Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
frankie

Another puzzle solved almost accidentally (spoilers)

The transporter head-shrinking puzzle. I saw this one mentioned in of the Steam reviews and it was exactly the way I experienced it.

I mean, I was walking around the ship for discovery and it was before actually talking to Marek about what I need to be doing. Once I used the transporter once/twice I realized my head is shrinking, and in the room with the radiation I figured I'm supposed to get the helmet to fit. But all of this happened before I knew WHY I'm actually going to this room or what is this "orb" mentioned in the lines.

I'm pretty sure that Tim gave this kind of situation as an example in some speech I watched on GameSpot(?) about adventure games. The case where the player solves a puzzle without realizing why he's done it.

I don't know what should be done about it really, because intuitively I'ds say "block the option to go there before relevant dialog is triggered" but I know that a lot of people complain about the "interactive-story" vibe and limiting options would not help improving on that.

Yes and no. You can easily figure out 'hey my head shrinks when I go through teleporters' (since it's announced to you the first time you do). It's also easy to figure out that you might be able to fit your head into the too-small-helmet and get into the area that doesn't let you by because the helmet machine isn't working. And I don't see anything particularly wrong with that. You still wont be able to 'complete' the puzzle without first talking to Marek and getting the dampener, at which point you'll know why you need to get in that room. But the puzzle is laid out pretty organically for you there. It's not like you just accidentally put the helmet on your shrunken head and accidentally walked into the room with your tiny-helmet-head where you happen to need a replacement helmet.

Somewhat unfortunately, there are only three doors with only two connecting circularly, so all you really need to do is go through one and wander around until you get to the other - and then go through the middle one. So it can be 'solved' without actively trying to solve it - even if it may be a goal in the back of your mind. But I don't think that's really 'accidental,' since at that point you should be aware that there's something to figure out, even if you're missing some pieces.

Sounds like fairly old-school puzzle solving to me, even if the solution is pretty easy to figure out. You don't need a character to tell you why you have to solve every puzzle to figure out there's a puzzle to be solved.

G's on the other hand - can be solved by falling through a hole before you even know you can fall through a hole or that it could possibly be a solution to a puzzle - which also skips a whole character scene and dialogue. So there's clearly a problem there.

Sounds like fairly old-school puzzle solving to me, even if the solution is pretty easy to figure out. You don't need a character to tell you why you have to solve every puzzle to figure out there's a puzzle to be solved.

Have you seen this video of Tim (and staff) talking about puzzles in theory? I think where I'm coming from is sort of what he talks about around minute 12:00.

I'm curious... what happens if you get the helmet, go through the teleporters, put it on, and then try to return before you've placed the dampener on the orb? Does Shay remove the helmet before going back through the teleporter so it doesn't get destroyed?

I'm curious... what happens if you get the helmet, go through the teleporters, put it on, and then try to return before you've placed the dampener on the orb? Does Shay remove the helmet before going back through the teleporter so it doesn't get destroyed?
I got curious about this, too, and I tried it. You Teleport back with the helmet back in your inventory.

Sign in to follow this