Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Why can't a brotha get some Steam card drops?

I used up all my card drops for a lot of these games but am eligible for a booster pack for all of them. Steam tells me that booster packs drop randomly every time someone makes a badge, but you have to be logged in to get a pack. I've been logged in 24/7 for over a year and I have never received a single "booster pack" for any game I've used up my drops on.

Has anyone ever got a booster pack? What's it like? I'm starting to lose faith in their existence.

I think I get a booster pack maybe about... once a month, on average? I've never really kept track. They're nothing special, just an item that you can unpack to get 3 cards from a certain set, or you can just sell the pack itself on the market.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the packs, so I tend to just unpack them and sell any of the cards I have no interest in.

You have to be past steam lvl 10 I think to get them?

Nah, I think that's just the first level that increases your drop rate (by 20% as I recall). But that's the other thing: I've been AT level 10 the whole time. I just made my first badge about a week ago which pushed me up to 11.

Frustrating. I NEED TERRARIA CARDS DAGNABBIT.

I've received 2 and both were from newer games(lots of badges being crafted by the community).

I've received 2 and both were from newer games(lots of badges being crafted by the community).

That seems like a weakness in the trading card system. The trading cards should encourage people to play and craft badges, but instead the trading card activity is focused around the games people are already playing.

Probably all they're doing is letting the clock run on the older games they care less about, then immediately putting the cards up for sale. Seems like if you pick up an older title on Steam, you should have as much a chance of getting a card drop on those games as you do on the most recent games that people are swarming around.

I suppose for some of these I'll have no choice but to purchase the cards.

That seems like a weakness in the trading card system. The trading cards should encourage people to play and craft badges, but instead the trading card activity is focused around the games people are already playing.

Probably all they're doing is letting the clock run on the older games they care less about, then immediately putting the cards up for sale. Seems like if you pick up an older title on Steam, you should have as much a chance of getting a card drop on those games as you do on the most recent games that people are swarming around.

The weakness in the trading card system is there's so little incentive to craft badges, that only the most insane maniac losers ever buy cards for the crap games, and the good games have way too many people selling cards for them to be worth anything.

The weakness in the trading card system is there's so little incentive to craft badges, that only the most insane maniac losers ever buy cards for the crap games, and the good games have way too many people selling cards for them to be worth anything.

Yeah, they should really incentivize it better and try to give a fairer shake to those older games from several years ago that fewer people are playing now. At this point, basically all you get for leveling up and earning badges is a slightly better Steam profile. It's a more complicated version of "Gamer Score", basically. You do also get coupon drops for crafting badges, but it's usually like 20% off some bargain bin flight simulator or something of similar value.

Personally, what I would do is keep the system they have now, but once you get your Steam profile up to lvl 10, every time you level up after that, you get dropped a random bounce back coupon that drops a certain amount into your Steam wallet. Doesn't have to be anything ridiculous. Maybe leveling up to lvl 11 only earns you ten or twenty cents. Maybe at every ten levels you have the chance to earn as much as a 1 or 2 dollar bounce back. Maybe at every 10 levels you earn a coupon toward a game on your wish list instead of some random game. Steam already has so many sales going at all times that I doubt this would destroy their economy, and Steam users are such bargain vultures that I'm sure they would grind for it. And since it requires a LOT of time and games in your library to get to at least lvl 10, I think that precludes people trying to abuse the system by creating multiple accounts.

In a nutshell, it would be like if Steam created yet another, smaller kind of sale (in addition to midweek madness, daily deals, weekend deals, holiday sales, etc) that only lvl10+ users who are advancing another level can take advantage of.

Yeah, they should really incentivize it better and try to give a fairer shake to those older games from several years ago that fewer people are playing now. At this point, basically all you get for leveling up and earning badges is a slightly better Steam profile. It's a more complicated version of "Gamer Score", basically. You do also get coupon drops for crafting badges, but it's usually like 20% off some bargain bin flight simulator or something of similar value.

Personally, what I would do is keep the system they have now, but once you get your Steam profile up to lvl 10, every time you level up after that, you get dropped a random bounce back coupon that drops a certain amount into your Steam wallet. Doesn't have to be anything ridiculous. Maybe leveling up to lvl 11 only earns you ten or twenty cents. Maybe at every ten levels you have the chance to earn as much as a 1 or 2 dollar bounce back. Maybe at every 10 levels you earn a coupon toward a game on your wish list instead of some random game. Steam already has so many sales going at all times that I doubt this would destroy their economy, and Steam users are such bargain vultures that I'm sure they would grind for it. And since it requires a LOT of time and games in your library to get to at least lvl 10, I think that precludes people trying to abuse the system by creating multiple accounts.

In a nutshell, it would be like if Steam created yet another, smaller kind of sale (in addition to midweek madness, daily deals, weekend deals, holiday sales, etc) that only lvl10+ users who are advancing another level can take advantage of.

Or give you a tangible discount on every purchase for every level you attain, up to 10% off. Even if it was 0.05% off for every level, it would be a lot more reason to actually complete badges than there currently is. Plus, Steam takes 10% of every card sale as pure profits anyway, so it wouldn't lose them any money, really.

I've gotten two. One for Team Fortress 2, the other for Psychonauts.

I don't buy cards unless there's two or less I need in a set, and I really want the badge/background/emoticon. I've started doing commissions to finish off sets for people who can't afford a fancy commish.

Sign in to follow this