and not only Act 1)) in Episode 10 (around 25:30)

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/9789

Actually at around 28:45 in that Episode they are talking 6 Million for the full game. So by this point they should be starting to make the extra money they invested back.

Keep in mind that iOS, Android, PSN and xbox sales are still missing, also the full game release should mean another spike on pc due to press and people holding of. Some backers will double up on these platforms aswell. So another 2 Million, maybe even all four million that have been invested by us and them, could still role back in over time. I think by now the second they make the money back they invested this is to be considered a success. You made an awsome game, learned a lot about self publishing/managment, keept a ton of people in a job. Maybe over time you can even make a good chunk of the backers money back (reaching that "real" breakeven point would rock so hard) so you more or less are able to build another game based on that experience. Pretty neat even if 20 Million would be sexier.

On March 29. the game had sold 70947 copys and grossed $1,674,082 (source is Episode 16 at 46:19)

To put that in perpective, the backers money that was used to make the game was $2,232,465.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6443/

Ok, the price of act II should be way more reduced (the whole infastructure is made, it will be way faster now).

So can we say that... ACT II would cost 1 million?

That would be such a success, because that would be something like

- $600,000 from ACT I (by now)

- +2 million with console/Ios release (or maybe even more)

- +600,000 from act II minimum.

With those fake numbers we can see it would be something like $3 million on sole profit. That is amazing in my opinion.

If you check out that episode it was more of a 3 Million for each Act deal to end up with these 6 Million.

I don´t get your math. :D If we gave them 2 Million, the use another two from Act I Sales and 2 Million out of their own pocket your Math would be more like a Million in Profit for DF if it falls in place like that. It´s so hard to guess on these other platforms. I hope it works out that they just make all the money back that we/they invested like i said before.

Here's the info you want on sales chart history: comparing Rust, Garry's Mod, and Broken Age

Looks like it's doing pretty well. Also, since it's tracking so closely to Garry's Mod right now, if you found some recent absolute numbers you'd get pretty accurate revenue numbers for BA, I suspect.

Ha, awesome. Thanks! Massively useful, exactly what I was looking for. I dunno about recent sales figures, but I simply took the last that was available here, which is September last year. As you can see, GMod sold about 250k units @ 10 USD, which means 2,5 million in revenue. Mapped to Broken Age, this means about 100k units @ 25 USD. And now I made this handy graph:

ba_graphkjjz2.png

So if BA was performing exactly GMod there, it would sell about 100k copies in a month. It's slightly below that, at about 80% I'd say, so it's on track for like 80k copies in a month, of which my best estimate is that about 50k copies are already sold. Currently, it will sell about 1000 copies per day.

So that's that :)

Nice estimate! They sold 71K in the first month. I wish it were more, but it's very close to what you predicted.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot about February. It was 71K in the first TWO months. Bugger :(

Also: Don't forget that we can all thank DIGITAL TRENDS for being total jerks and forcing the reviews to come out two weeks before the release of the actual game.

Undoubtedly that didn't help sales one iota.

Thanks for being selfish tools, Digital Trends!

70K for the first month, or two months?

70k sales after 2 months. Ep. 15 said 70k sold (almost 71k) as of March 29th.

70K for the first month, or two months?

70k sales after 2 months. Ep. 15 said 70k sold (almost 71k) as of March 29th.

Oops, my bad. You're right, it was TWO months. Sad :(

I was expecting bigger numbers, so let's hope the tablet release after chapter 2 is out will help.

I was expecting bigger numbers, so let's hope the tablet release after chapter 2 is out will help.

Let's hope chapter 2 will help ;)

It's a little too late by then! We need Act 1 sales to be big so Act 2 can be bigger and even better.

It's a little too late by then! We need Act 1 sales to be big so Act 2 can be bigger and even better.

If the tablet release also takes place only after Act 2, why then does the money get beamed back in time for the tablet sales but not the PC sales?

I thought the tablet release for Act 1 was imminent? Didn't they just add touch support to Act 1?

