Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scakes

Question about asteroids impacts

Everyone knows asteroid impacts cause fires, but I have two questions.

1. What does it take for an asteroid to actually destroy a wall/floor piece? I've never actually seen this happen, but I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that my spacebases are always in low, extremely low or ridiiculously low Threat sectors.

2. Can asteroid impacts directly hurt my denizens? I've never seen clear evidence that one or more asteroids colliding with the roof of my base right above a cowering person have killed that person.

The reason I'm asking is because I feel incentivised to have as many people in an area of my base due for asteroid showers as possible, simply because the more nearby people there are when a fire breaks out, the faster it goes out. It feels strange to want to turn the alarms on in every part of the base except the part with the big red target symbol above it...

Everyone knows asteroid impacts cause fires, but I have two questions.

1. What does it take for an asteroid to actually destroy a wall/floor piece? I've never actually seen this happen, but I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that my spacebases are always in low, extremely low or ridiiculously low Threat sectors.

2. Can asteroid impacts directly hurt my denizens? I've never seen clear evidence that one or more asteroids colliding with the roof of my base right above a cowering person have killed that person.

The reason I'm asking is because I feel incentivised to have as many people in an area of my base due for asteroid showers as possible, simply because the more nearby people there are when a fire breaks out, the faster it goes out. It feels strange to want to turn the alarms on in every part of the base except the part with the big red target symbol above it...

Well, you need to be really careful with asteroids, and somehow I lost someone, I think they were flying outside the base and got struck, because my pop count went down and I could not find a body.

I would say keeping them out of impact zones is a good idea, and sending in actual security after is better then having your crew set themselves on fire trying to stop out every flame. I've built fire extinguishers all over my base at every intersection and somehow folks still decided to stomp out flames. And letting your objects burn doesn't see to do all that much since they can be repaired back to working, unless the strike hits your main O2 area.

For some reason asteroids love to strike my residences, so folks are all asleep when they hit. I'm a little frustrated as to what I'm supposed to do here, but then again I've only started playing. Will installing alarms wake them up? Or do alarms only consider intruders as threats?

For some reason asteroids love to strike my residences, so folks are all asleep when they hit. I'm a little frustrated as to what I'm supposed to do here, but then again I've only started playing. Will installing alarms wake them up? Or do alarms only consider intruders as threats?

Alarms are magic, they will panic to the next room, even if they were asleep.

To build on M-Gates' answer - the alarms are manually controlled, so you can activate them at any time. I also like using them for when I need to evac a room for room expansions into space.

Sign in to follow this