Sign in to follow this  
kringel

[Poll] Beyond Act 2: Would you do this again? DFA2, anyone?

Would you help kickstarting another (less or more classic) adventure game from Double Fine?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Would you help kickstarting another (less or more classic) adventure game from Double Fine?

• YES!
    • No.

LucasArts released an adventure game around every single or 2-3 years in the golden times.

And Double Fine showed that they can do an adventure game very properly. And now they have done a lot of engine work already, which can be reused. etc. I think it would be interesting after seeing the sales numbers of Broken Age, if this could be a successful business model for Double Fine.

So, a logical conclusion: How about kickstarting a DFA2 in 2015? Would you support this?

Hurray, 100% voted yes!! Never mind that it's only four people at this point %-P

YES!

After playing The Cave and Broken Age Act 1... I want more. :coolgrin:

Yes, I'd jump at the chance to fund another adventure. I'd pledge more this time than last time, too (for some reason I just went in with the basic pledge for DFA, I'd likely go $100+ dollars on the next one).

I hope the vocal minority with grudges and grievances doesn't put them off, I've really loved this whole process and the game is an amazing bonus at the end of it.

I was a slacker backer on this one, and would definitely be in on another game as a proper backer :)

As for classic vs less classic, I love the classic games but I would be very happy to back an original project that takes a few more risks, deviating from the tropes of the genre. The Cave is, in a way, an example of this - they did something quite new there, and I would love to see Double Fine experiment with more unique ideas, but still keeping some of the basics of adventure gaming.

I'm also very interested in the whole creation process, and would want more of that. I don't know if another documentary is what I would want.. Perhaps one that's released after the game and contains all the spoilers you can only see after playing, because I think that can help me learn more about the design process. But really I would love to see some kind of article series, written by members of the team, something like the posts they put on the forums, but more whole - covering all the steps in the process.

This would be quite a lot of work though, so I don't know if it's manageable while actually making a game.

Many years ago, I read a series of articles like this by an indie developer who was making his first game and writing about it, and I really loved it. It's still available here:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17543

http://www.adventuregamers.com/about/author/151/P15

I guess this is the kind of thing I would love to see, but from an experienced developer's point of view.

Double Fine have released 3 adventure games (well, 2.5 I guess) in the past 4 years (Stacking, The Cave, BA), after going a decade without making one. I suspect this'll be the last adventure game we see from them for a while. Whilst I'd LOVE them to keep making adventure games- be it point'n'click or more console-ish Cave/Stacking-like adventures- I suspect we'll be waiting a while.

In fact, someone made a thread suggesting this was a final swan song to adventure games from Double Fine. That thought had occurred to me too, but I hope not. Even if it takes another 5 years, I'd still like, if not flat-out adventure games, than more "adventure-gamey" titles from them. But we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm still damn grateful for the last few years in terms of adventure gaming though. Both from Double Fine, and elsewhere. I went through 5-6 years there where I'd stopped playing adventures altogether, and there wasn't a great deal of stuff being produced. The last 4 or 5 years though have been pretty damn great.

Oh, and yes. I'd throw more money away quite happily.

While this game is a good game in its own right and I certainly not regret backing it due to the excellent documentary and the great time I had with the community and watching Tim Schafer and team at work, this is not the game I wanted, and I feel what I wanted was implied with the Kickstarter.

Defenders can twist and turn it how they like, a fact is that my (and other's) understanding of Tim's description of this project in the pitching video does not match with the end product (at least as far as Act 1 is concerned). Therefore, for me it wouldn't feel right to pay for a new game beforehand again.

Unless Act 2 amps up the puzzle complexity significantly and so waves all my concerns over board that is, of course.

I would definitely donate money and also more money again because I love the game and since they have an engine...Why the hell not? Adventure games are not dead anymore! Only Problem is the difficulty and complexity of the Puzzles though. But there has been so much criticism about that concern that I am really looking forward to act 2.... and DFA2 of course. :)

And Double Fine showed that they can do an adventure game very properly.

Well, that is the thing that is in question.

I guess in kinda depends on the specifics. Right now, the answer is no. And another KS like this is certainly something I'll never support again. But if the details of the supposed game are clearly described, possibly even with a playable prototype, and I decide I like it ... maybe?

Edit:

@lowridaa "Adventure games are not dead anymore!" <-- That is one part of the problem of differing perceptions resp. the explanation of them, by the way. It's actually a misconception. I saw that in a lot of reviews too. BA didn't "revive" adventure games, because they were never dead. You people just didn't notice them. So every conclusion based on that premise almost has to be kinda skewed.

