Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kringel

[Poll] Beyond Act 2: Would you do this again? DFA2, anyone?

Would you help kickstarting another (less or more classic) adventure game from Double Fine?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Would you help kickstarting another (less or more classic) adventure game from Double Fine?

• YES!
    • No.

Do people not enjoy the level of involvement and customisation offered by a Kickstarter campaign?

For example, I donated above $100 levels to the Torment: Tides of Numenera and Project Eternity Kickstarters because I loved being able to have physical collectors boxes and items related to the product. I can't afford the higher tiers, like having a visit to the offices, or getting signed merchandise, name in the credits, or even having some input into the game (like designing an item or NPC)... But some people must be very happy to have that level of involvement. For me that is one of the best things about a Kickstarter, how you can tailor your pledge and donate above and beyond the base cost of the game to get additional items.

I'd be happy for Double Fine to have the budget to do what they want, but still run a Kickstarter to gauge interest, increase the scope for the finished product and utilise for extra polish or advertising. This looks like the model that inXile want to use with their games and I'm happy to support that, even if they eventually get enough money to completely self-fund, I think it's awesome to give their players the opportunity to decide how much they are willing to pay and what kind of perks they would like.

No. Only dev I've backed twice is inXile and that's because Planescape Torment is one of my favourite games. But in general I'd prefer for the devs to be able to use the profits they gather from their KS projects to eventually enable them to make more games.

Too early to tell. I'll decide after Act 2. I don't regret backing because of the documentary and the experience on the whole, but I think the game has design issues (too many easy / "reverse" puzzles), so I'm disappointed from that point of view.

The jury is still out. ;-)

maybe :)

depends on act 2 and coming with documentary or not ..

..but if they'd guarantee megamonkey mode, they could count me in no matter what ;)

Nah, I'll be too busy playing all of DF's other upcoming games. I would support another public AF (or another dozen public AFs) in a heartbeat though.

And actually, I'd also probably get in on another Kickstarter, but I'm more excited for games that we know are coming (Hack 'n' Slash, Massive Chalice, Black Lake...) than the possibility of another adventure game Kickstarter.

depends on act 2 and coming with documentary or not ..[//quote]

The documentary is continuing through to Act 2. Pretty sure this has been announced a bunch of times (too lazy currently to dig up links).

Voted yes - but I would think twice about any other kind of game unless it was documented by 2PP. I backed Massive Chalice even though the game type wasn't of massive interest (yuk yuk) to me. I kind of regret it now as the free for all, live stream, unedited documentary style is just too much info to consume and just not as compelling as the 2PP documentaries - its a shame too as I think MC doco's done by 2PP would have been really great.

The documentary is continuing through to Act 2. Pretty sure this has been announced a bunch of times (too lazy currently to dig up links).

Is White Birch the only game from that AF that isn't being turned into a full game?

Is White Birch the only game from that AF that isn't being turned into a full game?

when was black lake announced? totally missed that

depends on act 2 and coming with documentary or not ..

yeah, i know that the documentary will go on in act 2..

..what i meant is that to me it depends on how act 2 turns out and whether *the new game* comes with a documentary, too ;)

I would rather see DF being able to fund the game on their own, without relying on Kickstarter or a publisher. Having to crowd fund every game just isn't sustainable in the long run.

That's not to say that I won't support DF if they make another Kickstarter project (I probably will). But to me, that could indicate that they're not doing as well financially as they (and we) would like.

I backed this game based on previous doublefine/tim schafer games. I didn't back massive chalice (I know there is a completely separate team working on it) and won't back another game until this one has been fully released.

I have enjoyed what I played so far but I don't like throwing more support/money at people that haven't finished what they initially said they were going to do. Like someone else said hopefully they can use profits from broken age to either fully make another adventure game or at least get the ball rolling before attempting the crowd funding approach again. It should be easier the second time since they won't have to create another brand new game engine.

I would back again in a heartbeat, assuming the same reward tiers as the original DFA Kickstarter.

Defenders can twist and turn it how they like, a fact is that my (and other's) understanding of Tim's description of this project in the pitching video does not match with the end product (at least as far as Act 1 is concerned). Therefore, for me it wouldn't feel right to pay for a new game beforehand again.

Frankly, that's your own fault. In the very second update they released

which covers, basically, exactly what their design philosophy is. It describes, to a T, what they attempted, and what they attempted was very nearly what they produced, except better.

Broken Age holds up very, very well, even looking at the design principles of 1989.

Broken Age holds up very, very well, even looking at the design principles of 1989.

I thought about Ron's manifesto when I was playing. To me, the violation of #4 sounds a big problem, considering I'm ALSO facing easy puzzles.

Agreed. That, I think, was the bigger problem with Broken Age --- not that it had easy/logical puzzles but that I already had the items in my inventory from the start. Even if you forgive Grabbin' Gary because he's hilarious throughout the game, you still have basically every puzzle except a few in Shellmound, and the tree vomit.

Still, that's an easy enough lesson to learn, and a hard one to implement.

The druid's riddle was a great moment for me in that regard though, as I did not have the answer in my inventory at the time and so I had to wrack my brain just a little bit. It was great, and a very nice little throwback to adventure games of old.

In any case, what would you guys want a new Double Fine adventure to be?

I would like to see an experiment in restrictions, and how to best make use of them. So, I'm thinking low resolution or actual pixel art for graphics (with optional filters like xBRZ and a good NTSC TV emulator), and chiptunes or an approximation of midi (without it actually being midi) for music and sounds. The game itself should be on the long side (at least 12 hours) and have lots of puzzles, in all kinds of variants and implementations. While I would favor a storyline with conflicts and strife, something focused on whimsy and absurdity would be good too, as Double Fine certainly knows how to make it work. There should be some amount of pixel hunting, but not enough to break the flow of the game. Interface-wise I'm not sure, but it would definitely have to be at least somewhat more streamlined than in the SCUMM days.

So, how would you envision a new Double Fine adventure?

Sign in to follow this