Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
c0d3monk33

How did the Double Fine team find MOAI?

I'm a professional commercial developer, but a hobbyist game developer who's been using MOAI for over a year now. As MOAI was the platform used by DF for Broken Age I'm curious how the development team found the experience? In particular how easy was it to extend the C++ host code, how helpful was MOAI in supporting the cross platform versions of Broken Age? How closely did you work with the Zipline guys? Or did you just take the open platform and run with it?

Think you'll be using MOAI for future DF games? (Ok that's probably commercially sensitive I guess).

Think you'll be using MOAI for future DF games? (Ok that's probably commercially sensitive I guess).
MOAI is already used for Spacebase DF-9, Middle Manager of Justice and Hack 'n' Slash at DF, so I imagine they really liked the experience. It seems to be their goto choice for 2D games now.

MOAI is already used for Spacebase DF-9, Middle Manager of Justice and Hack 'n' Slash at DF, so I imagine they really liked the experience. It seems to be their goto choice for 2D games now.

Mind, only MMOJ is older than DFA/BA. The other two you mention came out during the first public-participation Amnesia Fortnight.

So the history behind it is that we did an internal Amnesia Fornight, where some of the pitched ideas were for 2D games. Our other engine, Buddha (all our 3D games ship on it), doesn't have 2D capabilities at the moment. Because the studio has used Lua extensively for years, we researched a bunch of 2D engines that have a Lua API for gameplay code and found a couple. MOAI was the only one that was available for free and with full source code -- all the others had to be licensed and even then did not provide the source code.

Each project at DF that has used MOAI has extended it to fit their needs and made various changes to the core of the engine. (I think Reds has probably made the most changes to the underlying engine). We've also made some fixes and checked them back into the public repository for MOAI, as is usual for open source projects.

I'm not sure whether we'll use MOAI for other games, but something like Dear Leader (if we end up working on it) would be a good candidate for using the Reds engine, because the tech is such a good fit for it.

I'm not sure whether we'll use MOAI for other games, but something like Dear Leader (if we end up working on it) would be a good candidate for using the Reds engine, because the tech is such a good fit for it.

DEAR LEADER. :-)

Smiles

That game looks pretty cool. (I would want voice overs tho, just checked a youtube video)

You said you where uncertain if MOAI would be used in the future, is that because of technical difficulties or you don't feel in the loop enough to say?

(Or you don't expect more 2D games? 0_0 )

That game looks pretty cool. (I would want voice overs tho, just checked a youtube video)

Hey, thanks! Full voice recording, unfortunately, wouldn't work very well here, since the idea is to use a bunch of names and expressions the player inputs during the course of the game. :/ It does have some "wah wha waah" voiceover type thing.

You said you where uncertain if MOAI would be used in the future, is that because of technical difficulties or you don't feel in the loop enough to say?

(Or you don't expect more 2D games? 0_0 )

Well, it's more that Dear Leader is the only new 2D prototype/idea that we've had recently. Maybe given another Amnesia Fortnight/etc this could change. :D I personally really enjoy working in the Reds engine. I love that we can take a painterly concept from a 2D artist and translate it into something almost exactly like the painting directly in the game. It means we can explore visual styles outside of the pixel art/3D model look. The Reds engine does this very well and is pretty easy to use, especially with the tools we've built for it.

Ah I get it. (ref. voice)

Ref. Art and 2D:

I completely agree(or agree with my perception of your comments). I used to call Monkey Island 3 the last great point and click because everyone was being pushed into 3D when 2D resolution had finally gotten to the point where the graphics where pretty, and 3D was in its infancy. (I guess I was a hipster at 16 (in 1999) )

PS: The more I watch the different documentary videos the more famous you guys get. (currently: Amnesia Fortnight 2014) I'm starting to think this was Tim's genius idea from the start :)

Sign in to follow this