Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Dandy

Anybody else a bit disappointed?

I'm much happier than I expected to be actually.

Same here, for different reasons. My initial impressions of what the game was intended to be was that it was going to be a fairly small-scale project. An adventure game, yes, but certainly not the promise of the Second Comming of the Golden Ages of Sierra and LucasArts. But then the project expanded when the Kickstarter raised so much more money than asked for, and then seemed to keep on expanding beyond even that. I started to worry that it was going to get too big and fall apart under it's own weight. So, it's quite a relief to see that the project has both not fallen apart and exceeded my original expectations.

Let me say first that I enjoyed the game and it was money well spend, but considering this has the same budget as grim fandango how come that grim fandango feels much longer and much more epic than broken age?

Plus not all the budget has been put on dev, think of the rewards and the documentary ...

When you say "the same budget" have you adjusted for inflation? I'm asking that seriously.

I remember Tim saying at some point that they were approaching Grim Fandango type of budget adjusted by inflation. I might be wrong though.

When you guys are talking about budget, are you also considering that the Kickstarter apparently represents less than they spent on the game? At several points, Mr. S has mentioned that they've used profits outside Broken Age towards Broken Age.

When you guys are talking about budget, are you also considering that the Kickstarter apparently represents less than they spent on the game? At several points, Mr. S has mentioned that they've used profits outside Broken Age towards Broken Age.

Yes, I would guess that the game budget excluding rewards/documentary etc. is around 4 million.

According to Wikipedia Grim Fandango's budget was 3 million, so adjusted for inflation it should be slightly above 4 million, which is Broken Age's budget.

Grim Fandango has much more unique characters in the game, easily 5 to 10 main ones.

If I remember correctly it took me 20+ hours to play it through the first time.

How come the same budget doesn't make it possible to do a similar complex game?

These are quite different games made by different companies on a different engine. Plus one of them isn't finished yet, so you can't accurately measure the complexity. Plus there's all the infrastructure LucasArts was providing.

These are quite different games made by different companies on a different engine. Plus one of them isn't finished yet, so you can't accurately measure the complexity. Plus there's all the infrastructure LucasArts was providing.

These are definitely valid points. So you're saying if DF made another adventure game in the future more funds could go into actual gameplay now that they have created an engine that fits them?

So you're saying if DF made another adventure game in the future more funds could go into actual gameplay now that they have created an engine that fits them?

No question about it. That's one of the reasons why the second half of the game won't take nearly 2 years to make. I bet there's even a few projects in the Amnesia Fortnight that will have it easier with the Reds engine (or whatever it's called).

So you're saying if DF made another adventure game in the future more funds could go into actual gameplay now that they have created an engine that fits them?

No question about it. That's one of the reasons why the second half of the game won't take nearly 2 years to make. I bet there's even a few projects in the Amnesia Fortnight that will have it easier with the Reds engine (or whatever it's called).

Do you have any estimate about how much time initially went into creating the engine?

6 months? Maybe more, maybe less?

This is really difficult to estimate, especially since they didn't make an engine from scratch, but used Moai as the base, so they already had a lot of the low level stuff in place.

This post is the closest critique I have seen on the internet to how I feel about the game.

Somehow I don't think DF will take this stuff to heart when making Act 2/possible future adventure games though. *sigh*

Yep. I'd give it a 7/10 for lack of puzzle difficulty alone because that's the whole point, for me. The rest of the game, literally everything else, was absolutely fantastic.

It was? Puzzle difficulty and interface design and complexity are certainly the big ones for me, but the more I think about it the more I could "criticize". The sound/music and animation as well as the graphics team probably did the best and it kind of shows in the finished product, but back in the day I was fine with beepity-boops and Stan flailing his arms and jaw around wildly and a lot happier with the increased focus this actually allowed for things that actually matter much more to me like gameplay and puzzles:

http://www.reocities.com/timessquare/ring/2270/stan.gif

But even if I compare it to how I imagined it might look from the very beginning or when compared to some other games out there I don't think the art style itself is exactly the best I have seen but "just good". It seems to be lacking that certain je ne sais quoi that I imagined it might end up having from looking at some of Bagels work:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f3CF_YOanKs/S_S-VN3e9iI/AAAAAAAAA7A/eRR1mV6hLfg/s1600/commutinggiant.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f3CF_YOanKs/S_S-VTxb6TI/AAAAAAAAA7I/llMVVjakeA4/s1600/fairy.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f3CF_YOanKs/S_S-WTJKcSI/AAAAAAAAA7Y/-ubSxrIhCQ4/s1600/Moon+Framed.jpg

And even despite not having as many dynamic elements moving in the screen, not being placed on a 3D plane with Parallax or employing things like real-time shadows and reflections I think I actually still enjoy the art style in Daedalics games more.

http://mehm.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tww-1024x580.jpg

http://estatico.aventuraycia.com/imagenes/the-dark-eye-chains-of-satinav-362048.jpg

http://www.daedalic.de/images/screenshots/Deponia_Screenshot_02_en.jpg

In regards to the tone of the game it lacks many of the morbid and/or interesting elements that I found in old Lucas Arts games. I brought this up before. Things that I can still remember from Monkey Island include:

http://abload.de/img/23-somi_1555ogo6r.gif

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120426130134/monkeyisland/images/8/8b/26-mi_26_24.gif

If I'd have to describe it I'd say it has too much honey, not enough vinegar.