Yes, touch & controller support is currently in testing, and if I remember correctly they said they bumped up work on add'l platforms—so Act II will come later than they originally hoped, but add'l platforms will have Act I sooner than originally hoped. (Possibly quite soon.)

According to my back-of-envelope calculations from long, long ago when they first announced the game being split, they've earned more than enough income to (at least) cover their then-scheduled months of development for Act II; at least 40% more (possibly as much as 80% more) if my guess was anywhere near the correct financial neighborhood. So not in the "make the game several times bigger than expected" range but enough wiggle room to make Act II pretty awesome without worrying about running out of money again.

As they've said, it's enough that they aren't worried about going out of business, but not enough that they can just give up on working with publishers forever—which we can see they're pursuing cautiously by their new relationship with Midnight City; not a giant mega-publisher who wants to control the games, but a small(-ish) one which has a track-record of being hands-off the content and supporting independent vision; not a bad direction to go, if you have to go the publisher route. (Plus, if they run 'Double Fine Presents' well, that'll be an additional revenue stream to support their own games.)

Well, if my Math was right by now every copy sold is making the money they invested back (and since that money was from Brutal Legends PC release and the Humble Bundle it´s not like it´s a credit depth that needs to payed back to a bank even if it would be awful nice to earn all of it back to at least break even)

Besides that Massive Chalice is still coming. Far less Backers (means more people left to buy the game), far less physical rewards, seemingly far better financial planing. In the end that might be the „big“ money maker if only because every sold copy might be profit. (at least watching the live streams it seems like they are cutting a lot more to „make it work“ so i doubt they went millions over budget aswell)

I don´t think anyone is going out of business anytime soon.

I feel people are massively underestimating how much of a hit this will be on iOS - especially once it is on the featured list for the App Store.

As has been hinted at throughout the documentary, Tim & Greg, and certainly urged by COO Justin, have very deliberately made the game the way it is, with simplified mechanics and controls + interface to make it fully compatible with iPads and iPhones. They can ofcourse afford to take bigger risks (harder puzzles etc.) once a new generation of gamers are 'locked-in' having bought and played the first act.

Mark my words, these numbers will pale in comparison to the iOS release, provided they hit the right price-point... something they're certainly spending a lot of time researching, evident by Justin Bailey's recent comments.

Mark my words, these numbers will pale in comparison to the iOS release, provided they hit the right price-point...

This is going to be even more important (and tricky) for iOS, I think. I believe there is this unspoken rule that 5 dollars is the absolute max that people are willing to pay for an iOS-game. As that's a whole lot less than the $ 25 price point on Steam, I'm really curious how they're going to approach it. Offering Act II as an in-app purchase makes a whole lot of sense, but then Tim doesn't consider it to be an episodic game. I'd almost say that the original $ 400 game might have been more easily marketable on iOS, but we'll see.

Price point on iOs will be an interesting one to watch unfold.

Given the historically low price point of iOs games, do you buck the trend and put out a hugely expensive iOs game, or do you run the risk of irritating an audience that paid full price for it on Steam.

If it were me I think that the fairest thing to do would be to offer up Act 1 and 2 as separate purchases on iOs, but obviously make it very clear that that's what your strategy is.

I would think that the price is 9.99 or 14.99 on the AppStores and when it comes to tablets (wich i think suit this game far better than phones) you have far less people actually owning the hardware. I would be surprised if this game just happen to outsell the PC Version like it was nothing.

