Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Dandy

Anybody else a bit disappointed?

Basically, see the subject.

I had a nice time with the game, but Vella's chapter was really drab, and Vella, as a character, was boring. (Forgettable VA, too).

The writing was pretty great and it gave me some chuckles but, it was just.. I dunno. "There". The game (act 1, I guess) was over in a snap, and I don't know if the 2nd one can make up for it.

tl;dr, I was expecting more. Anybody else feel that way?

Just speaking for myself:

I thought the puzzles would be harder, but that is the only criticism I can really state.

But it is too early to judge the whole game, if Act II will be harder the game will have a great balance - like many other adventures too)

I think that both characters are well designed.

Vella has that warrior spirit, like her Grandpa used to have. She definetly knows that she made the right choice and not an easy one knowing her family might suffer from it. I also love the way she speaks and comments, though and sweet at the same time. Not bored on my side.

Just replay some other Tim Schafer games, the biggest things you get to know about his lead characters are often to find somwhere between the lines. That's what I love about his writing.

I thought the puzzles would be harder, but that is the only criticism I can really state.

Completely agree with this as well.

Completely agree with this as well.

Same here. On my second playthrough I realized that Vella's story is the most interesting, too.

Nah, not disappointed, in fact I like it more and more as I've replayed it and watched some other people play. I'd like to see if they might be able to implement a look verb (think it might be easier than it sounds) and I'd like to see the planned harder puzzles in part 2, but generally very happy and liked both parts of the story for different reasons.

Very satisfied so far though. Difficult to say what I'll think of it in a few years, but I can imagine it sitting in my top 5 adventures, somewhere below Grim and Monkey 2, but somewhere above Full Throttle. At a guess.

I'd rate the game 9/10

Vella's voice is the thing I disliked most about the game. I get that she is on the stoic side, like Shay and Alex are, but her delivery of the lines all kinda sound the same, like she was bored one day and decided to read 10000 fortune cookies to her pet dog while desperate housewives plays in the background on mute.

I am glad, however, that I seem to be in the VAST minority here. I LOVED the artwork and animation, the audio and all other VA rocked, music was a little distracting sometimes (maybe they corrected some looping/cut-off issues I had) and the puzzles, while on the easy side, I thought fit well into the story and kept the pace nice and brisk. I was a bit spoiled story-wise on Act 1, due to the documentaries, but the game has great replay-ability. I enjoyed it the 2nd time much more, given the new knowledge I gained at the end of the act.

Yep. I'd give it a 7/10 for lack of puzzle difficulty alone because that's the whole point, for me. The rest of the game, literally everything else, was absolutely fantastic.

Yup, I was a bit disappointed as well; I couldn't care for the stories on both sides, so I guess the main theme doesn't resonate well with me, most characters were underdeveloped and I failed to attach to them especially because they heavily hinted what I was supposed to do; I also thought the humour was lacking compared to previous Schafer's works, but that is probably because it was much more charm-focused this time around. It didn't help that I guessed this mid-ending too early, although I liked how it can potentially be useful narratively for Act 2.

On the bright side, I did find the musical score to be excellent though and the graphics turned out much much better than I expected from what I saw in the documentary. I also feel this board doesn't praise enough how amazing was the engine; no slowdown at all and probably the best available at the moment in the adventure game scenario.

I'm not disappointed, not at all. The full game for me is the way I prefer to judge the game.

Already gave feedback on what is good and what is not (most is good), I don't have a need to rehash.

I agree that Vella's voice acting was poor - during the final battle, in particular, she sounded really shrill and annoying. (Perhaps it stood out because the rest of the cast was so great?)

My main reason for posting is to add a small dissenting voice about the puzzle difficulty. I thought it was fairly spot-on.

If I want to play a puzzle game (and I often do), I'll play a puzzle game. Having long story segments in a puzzle game is annoying because I want to get to the next puzzle.

If I want an interactive story, I'll play an adventure game. Having hard puzzles in an adventure game is annoying because I want to see what happens next in the story.

Basically, I guess I'm saying the two genres don't mix well. Double Fine, if you're listening: you've said repeatedly that you're planning to make harder puzzles in Act 2. In that case, can you please provide a "story mode" that gives more hints/easier solutions, catering for those who aren't playing for that reason?

Yep. I'd give it a 7/10 for lack of puzzle difficulty alone because that's the whole point, for me. The rest of the game, literally everything else, was absolutely fantastic.