I also realized another thing that somewhat bothered me about the game I couldn't quite put my finger on (since I overall kind of liked the art and sound design), which was the world building.

In most other Lucas Arts games I can remember (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Loom, Indiana Jones, The Dig, Grim Fandango...) it seemed like you were in a coherent world and there were a lot of areas with specific themes - the islands in Monkey Island for instance felt a lot different from one another and distinct but still familiar (and sometimes the area maps helped with this) while in Broken Age it kind of felt like they had thrown something together to get it done.

There were like 3 screens of Sugar Bunting (outside, inside the house and then the sacrifice) - for instance I would have expected to explore the town first and possibly doing some tasks for its inhabitants as a short introduction to the game like helping to bake the cake or putting together a costume, learning to know the town and its culture building up to the crescendo for the big event surrounding the sacrifice and how Vella sees it, instead I barely even got to know her family and that entire area was a huge missed opportunity for character building.

There were 7 screens of cloud colony that seemed to be built out the most aside from the spaceship but again there seemed to just be people there standing around waiting for you to talk to them and give you stuff (where do they even live, there were no houses or anything?).

Then you were suddenly thrown into the woods that they had used for their initial art tests encompassing 3 screens that really didn't fit in all that much with the rest of the world and there was the fishing town including the Temple of the One Eyed God (I kind of got somewhat of a Monkey Island feeling during this part, but very brief - as was this whole area) and the space ship was entirely separate with like a dozen or so screens in most of which you didn't get to do all that much. Not much of these really fit together very coherently as a whole.

I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed, but there are a few things that I think I would of preferred. The comments by Dexter ^ resonate pretty well. I agree that the world does feel too soft and pillowy, though I wonder if we have been lured into a false sense of security and will be back to digging up the bones of peoples relatives in part 2 (I certainly hope so).

I strongly agree that I don't have the same understanding of the world and its areas as I do in many older adventure games and also quite a few of the recent ones too.

Also, I think the ratio between space to explore and objects to interact with is too big.

Take for example the screen with the lumberjacks house. It looks great but there is just the mailbox to click on and the snake, both of which are not essential parts to interact with.

Day of the Tentacle did a great job with this. There were many small rooms with several items in each one. It felt really dense.

Take for example the screen with the lumberjacks house. It looks great but there is just the mailbox to click on and the snake, both of which are not essential parts to interact with.

Possibly meant for the second half of the game.

The artistry in Broken Age is top notch.

The quality of the, I'll call texturing, in some places is kinda bad as it just zooms into the image rather than scaling it, or it doesn't scale well.

Eg. if you zoom into a jpeg and see the artifacting.

Story progression felt unbalanced, comparatively, in either halves.

You mean the one where we'll see the rocket coming out of the roof in Act 2? ;)

tl;dr, I was expecting more. Anybody else feel that way?

Nope. I got everything I expected and more. I cannot think of the last time a game has met my expectations, none the less exceeded them. I'm one happy camper.

Nope. I got everything I expected and more. I cannot think of the last time a game has met my expectations, none the less exceeded them. I'm one happy camper.

I'm pretty pleased, and look forward to playing Act 2, and then showing the game to my friends.

Smiles

I'm pretty pleased, and look forward to playing Act 2, and then showing the game to my friends.

Smiles

Agreed. The first act was delightful, and I'm happy I could be part of development as a backer and documentary watcher.

The end of the project will be pretty bitter sweet. The game is finished, but also the crazy journey that will have taken

over three years at that point will be over as well. I am (kinda not?) looking forward to that.

Home stretch, only a couple more months now. >.<

edit: just saw that this is some crazy thread necromancy.

"I’d rate the game 9/10"

Seriously? Even if compared to other adventure games? Wow?!

I'm giving Chapter 1 a 6/10 right now.

It was way too easy and I don't like the art style that much but voices were awesome.

The game is 'ok' but isn't exactly what I had expectet after THAT** kickstarter!

**1: money

**2: pitch video

"I’d rate the game 9/10"

Seriously? Even if compared to other adventure games? Wow?!

I'd rate it at 8½ out of 10. I personally like the art style and the story of the first act. And my rating is such because it's 1/3 of an adventure since the second act is said to be twice as long as the first. The puzzles are easy, but they're not that bad for the first third of the game. Every adventure starts easy and gets harder after the first portion, and the puzzles aren't any less hard than the first part of some of the classics (even the first part of Full Throttle is pretty simple, then gets progressively harder after that).

Sign in to follow this