If you look at the best selling games (as in most downloads)you will find Minecraft and GTA among the higher priced gaming Apps that made it to manny manny Downloads and even these cost less. Multiple time Game of the Year Winner The Walking Dead by Tell Tale? No were to be found (and if you only got Episode one initially the App was just 5$)

Now i am sure Sword and Sorcery did have great sales numbers (keep in mind they also had a smaler team), but you also got games like King of Dragon Pass - much raved about by players and reviewers… they celebrated 10.000 sales at 9.99 after many month. - It´s an interesting marked and you can make a ton of money in it. But for every game (be it bad or great) that gets to earn a ton there are 100.000 Apps that get lost in the shuffle no matter how good they are. And if you look at who is doing great (Angry Birds, Were is my Water, ect.) you might get the idea that short and casual is what people like to play more on mobile (i can confirm that for myself, i never finished any of the „big long games“ i bought for my iPad)

Not saing it will do terrible. But with 70947 sold on March 29 and about 90000 Backers you sort of should have an idea of how good this game „can do“. If it sells 100.000 times on mobile it´s doing amazingly great numbers if you ask me. And that at 10-15$ - the 30% Apple cut still barely is a Million. But it´s also terribly easy to get lost on the mobile markt and have terrible sales. I know there will be a bit of press, there will be backers doubeling up ect. so it will not be one of those 10 sales Apps (and trust me, there are a lot of Apps that never get downloaded) but if things go bad you could also look at just 10.000 sales after two month.

The price structure for iOS games is different. That's just understood by gamers now.

Broken Sword 5 is like $25 on Steam but only $14 on iOS (each "Episode" being $7).

True, but these things on kickstarted projects, particularly this one, tend to prompt more emotion than most other game releases.

Do we have another source confirming the 6m$ budget for the whole game (Act 1+2)?

I rewatched ep. 10 and the 6m$ budget sounds just like an estimation to me.

Well, since they said they made enough cash to finish the game the 2 (Backers) + 2 (BL + Humble Bundle) + 2 (Brokenage Sales) would still make it 6 Million. Yeah. (i know non of these were exactly 2 Million but more or less it should fit the 6)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-21-tim-schafer-how-to-stay-afloat-in-a-pool-of-internet-twitter-hate

Of course, there's still Broken Age Act 2 to finish. While Schafer wouldn't discuss sales figures, the good news for Double Fine fans is that the plan to split the game in two as a way of funding the final stretch of development worked.

"We've made enough that we can make the second half of the game for sure," Schafer said.

Interview released Fri 21 Feb; sort of fits the idea of a game selling the most in it´s first few weeks so i am guessing thats a good 1 - 1,5 Million of what they got till the end of March.

Well, since they said they made enough cash to finish the game the 2 (Backers) + 2 (BL + Humble Bundle) + 2 (Brokenage Sales)

That's true, but Justin doesn't say that the whole 2m from BL and Humble Bundle are going into Act 2. He's just happy that they got the money so they'll be able to work on Act 2. 6m$ is A LOT of money, I assume they need the money for something else than Broken Age, after all. ;-P

I'd really like an official word on BA "final" budget.

I think it's pretty good from the perspective of how adventure games have sold historically. Full Throttle sold big, but LucasArts games I think generally sold in the 150k-250k range in their initial release run. Obviously the audience is bigger now, so you'd want to do better than that, but I think if they're at effectively 150k (when you add in backers), with half the game still to be released, I think they're on track to do what they needed to do by year's end. There have also been some flash sales and coupons going around which have both seen the game creep up the charts. It'll certainly make the summer sales, and see a spike on the next part. I think we'll be looking at 250k total at year end.

I really thought they would have put the game in the amnesia fortnight bundle, at a certain price point though, still surprised that didn't happen

And we don´t know were it sold. We knew about were the backers are from, but right now we don´t know how much Value came from that EFIGS. It´s strange, because i consider myself "digital native" i often feel many people around me are not that deep into buying stuff that dos not come in a Box. But maybe it still will come in a small Box when it´s don. Who knows.

I still believe the biggest winner here could be the documentary. Cut it down to a movie or to something that can run on Netflix or even a TV Station when it´s don so people could get interested that don´t lurk around in the deep dark corners of the interwebs.

True, but these things on kickstarted projects, particularly this one, tend to prompt more emotion than most other game releases.

Broken Sword 5 was a Kickstarted project, too.

Sign in to follow this