It was? Puzzle difficulty and interface design and complexity are certainly the big ones for me, but the more I think about it the more I could "criticize". The sound/music and animation as well as the graphics team probably did the best and it kind of shows in the finished product, but back in the day I was fine with beepity-boops and Stan flailing his arms and jaw around wildly and a lot happier with the increased focus this actually allowed for things that actually matter much more to me like gameplay and puzzles:

http://www.reocities.com/timessquare/ring/2270/stan.gif

But even if I compare it to how I imagined it might look from the very beginning or when compared to some other games out there I don't think the art style itself is exactly the best I have seen but "just good". It seems to be lacking that certain je ne sais quoi that I imagined it might end up having from looking at some of Bagels work:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f3CF_YOanKs/S_S-VN3e9iI/AAAAAAAAA7A/eRR1mV6hLfg/s1600/commutinggiant.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f3CF_YOanKs/S_S-VTxb6TI/AAAAAAAAA7I/llMVVjakeA4/s1600/fairy.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f3CF_YOanKs/S_S-WTJKcSI/AAAAAAAAA7Y/-ubSxrIhCQ4/s1600/Moon+Framed.jpg

And even despite not having as many dynamic elements moving in the screen, not being placed on a 3D plane with Parallax or employing things like real-time shadows and reflections I think I actually still enjoy the art style in Daedalics games more.

http://mehm.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tww-1024x580.jpg

http://estatico.aventuraycia.com/imagenes/the-dark-eye-chains-of-satinav-362048.jpg

http://www.daedalic.de/images/screenshots/Deponia_Screenshot_02_en.jpg

In regards to the tone of the game it lacks many of the morbid and/or interesting elements that I found in old Lucas Arts games. I brought this up before. Things that I can still remember from Monkey Island include:

http://abload.de/img/23-somi_1555ogo6r.gif

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120426130134/monkeyisland/images/8/8b/26-mi_26_24.gif

If I'd have to describe it I'd say it has too much honey, not enough vinegar.

I also realized another thing that somewhat bothered me about the game I couldn't quite put my finger on (since I overall kind of liked the art and sound design), which was the world building.

In most other Lucas Arts games I can remember (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Loom, Indiana Jones, The Dig, Grim Fandango...) it seemed like you were in a coherent world and there were a lot of areas with specific themes - the islands in Monkey Island for instance felt a lot different from one another and distinct but still familiar (and sometimes the area maps helped with this) while in Broken Age it kind of felt like they had thrown something together to get it done.

There were like 3 screens of Sugar Bunting (outside, inside the house and then the sacrifice) - for instance I would have expected to explore the town first and possibly doing some tasks for its inhabitants as a short introduction to the game like helping to bake the cake or putting together a costume, learning to know the town and its culture building up to the crescendo for the big event surrounding the sacrifice and how Vella sees it, instead I barely even got to know her family and that entire area was a huge missed opportunity for character building.

There were 7 screens of cloud colony that seemed to be built out the most aside from the spaceship but again there seemed to just be people there standing around waiting for you to talk to them and give you stuff (where do they even live, there were no houses or anything?).

Then you were suddenly thrown into the woods that they had used for their initial art tests encompassing 3 screens that really didn't fit in all that much with the rest of the world and there was the fishing town including the Temple of the One Eyed God (I kind of got somewhat of a Monkey Island feeling during this part, but very brief - as was this whole area) and the space ship was entirely separate with like a dozen or so screens in most of which you didn't get to do all that much. Not much of these really fit together very coherently as a whole.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Sugar Bunting exploration was cut from the game due to budget constraints as well as other things you mentioned. At least from the information I understood in the documentary.

These Bagel paintings are just great.

They scream after a fantastic Schafer adventure. Sadly the gfx in the DFA aren't up to this raw power anymore. I agree with the Disney and honey critics for some scenes and, man, those Monkey Island items alone still look so adorable. I disagree about Daedalic though, their games look awful and wrong to me.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Sugar Bunting exploration was cut from the game due to budget constraints as well as other things you mentioned. At least from the information I understood in the documentary.

I was thinking that might be saved for part 2.

I am disappointed, yes. I was expecting some of the fantastically convoluted puzzles I found in the Monkey Island game, or the massive inventory of Day of the Tentacle. I was sorely disappointed by the lack of puzzles, and their focus on "making the game more accessible". Dude, the entire point of Kickstarter -- and what I thought you understood from your pitch -- was to make an old-school hardcore "for the fans" game in outright defiance of what 'modern' gamers want.

The characters were surprisingly generic, perhaps because they had very little extraneous dialog? Stack them up against Stan, or Herman Toothrot and they just aren't terribly memorable. I've never been one to obsess about game length but yes it did seem a bit short. Everyone talks about how various things were cut for budget reasons, but my big complaints about it seem to be deliberate design decisions ("We must make sure no one is ever ever stuck" "Let's make sure the player always knows what to do" "Lets pull a bunch of random people off the street and see whether they enjoy this game we pitched to hard-core adventure games looking for a new classic")

The problem with games these days is that marginal content is too expensive. Extra dialogue for characters would have meant extra studio time and extra animation, which is probably not something they could afford given their high marginal art costs on the rest of the game. I felt like there were so few characters in part due to this as well -- every new character means you need a ton of specific art and a new "perfect" voice actor. They can't afford that stuff, so they cut it.

