Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Who

DRM Free?

My wife and I paid for the 30 tier. I want to share the experience of the game with my wife. My wife doesn't have Steam nor use it. Why does humblebunde only gives me steamkeys not other options to download?

My wife and I paid for the 30 tier. I want to share the experience of the game with my wife. My wife doesn't have Steam nor use it. Why does humblebunde only gives me steamkeys not other options to download?

The game isn't done yet. My understanding is that once the game is complete (Read: Act 2 has been added to the game), DF will release the DRM-free version via Humble. It's coming; all you need is a bit of patience.

Question: Why is the Steam version, which seems to be good enough to be sold since over a week via Steam, not good enough to be offered on a DRM free distribution channel too?

Question: Why is the Steam version, which seems to be good enough to be sold since over a week via Steam not good enough for a DRM free distribution channel?

Because Steam is not DRM-free? And not everyone has or wants a Steam account?

Question: Why is the Steam version, which seems to be good enough to be sold since over a week via Steam not good enough for a DRM free platform?

The Steam version gets bug updates. They probably want to nail a stable enough version.

I would have preferred a reasonable answer from DF instead.

"Steam is not DRM-free" is both reasonable and correct.

Look, i've rephrased the question, so that you might understand it a little bit better by now.

Look, i've rephrased the question, so that you might understand it a little bit better by now.

I think Starker's response is still relevant.

Nope, not really.

Double fine already said the drm version is coming probably as soon as the game reaches a stable version. They still have done some bug fixes lately.

Steam reportedly has really simple game management, unified libraries for Linux, etc... a lot of stuff that makes releasing a game easy, and from what I've heard no other place comes close. It's second hand knowledge, though. Haven't released a game on Steam (or anywhere).

DF had more trust into Steam as a lucrative first distribution platform than into DRM free ones for this kind of project. This money is important to them, so they didn't want to screw it up. Although cracks were available for the game since day 1, only a minority accesses them, the hurdle Steam offers is already enough for the majority. Otherwise there is no reason why a project (unless the project lead sucks completely) of this size and with this history doesn't plan a reasonable Steam/DRM free (humble) release of act 1 from day 1 on (way smaller Indies get this done). It can feel like a kick into the faces of those who were backing for a DRM free game though but i think this is how DF set the priorities. Give the Steam version some lead time in order to secure sales.

I don't believe it has much to do with the money. I also thought that this DRM free release of Act 1 was only going to be available for backers. In that case it's not like they'll lose any money.

I don't believe it has much to do with the money. I also thought that this DRM free release of Act 1 was only going to be available for backers. In that case it's not like they'll lose any money.

Well, backers and whoever gets it via Humble. It's likely that Broken Age will eventually be sold DRM-free in a Humble Bundle, via the Humble Store, or the DF Shop via the Humble API.

They released it on Steam because it's the largest single digital game distribution platform, period. They also have an existing relationship with Steam and could release it without having to go through a publisher.

For the beta, They opted to use Steam for the ability to easily push updates to end users. I think that's the reason why they initially only planned a Steam release of Act 1, so that they could easily push Act 2 to all users. Those that get the Act 1 DRM-free release will likely have to manually download and update the with the complete version of the game once Act 2 is released.

I'm guessing Double Fine will hold back on other store platforms until after Act 2, to simplify the support in terms of making sure everyone has the complete game. Once Act 2 is finished, they'll probably release the complete game on GOG and other platforms. Humble Store may be used for bundles of the game + soundtrack + documentary.

Humble Store may be used for bundles of the game + soundtrack + documentary.

There are different implementations of the 'Humble Store'. The Humble Store proper, which is accessible through humblebundle.com, generally does not offer anything beyond the games (for multiple platforms + Steam)--only when the games are bought in their bundles do they come with goodies, like the soundtrack and video clips.

Then there's the Humble Store API, which is what Double Fine uses to sell Psychonauts in the DF Shop. This is a little Humble Store widget embedded in the Shop page for Psychonauts that uses Humble to facilitate the transaction and the distribution of data. The particular item set up for these transactions does, however, include the soundtracks (Likely because you're buying [somewhat more] directly from DF).

So, Broken Age will likely show up in the Humble Store as just the game (plus Steam key), but it will equally likely show up in the DF Shop as a DRM-free download with the soundtracks via the Humble API widget-thing.

The documentary, I think, has a good chance of showing up in the DF Shop as a separate download (If not bundled with Broken Age) or a physical Blu-ray package.

A DRM-free version of Broken Age is now in my Humble Library, ready to download.

And also looks like it's available for purchase on the Humble Store and via the Humble widget on DF's site.

Bravo!

And also looks like it's available for purchase on the Humble Store and via the Humble widget on DF's site.

So I looked at these, and you're mostly correct.

First, it is available via the Humble Store, but that version does not come with the soundtrack. It says that the soundtrack was written by Peter McConnell, but does not say you get the soundtrack separately, so don't bet on getting it with your purchase. (There is not a separate Humble Store purchase that I saw that included the soundtrack.

Second, while there is a link in the DF Shop to download a DRM-free version of Broken Age, it brings you to the Slacker Backer page, which tells you Slacker Backer access is no longer for sale; however, it is available via the Humble widget on brokenagegame.com, both with and without the soundtrack. I think the DF Shop link was an oversight, and you should probably expect it to start linking to brokenagegame.com in the future.

First, it is available via the Humble Store, but that version does not come with the soundtrack. It says that the soundtrack was written by Peter McConnell, but does not say you get the soundtrack separately, so don't bet on getting it with your purchase.
You can get the soundtrack at: http://doublefine.bandcamp.com/album/broken-age-original-soundtrack

The soundtrack isn't included in the Steam or for all backers (I think it was $30 level), but is also sold separately on Steam. I don't know why humble isn't selling it separately. Backers who did get the soundtrack got it on Humble, so the lack of selling it there must be an oversight (like the bad link to slacker backing).

The soundtrack isn't included in the Steam or for all backers (I think it was $30 level), but is also sold separately on Steam. I don't know why humble isn't selling it separately. Backers who did get the soundtrack got it on Humble, so the lack of selling it there must be an oversight (like the bad link to slacker backing).

Humble isn't really in the market of selling soundtracks--they sell games. I don't believe they sell only the soundtracks to anything in the Humble Store (Normally they, and other goodies, are reserved for bundles, if anything).

Bandcamp, on the other hand, specializes in music, and is a great place for artists and developers to sell their music (Because it's DRM-free, and available in a range of lossy and lossless formats).

Sign in to follow this