Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
moosemousse

Video modes

Would it be possible to have a few higher res video modes? I run my monitor in 1280x1024 which isn't in the game. I'm also looking to get a new monitor which will be 1920x1080, which also isn't in the game. I don't mind if there are black bars in 1280x1024 as I'm kind of used to that, but it would be nice to have it run in my native resolution. Great game though, really liking it a lot.

I'm also looking to get a new monitor which will be 1920x1080, which also isn't in the game.

Wait what it totes is.

I think the game hides certain resolutions based on your monitor/GPU.

Odd. It is indeed there as I saw a video about the 'retro mode' which went up that high in resolution, but I can't figure out how to make it work in my resolution. It plays just fine, it just looks a little squashed.

1920*1080 is definitly there, I played through it on that. The game probably just won't show it to you since it detects your monitor can't display it anyway.

1280x1024 is missing though, probably because it's a non-standard aspect ratio and quite rare.

youre on a laptop right?

Nope, desktop.

1920*1080 is definitly there, I played through it on that. The game probably just won't show it to you since it detects your monitor can't display it anyway.

1280x1024 is missing though, probably because it's a non-standard aspect ratio and quite rare.

All my flatscreen monitors have been 1280x1024 and there are 52 on the ebuyer website. From what I can tell it's a standard resolution for 'fullscreen' monitors, so it's not rare at all.

It's not standard.

If it's not standard then why have all my flatscreen monitors been 1280x1024 and why are there so many monitors available with that resolution? The only flatscreen monitor I've got that isn't that resolution is my full HD widescreen monitor, which I only got because it's full HD. As far as I know, Broken Age is the only game that I've got that doesn't support this resolution.

If it's not standard then why have all my flatscreen monitors been 1280x1024 and why are there so many monitors available with that resolution?

Not that it matters, but 1280×1024 is neither 4:3 nor 16:9, but 5:4. That's hardly standard.

I am well aware that it's 5:4, having used this resolution for years on various monitors. Does it really matter what ratio it is? The point is that it's certainly common enough to be the native resolution of all my monitors and supported by all the games I play with the exception of Broken Age. And if all the monitors I've used and many of the monitors I've seen have this resolution then it is a standard resolution. It might be less common now but it's still more than readily available.

I really don't know why I'm bothering with this. It's just pointless.

Actually, scratch that.

5:4 was never a standard AFAIK.

Anyway, Broken Age was designed as a widescreen game. Running it in a non-widescreen resolution will cause letterboxing as the settings dialog indicates.

5:4 was never a standard AFAIK.

Anyway, Broken Age was designed as a widescreen game. Running it in a non-widescreen resolution will cause letterboxing as the settings dialog indicates.

Yes, yes it was (and it still is):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SXGA#SXGA_.281280x1024.29

"SXGA is an abbreviation for Super Extended Graphics Array referring to a standard monitor resolution of 1280x1024 pixels."

And there's SXGA, QSXGA, and HSXGA, which are all 5:4 in ratio. So please, quit with the 'it's not a standard resolution', please!

It was a standard years ago (1990 was more than 20 years ago, dude), it's no longer an industry standard. Shipping software of floppy disks was a standard, it's no longer a standard. i386 was a standard, it's no longer a standard.

Everything @moosemousse said. Quit with the know-all schtick.

My flatscreen is 1280x1024 too. Are you telling when I do get to play it, I have to use a non-native resolution? It's exactly zero effort to add black bars to create any resolution you want, and you'd think SXGA would be a must-have if you already decided to design the game for a not-widescreen aspect ratio.

@DF: Can you please change that?

Most 3D games can support different aspect ratios with very little effort, but Broken Age uses a 2D viewport. Meaning every supported aspect ratio has to be manually framed for every scene to ensure nothing vital gets cropped or out of bounds-stuff is shown. My guess is that they just went with the most common ratios and accepted some borders for the rest.

That said, I think it would be nice to still allow the resolution (native always looks better) but have the game add black borders to fit into 4:3 or 16:9

The game was designed for widescreen with extra areas painted to support 4:3. They would've had to paint even more to have 5:4 without letterboxing, which in my opinion isn't worth it cause it's only a very small amount of letterboxing. Set the resolution to 1280x960 and turn of stretching on your monitor and it will be natively showing the pixels with very small black bars at the top and bottom.

As far as I am aware, the game was designed for 4:3 tablets. If you want to play widescreen, you'll either have to stretch or use letterboxing. Both can be picked. Where does the widescreen-native information come from?

@Fhqwhgads: "Fine" in what way?

As far as I am aware, the game was designed for 4:3 tablets. If you want to play widescreen, you'll either have to stretch or use letterboxing. Both can be picked. Where does the widescreen-native information come from?

It's not so much stretching, more cropping. However I remember a few posts from DF saying the widescreen version was the preferred framing. I would imagine it is similar to movies "open matte" format, where the 4:3 version shows more, but the director isn't really considering what gets shown there, hence the occasional visible boom arm and other visible mistakes. That's obviously not a problem here cause it's not filmed, yet no significant art is put in the extra areas. Honestly though, I think it's best just to play in whatever ratio is closest to your monitor.

It's not so much stretching, more cropping. However I remember a few posts from DF saying the widescreen version was the preferred framing. I would imagine it is similar to movies "open matte" format, where the 4:3 version shows more, but the director isn't really considering what gets shown there, hence the occasional visible boom arm and other visible mistakes. That's obviously not a problem here cause it's not filmed, yet no significant art is put in the extra areas. Honestly though, I think it's best just to play in whatever ratio is closest to your monitor.

Yep it was in one of their earlier dev posts game has 4:3 but is designed for 16:9 and everything outside that is called the widescreen safe area.

If the game was designed for 16:9, does that mean I get the far left and right edges cut off on my 16:10 monitor? I don't get black borders on the top/bottom of my screen, so I imagine that, unless they took into account the 16:10 ratio, it's probably stretching to fill vertically, then cropping the left/right edges.

The game was designed (as in, that is the aspect ratio of e.g. the backgrounds) in 4:3.

We chose 4:3 because it is our authoring aspect ratio

Everyone who has not a 4:3 screen can:

You guys will be able to choose whether or not you want to see letterbox bars, so if you want to see all of the pixels even on a 16:9 or 16:10 display you can make that happen. :-)

So either crop/stretch or letterbox. Link: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/10242/P50/

In light of this, if 1280x1024 really isn't supported, it's likely to be a mistake, since it doesn't really make sense not to have it.

Sign in to follow this