After finishing it I was also disappointed by the lack of difficulty in the puzzles. Now that I've let the game settle and have had time to reflect upon it it's not a big deal anymore. Everything else about the game is so good that I'm now able to overlook it. I can tell by the time the game is complete that it's going to be my favorite game by Double Fine, and I have already put it above Full Throttle.

no. loved it. the puzzle difficulty was fine for me. the length, as half a game was fine. i got a lot out of the experience and i can't wait for the 2nd half, and hopefully more dfa's in the future. cheers everyone, i'm really glad i backed this project.

in a perfect world, i wish there was an easy mode so my girlfriend could(correction:would) play it. Maybe a disable-able "Hot-Or-Not" icon that makes it really easy to know which "room" to go to next. once you get to the room it's would be up to the player to do the next action, but i think at least not having to wonder where to go next would make it accessible for the casual player, who, like my girlfriend, may be more annoyed than charmed by some of the holdovers of classic adventure games in BA.

no. loved it. the puzzle difficulty was fine for me. the length, as half a game was fine. i got a lot out of the experience and i can't wait for the 2nd half, and hopefully more dfa's in the future. cheers everyone, i'm really glad i backed this project.

in a perfect world, i wish there was an easy mode so my girlfriend could(correction:would) play it. Maybe a disable-able "Hot-Or-Not" icon that makes it really easy to know which "room" to go to next. once you get to the room it's would be up to the player to do the next action, but i think at least not having to wonder where to go next would make it accessible for the casual player, who, like my girlfriend, may be more annoyed than charmed by some of the holdovers of classic adventure games in BA.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure your girlfriend wouldn't play it either way.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure your girlfriend wouldn't play it either way.

well, you don't live with her.

she played one sitting of the game, only played as vella, and got to the part where you can climb the latter to the golden egg after you shoe the ladder. after that she clicked around the clouds for about 15 minutes, didn't figure out how to do anything else, got annoyed and quit. she gave it a try, she just didn't "get" what to do next, and she wasn't quite hooked yet. for her, if the game had been more direct about where to go next, i think she would've made it past that hump and probably finished act 1.

Same here.

well, you don't live with her.

she played one sitting of the game, only played as vella, and got to the part where you can climb the latter to the golden egg after you shoe the ladder. after that she clicked around the clouds for about 15 minutes, didn't figure out how to do anything else, got annoyed and quit. she gave it a try, she just didn't "get" what to do next, and she wasn't quite hooked yet. for her, if the game had been more direct about where to go next, i think she would've made it past that hump and probably finished act 1.

And she would have robbed herself of the experience in favour of a more shallow facsimile of an adventure game. In my opinion, of course. :) Are we really willing to sacrifice the fundamentals of adventures just so more people can play them? Are they really getting the same experience we got by doing so? I guess that depends on what you took from adventure games yourself. Is the adventure genre really reaching a broader audience or are we just pretending that this new wave of story games are adventures? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe (classic) adventure games just really aren't for everybody? Maybe that's ok? I don't really understand this need to make everybody like adventures. I feel like it's compromising too much. But that's just me. I'm perfectly happy with it remaining niche.

I'm sorry, just thinking out loud. While these questions are all based on my personal views, I'm not being facetious or antagonistic. I'm legitimately curious.

An easy mode is hardly "sacrificing the fundamentals". If anything, it allows you to keep the harder puzzles. Personally, I wouldn't mind such a compromise.

Oh and don't call it easy mode. Call it story mode, or something.

That's different and is also aside from the fact that I think the entire game is an "easy mode". ;) I wouldn't mind the distinction. It at least would acknowledge that my crowd exists and isn't outdated. A step in the right direction.

The artistry in Broken Age is top notch, and the writing is generally good.

But I found it really disappointing that the game is a mere 2.5-3 hours long and devoid of any real puzzles. Most of the "puzzles" didn't require any kind of attention span. You generally just keep moving forward without having to experiment with anything or reexplore areas where you might have missed something.

Also, Vella as a character didn't resonate with me like I originally thought she would. As many have pointed out, her VA is bland. She also seems very one-note to me - she's very clearly a warrior at heart and that's all there is to her as of Act 1 (as far as I can discern, anyway). Shay on the other hand is not only more intriguing (as his backstory has some mystery to it), but also is faced with events that lead to character development (I'm being vague in order to avoid spoilers).

If I could, would I ask for a refund? No. The documentary alone is worth the price I paid, and I think Act 2 might improve on the cons I described above. Act 1 for me is a 6 or 7/10.

I'm much happier than I expected to be actually. I was pretty cynical going in because I didn't want to hype myself up. But I loved it once I played it.

I really enjoyed the game, it is charming and I got hooked very quickly. I actually didn't intent to play the game before the release of act 2, so I just fired the game to have a quick look, but I finally end up finishing the act 1 :).

Now I can't wait the act 2 release.

Sign in to follow this