That Guy With The Glasses thread.

I've seen of his last ten years of filmography:

Frankenweenie

Dark Shadows

Alice in Wonderland

Sweeney Todd

Corpse Bride

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Basically the only ones I didn't like of these were Dark Shadows and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And I *really* didn't like them. And it's a toss up between Sweeney Todd and Corpse Bride for my favorite of the bunch.

Avoid his Planet of the Apes. Terrible film.
I disagree, that was one of my favorites.

Also I really don't think nostalgia critic is funny.

Yay, new NC episode - Disney Afternoon (1990-1997).

So he's copying JonTron now. Typical. :P

I knew some people would say, OMG, NC is reviewing a film that JonTron reviewed, he's ripping off JonTron.

There was the perfect setup for a JonTron cameo as well, and they wasted it. Bad Critic, BAD.

....wasn't Food Fight extremely well-known BEFORE the JonTron review?

NC talking about its semi-obscurity seemed really weird to me.

I think it was sort-of building momentum as an underground thing, but it hadn't really hit the mainstream yet.

Or something. I dunno.

All I can really say about his review of Food Fight is that JonTron did it better.

Oh my lord, it's a Nostalgia Critic Editorial that doesn't suck! Who'da thunk it?
Medacris is going to go crazy over this.

Yes, I enjoyed this immensely. And I agree with him, Walter Peck definitely has a point. It's just that he goes around acting like a total dick and putting peoples' lives in danger, while the 'Busters, despite being reckless, cowardly, and harming the environment, are much more likable people. Also, I think it's totally in character for them to spend money on pinball machines and arcade games instead of food.

Jon's review of Foodfight! was better, but I think the Brentalfloss-as-Mr.-Clean cameo fits better as a Nostalgia Critic joke, being that Brent has shown up in three different NC videos already, two of where he was cosplaying. I think the film was infamous before it came out as well, if mostly for being stuck in high-profile Development Hell for a decade, and because prior to Wreck-It Ralph and The LEGO Movie being released, the idea of another Roger Rabbit-type mascot crossover was a very uncommon idea. A lot of the commenters are also pointing out that Charlie Sheen was 30-something when he filmed this, while Hilary Duff was 15. Even though she's in her 30's now, that's still creepy.

Today's Editorial - Top 11 GOOD Things About The Star Wars Prequels.

Wait, there were good things?

Indeed, there were elements that could have worked with a better writer and director behind the trilogy.

Sadly, we got George Lucas, who is a massive idiot.

Cross-posting from the Telltale foru-COMMUNITY.

-x-

I find that as time goes on and people accumulate more fans, they tend to start doing videos specifically to please those fans rather than because they actually just want to make fun of a movie/game/whatever.

That's why I feel a lot of Doug Walker's stuff is nowhere near as good since he's come back. Don't get me wrong, there's still moments to be enjoyed in his reviews, but it's outweighed by all these elements that don't quite work. The choice of films (mostly recent big names). The skits that break the flow. The "it's crap but I can see how people enjoy it" bits at the end.

I dunno. It just feels like he's doing these reviews for the wrong reasons.

(I can't really speak about the other TGWTG guys since I only really watch a couple of others - Film Brain, Rap Critic and Todd, to be honest)

That reminds me of what happened to Nerd³. Only he noticed this before it was too late and did a "reboot" of his channel to return to making videos he wanted again.

That reminds me of what happened to Nerd³. Only he noticed this before it was too late and did a "reboot" of his channel to return to making videos he wanted again.

The reboot actually turned me off quite a bit, as it seems like he's getting way more cynical(and in some cases, political) than he used to. He recently dismissed a really great multiplayer game entirely(Starwhal) because he didn't like a reference they used, which was pretty much my "yeah, I think I'm done here" point.

(I can't really speak about the other TGWTG guys since I only really watch a couple of others - Film Brain, Rap Critic and Todd, to be honest)

Same, with the exception of MikeJ instead of Filmbrain.

Personally, I'm gravitating more towards the Normal Boots/Hidden Block reviewers, along with guys like Ashens, YMS and Scarfulhu(the last of whom just joined this forum, hey!), so maybe it'd be a good idea to make this more of a "general" video reviewer thread.

The "it's crap but I can see how people enjoy it" bits at the end.

This is why I don't have my own review show, I'd be so tempted to do this from the get-go. I don't know if it's because of the influence of other people, or because I want to see the good in most things/hate being negative, or what.

The whole point of a review is to deliver YOUR opinion on something. If you don't like something, then you have to explain why in an attempt to explain things from your point of view. If you can't do that, then you're gonna end up with a crappy review.

Take, for example, my review of The Man With The Golden Gun. I say at the start I think it's the Bond film, I spend the review pointing out the numerous bad things about it, and then at the end I sum up WHY I think it's the worst over the other bad films in the series. It ties the review together.

If, at the end, I'd conceded that I can see why people like the film, it would have seriously dulled the impact of all the negative things I'd said throughout the review. I'd essentially have been compromising my own opinion to please others.

Compare that to, say, the end of The Nostalgia Critic's review of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. He spends the entire review complaining about all the terrible changes and elements of the film, but at the end effectively lets Burton off the hook by saying something to the effect of "well, most of his films are bad but some are good so it kinda evens out". What kind of bulls**t is THAT? A bad film is a bad film, plain and simple. Don't cop out and make excuses! You're completely undoing the entirety of your review with an ending like that! Gah!

You know what I miss from NC. Two things, Old vs New and Raiders of the Story Arc. I mean sure the reviews are fine and the top 11 lists are great as always but I wish he would add them in for a bit of variety.

As for the I didn't know that series. I am really really happy for it as it's far better than the editorials. The editorials I really liked were ones that were basically mini reviews like Batman Season 4, Looney Tunes Show etc. But the editorials honestly were just getting old which I know some here agree with me on that.

Also in some non-NC news, Linkara finally reviewed Red Hood and the Outlaws issue 1 while it revealing another highly requested comic that will be reviewed in the summer.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/42973-red-hood-and-the-outlaws-1

Next week's review will be an animated fairytale film. Any guesses?

I'm not sure but I'll guess Hoodwinked Too. I actually really liked the first Hoodwinked but from the reviews of the second one, the second one sounded terrible.