Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saoirse

Has anybody noticed that lots of Tim Schafer fans...

I'm male myself, so I wouldn't actually know, but Tim must be the only guy in the games industry with his own fangirls.

Maybe it's the chin hairs.

Although if I had to make a serious guess, I've always thought adventure games in general are more likely to appeal to women as well as men than, say, violent FPS games. Not that women don't enjoy those, and likewise plenty of guys aren't fans of them either, but with adventure games the real reason for playing them is the great stories, and everyone appreciates a good story.

It's that sexy piece of curly hair that falls down in front of his face sometimes~ Ooh~

But really, I've noticed that, as well!

Most guys are too busy being all "OMG HALO. OMG RESIDENT EVIL. OMG MORTAL COMBAT." to actually look for a neat game, cause thye're too bust killing things. Female gamers are an interesting species, cause we're expierenced at shopping and looking for good deals. Pssha, I'd bet a bunch of people have seen Psychonauts in Wal-Mart bargin bins.

Well, it's obvious that Peter Molyneux is the true ladys-man. I've never really noticed that Tim had a big female following. If this is true, maybe he should be like LL Cool J. And change his name to LLTS. Ladies love Tim Schafer. Maybe the overall innocent nature of the game, is more appealing then lots of murder sims like everyone else is saying.

Knowing it would scare Tim, no.

Honestly? Girls are more willing ti buy something different and quirky than men, who have some odd set of 'man rules'. Many of which are stupid.

OMG RESIDENT EVIL.

*sniffle* What about us who are Resident Evil fan girls? :,(

Not to a weird obbsesive extent like some people though. D:

You know, like... "HOLYSNAPSIMUSTFINDOUTTHEBACKROUNDHISTORYOFCHRISREDFEILDFROMTHE TIMEHEWASBORNANDLEARNSECRETSCAPCOMNEVEREVENSAID!!!!" Seriously, I know a person like that. She really scares me. She does the same to Harry Potter. *hides*

Yaah, I've just noticed most of the people on this board who are active and have said are female. Doesn't neccicarily mean he has a bigger female fan following than a guys who are fans of him, but I've noticed a similar pattern at my school. Out of all the people I accidently got hooked onto Psychonauts, a majority are girls. There's still alot of guys though.

Honestly? Girls are more willing ti buy something different and quirky than men, who have some odd set of 'man rules'. Many of which are stupid.

Don't even go there girl. ;) Women are founded on stupid rules. ;)

*Busts out a diamond and throws it into a pit of fire.*

Women will do anything for shiny impractical rocks. ;)

Haha, totally right. Initially I didn't want to buy this game because it looked weird and cartoony...what a mistake that was.

Haha, totally right. Initially I didn't want to buy this game because it looked weird and cartoony...what a mistake that was.

I bought it because it looked different than everything else -and- looked like fun from the first time I saw it. Sadly, most people fall into the category of people you just mentioned though and passed on the game on looks and assumptions alone. The exception being us loyal fans and/or people who don't hold prejudices over a game's gameplay and story based soley on the art direction of the game.

Yeah, true, that and the fact that platformers aren't exactly a very popular genre these days...I'd say a lot more people are picking up stuff like FPSes and RPGs.

Yeah, true, that and the fact that platformers aren't exactly a very popular genre these days...I'd say a lot more people are picking up stuff like FPSes and RPGs.
I'd agree that platformers weren't popular on Xbox, and yet you could still find many platformer-adventure titles on the PS2 and Gamecube that did sell back then.

This generation of games hasn't really had the variety in genres to push the envelope in categories that aren't mass produced like the FPS and RPG genre. If there were platformer games available that were as good as the upper tier FPS games, then the genre wouldn't struggle as much today. People don't buy up low quality platformers just like they don't buy up low quality games from other genres. In the 8bit and 16bit eras you would be hard pressed to not find a platform adventure game that wasn't the number one seller on any console. In this era, it is shooters and rpgs so the diamond in the rough is usually dismissed because it can be assumed that the industry isn't paying attention to platformers, so why should consumers pay attention? I think it is a perception thing really and it wouldn't be hard to shift the perception with good adventure platformers made available across all platforms. Nintendo supports it well on the DS, and now the Wii, but the PC/Xbox 360/PS3 fronts are scarce.