Yup. Even if they effed the game up which thank the lords they didn't, the documentary episodes alone were worth my money. Where in the world would you get so much entertainment for a measly $25?

I would do it so fast, it would look like I had done it before the KickStarter page was even up.

While I feel I got more from this project than I ever could have hoped for with my pledge of 111$, I'm not sure I would back another project. There are already far more awesome games out there than I ever will get a chance to play, so I don't see a need to help make something awesome else happen.

So...maybe?

100% yes. I was a $100 backer, and I would back a new kickstarter for a new adventure game from DF with at least $100 again.

We still haven't gotten the complete game yet, but I would say that it's clear that this team has a special talent for making adventure games. Even though people might have some issues with the game, but there are so many small details that they got right, that other adventure game developers misses.

Kickstarter or not, I really hope that the team wants to do a game like this again. That goes for everyone, from Tim to Oliver to Anna to Lee to Ray to Camden and everyone else. The crunch for Act 1 must have been exhausting, and there's act 2 to do, but I really hope that you guys aren't sick of the genre now or by the release of Act 2.

It would be a shame if the framework created for the game, and the experience and gained by the team wasn't put to use for another adventure game.

No. Most likely not.

I love Broken Age, but I don't believe Kickstarter is a healthy way to make games. Obviously, Publishing at large seems pretty heinous, but I would rather see the Publishing industry improve than Kickstarter thrive. Kickstarter's just too many people, and people are often stupid. Also, the cost for high-profile game development is too high for the number of backers, and increasing the number of backers simply makes pleasing them a worse impossibility and creates far too much ill will. The DFA experience has been brilliant, because of the documentary, and because I believe I understand what DF was thinking in making this particular product, and not what some consider an "old-school adventure". But, in general, I'd much prefer crowdfunding to be reserved for lower profile projects (that should still manage to receive up to a few millions depending on various factors), and I don't really believe in it as a model for future, bigger budget productions. I genuinely believe some projects suffer from crowdfunding - and I'd rather have no product than a bad one. Broken Sword 5, for instance, just feels like a game that got far too little money; but if the developer misjudged their budget, what are they going to do*? Not delivering means an ignoble end to their career, if it's a high-profile project. Going to a publisher is only marginally better, because it's going to be perceived as a betrayal. It's sort of a vicious cycle, the whole thing.

Then there's the obsessive-compulsive thing; I refuse to pay too much upfront on a gamble, which Kickstarters always are (you don't get a say, you don't have reviews or word of mouth to rely on, you don't know if an alien invasion is going to sweep the developer away), but sometimes unique awards are locked behind high pledge tiers, and then I'll never get to see them (i.e. DF Adventure Book, or boxed versions sometimes); whereas retail products rarely work this way.

As for "classic adventure games"... I so don't care. Pitch me something interesting and original and I'll see if I want to pledge, but I'm not patron to any genre. Hm. Maybe that's why I'm able to enjoy Broken Age more than some.

*There's still a lot to be seen, but I think I would have preferred Broken Age not to be split into two acts, for instance.

Probably. I would need to see the pitch. I'd support another adventure game if there's a clear indication there would be a heavier focus on puzzles, for instance.

I'm already on record as saying that if I had known what they were planning to release, I would not have funded it for the amount I did two years before release. If they want another game like Broken Age, it is very likely that I will end up buying it, but rather unlikely that I would participate in a Kickstarter for it.

I would do this if it was a Sam and Max game... or at least a game where Sam and Max make cameo appearances.

I would argue that they have yet to show they can make a good adventure game, but I'd still back another one.

Currently i doubt it, certainly not the same way with all this enthusiasm, the amount, talking many friends into funding. I don't feel like this when looking at the game DF has made so far and the way it was released but if the game actually will be an adventure, something i'm interested in, finished, available in a not delayed DRM free version and without privacy issues, ... then of course i'll buy it after release. Maybe act 2 and future improvements can get me into this mood again. I don't mind mistakes being made this much, you can learn and improve from those but this also needs the right mindset/intention.

As long as 2PP are involved. I would have paid as much for the documentary as the game if I knew it would be this good.

While I voted for "yes", there are a few caveats.

Broken Age is a game that framed the start of a new era in game publishing, the results of which remain to be seen. It was in the right place at the right time with the right ideas, and thus gained a considerable amount of charm and mysticism. That is not something I feel can be replicated or expanded upon, and any game striving to do so would likely suffer from trying it. Instead, I would love it if Double Fine took similarly bold leaps in their new graphic adventure, and made something completely different.