My thoughts are that devs try to play it safe and get FPS published to make money on the trend, rather than stepping up their innovation and supporting genres that wouldn't be dead if they'd only get off their asses and make them. That's just me though and how I percieve the current industry trends. Off the top of my head only a handful of devs are making games in the adventure-platform genre that actually put forth effort into quality control:

Double Fine (captain obvious to the rescue!)

Naughty Dog (Jax and Daxter)

Insomniac Games (Ratchet and Clank)

Nintendo (Mario, mario, and mario, and a few others)

Rare (yet to be proven beyond the likes of Kameo and Conker.. hopefully Banjo Kazooie is good.)

As you can see, that is one handful and it is small in contrast to the amount of devs putting efforts into FPSs. Imagine if Epic or Bungie made an adventure-platformer (holds back laugh), and put the same effort into it as they have Halo 3 or Gears of War.. some people wouldn't think that the industry got turned upside down.. :lol: ..but I'd bet more people would buy adventure-platformers then because that is what people would pay attention to.

Double Fine (captain obvious to the rescue!)

Naughty Dog (Jax and Daxter)

Insomniac Games (Ratchet and Clank)

Nintendo (Mario, mario, and mario, and a few others)

Rare (yet to be proven beyond the likes of Kameo and Conker.. hopefully Banjo Kazooie is good.)

It's also a shame Ubisoft seem to have abandoned the Rayman franchise's roots as a platformer and instead gone for the much cheaper option of Minigame collections. Rayman 2 and 3 were genius platformers.

I didn't think Halo was all that...I liked Timesplitters better, but nobody on this forums knows about that. [cries] Are you calling me a girl?

I didn't think Halo was all that...I liked Timesplitters better, but nobody on this forums knows about that. [cries] Are you calling me a girl?

Halo is seriously overrated. Multiplayer is good, but nothing overly special, plenty of online PC shooters are better, and the first game's single player was entertaining for about two levels before it just got so repetetively dull.

Timesplitters is win. God damn monkeys are made of win, although Handyman is easily the best character ever.

Edit: Actually, my love for Timesplitters is so high that if they release a TS4 with any form of online mode I'll be forced to buy a 360 or PS3 to particiate in the madness.

Timesplitters is win. God damn monkeys are made of win, although Handyman is easily the best character ever.

Thank you! It's about time.

God, the game has zombie monkeys. What more could you ask for?

I bought it because it looked different than everything else -and- looked like fun from the first time I saw it. Sadly, most people fall into the category of people you just mentioned though and passed on the game on looks and assumptions alone. The exception being us loyal fans and/or people who don't hold prejudices over a game's gameplay and story based soley on the art direction of the game.

I first ssaw an add for it on the back of a magazine in a public library years ago and the art style is what first intrested me. I kept seeing it and thought "Dang it, I MUST know more about this game!"

Then I looked it up and all it's info on the internet and loved what I saw. I never got a chance to buy it for awhile and the EBGames across the street always mocked me with it's big Psychonauts poster ad in the window. Some months later, after my birthday, I saw the PC version on a shelf at best buy, all by itself. I snatched it up right away with my money, knowing it was now or never!

Then I went home, tried to instal it, but it crashed my pc... I was sad. Then I got the computer fixed up and made it into a total gameing computer and now all in the land of Apple Pop was happily ever after. The End.

Or is it?

^Cool. I think I first found Psychonauts in a preview of OXM (us edition) honestly. After that, I found more info on teamXbox, IGN, Gamespot, etc., etc.

I'm not sure that his games appeal to women in particular, but they don't have a lot of the more 'masculine' attributes (like sacrificing cleverness and great dialogue and story for more variations on the theme of shooting things) that a lot of other current games have, so they may draw in a broader base. I was wondering also if a greater percentage of women play adventure games than platformers, and if Tim's adventure roots may have attracted female fans (like myself), but it seems like most people found it through other means entirely...

Hey, I was a total fangirl for John Carmack (uh, Doom, Quake...) first, but then I fell out of love with him and in love with Schafer. <3 <3

=P

Oh, and my name is the same as his wife's. Except I think her's has an extra "a".

God, I hated timesplitters. I just didn't like the layout. And the story was kinda tarded.

Sign in to follow this