I think I would also back a new project as long as it has humour in it again and there will be a documentation again.

I hope that another adventure would also address the problems with this game (too few points to interact with, add looking at again with tons of funny interactions, harder puzzles).

But I doubt that the next kickstarterproject would raise more than 1.5 M even if they promise to address this issues. And this time the money from kickstarter would have to be enough to make a full game! ;) So a lot less graphical polish, I guess.

These results are fairly encouraging, although it's only been a few days. Looking at about the 90% yes, 10% no... Obviously it would depend greatly on what kind of project was being funded, but if they went in with some more information up-front, I suspect they'd do pretty well.

Add to that people who didn't pledge the first time around and so aren't on these forums too, people that missed out, etc... I think it could get anywhere from $2M - $4M, depending on the timing, how act 2 turns out and what kind of pitch they have.

These results are fairly encouraging, although it's only been a few days. Looking at about the 90% yes, 10% no... Obviously it would depend greatly on what kind of project was being funded, but if they went in with some more information up-front, I suspect they'd do pretty well.

Add to that people who didn't pledge the first time around and so aren't on these forums too, people that missed out, etc... I think it could get anywhere from $2M - $4M, depending on the timing, how act 2 turns out and what kind of pitch they have.

If only you could fund a modern video game with 130 people on a hardcore forum!

The vote lacks some more fine-grades.

I would back the same pitch with the same goal again. An important point of that was the documentary.

For example I did not back Massive Chalice because the documentary level I was interested (download of it), was at the $50 level and I didn't had that much interest in the game itself. If they had the same reward structure as on DFA I would have most likely chipped in for $30. So the reward structure/price point is a relevant factor, too.

And personally I would like to wait to actually play Broken Age before making that decision. Which is another point that makes me hesitate a bit - that initial Act 1 was not planned to release DRM-free. But DF said they changed that and will release it soonish (this month), so I'm forgiving on that. Without that change it would make it quite hard to convince me to back again.

I think even without the Documentary I might back again, if the pitch/game sounds interesting. I backed other Games, too - and I can't say right now that I'm unsatisfied with what I have seen so far. But I couldn't play Act 1 so far, that might change.

To sum it up: I would say it is quite likely that I would back another similar KS.

If only you could fund a modern video game with 130 people on a hardcore forum!

Yes, obviously these numbers are skewed to the very few who have voted so far, and out of those voting in a hardcore, dedicated forum. But... Even so, I think many would likely pledge more money, may who never pledged first time around would want in on the action, and I suspect the majority of the 'bad-mouthing' comes from the vocal minority of the hardcore crowd, too. I wouldn't be expecting any more funding than last time to be honest, but I suspect at least $2M as an initial Kickstarter would be feasible.

I think ChristianSt has a good point too about the documentary... I wonder if it would work much better having something like this set-up instead...

Documentary is free to everyone, backers and non-backers. This helps draw in the crowd.

At any pledge level, you get access to private forums. This creates a close-knit 'insider' community feel.

At the $30 level, you get access to a monthly 1 hour live-cast with Tim or someone from the team where they discuss a few points about development, answer submitted questions. This encourages higher average pledges for a small, relatively low-impact and sustainable event.

I think overall this would get the word out post-Kickstarter, draw in people to the site, encourage extra pledges or for others to upgrade to a $30+ pledge / slacker backer pledge.

If Act II is anything like Act I, no. Not from Double Fine. I don't regret backing BA, despite what it eventually became. The novelty of the documentary wouldn't be there, and I'm not interested in supporting this new slew of solely story-driven adventure games. I'd buy it after it came out, though, I'm sure. If they specifically said they weren't going to follow BA's example and would make it a little more difficult and more about puzzles the next time around, then I would probably back it. Not for as much as I backed BA, though, because there is no guarantee. BA's Kickstarter taught me a valuable lesson about expectations.

I would probably support another adventure game via crowdsourcing, but I'm hoping that DF reaches a certain level of success this year that they could finance such a project internally (or at least not depend primarily on crowdsourcing).

That is to say, I wish them the best such that they won't need to use kickstarter, but I'm quite happy with Broken Age (and the entire development/documentary process) and would be there to help out if DF needed it.

I would definitely back something like this again the documentary was really interesting and Double Fine always has my support. But I really think they should try to move away from it, even if fiscally there may be no choice but to continue to kick-start some of their future projects, I'd much rather it if Double Fine managed to get itself into a position where it could support itself without that sort of thing.

Sign in to follow this