Sign in to follow this  
SinbadEV

[Spoilers] Where and why did you get stuck in Act 1?

I have a few stories but the one that hurts the most is when I figured out how to get the fruit in Meriloft and had not yet realized "sometimes falling through the clouds is OK"... I walked around every inch or Meriloft spitting pits at people (and then going to get new fruits) in hopes that someone would respond to it.

I also cycled around Shay's missions for a while after getting the rest of the space suit modifications and hijacking preparations worked out because I hadn't realized that the whipped cream sprayer was something I could grab.

The longest and least productive I was stuck was when I thought I'd exhausted Curtis's dialog options and it hadn't occurred to me that new ones would show up just because I examined a nearby object.

I missed:

a. Driftwood in Shellmound.

b. Object at Curtis' place.

c. That you could use the ladder next to the blue bird.

d. Using the big shoes --- it really happened by accident --- on the ladder.

e. Shooting the tentacles, using the ladder.

Part of the problem is that once I tried looking up one answer, I ended up being spoiled on something else. It's kind of hard for me to quantify.

The only place I got stuck was the big shoes on the ladder. I was under the impression I had to find Gus and give them to him and he would repay me with some golden egg, or the ability to go up and get that golden egg. Oddly enough, I thought he was up in the hatchery, in which case I would have had to go past the golden egg anyways. I had already found Gus in the tree, and he makes some quick comment about going to the arcade. So i spent the next thirty minutes trying to find the path I missed in order to get to the arcade.

Other than that I ran right through it without getting stuck, took me about 7 hours total with a good amount of looking around for funsies.

The only place I got stuck was shooting the tentacles -- and I have to say: It wasn't fun being stuck! (But I did feel stupid for not getting it sooner.)

The longest I was stuck was when figuring out how to get that guy off the branch. It wasn't until I accidentally fell through the foreground and saw the modified cutscene that I knew what was up.

I honestly got supremely stuck on two puzzles, primarily due to not realizing you could combine items in Meriloft and being afraid of somehow not getting an item.

1. Obviously combing the ladder and shoes didn't occur to me at all. It took a break and me clicking things wildly before I got that to work.

2. Trying to get that dang bucket. I thought if I said 'Oh your hat makes you look fancy' I'd somehow lose my chance to get the bucket entirely. I'm not really sure why. I guess I'm used to being locked out of conversation topics if I experiment at all. I pretty much got through most of Vella's end game minus the bucket until I finally tried that one option. Oy, the egg on my face after that.

I have a few stories but the one that hurts the most is when I figured out how to get the fruit in Meriloft and had not yet realized "sometimes falling through the clouds is OK"... I walked around every inch or Meriloft spitting pits at people (and then going to get new fruits) in hopes that someone would respond to it.

The fruit in Meriloft for the Riddle was the only thing I missed! I think I was in that screen for like 5 times, before I noticed, that there is something you can take!

Interestingly this is the only time where my complain about having all things you need are really near was disproved! Probably because of that my mind was so dulled that I missed it!

Aside from that the game was really easy!

I got stuck at the very first puzzle - the one with the railroad and the bridge man! I've never played an adventure game before where you just click on things without selecting a verb, and it didn't occur to me to just click on the Bridge Man again. I tried combining every item in my inventory (which wasn't much) with the train, the bridge man and the yarn animals. I eventually had to google it, and actually didn't feel stupid when I found out the solution, because the solution felt so abstract for me.

I also got stuck with the blind guardians of the shrine, because I thought I had to talk to someone who could tell me the solution to the riddle. I never thought about giving them an item, so I had to google that, too. (I felt somewhat stupid then).

I honestly did not get ever stuck for more than 1-2 minutes in this game.

The only thing that comes to mind is that it took me a few extra minutes to get my bearings at the beginning of the game (knife puzzle).

I got stuck in two places, both in Vella's side:

That stupid cupcake. I don't know why it took me so long to figure out that I could actually get a cupcake, but for the longest time I was just going around Vella's house clicking everything BUT the cupcakes.

The second place was when you needed to put the ancient relic in the slot in the one eyed god's temple. It took me a really long time to figure out that the "art" in the cabin was the relic.

Those were really the only two places, though.

I didn't get the fruit the first time around in Meriloft since I got so focused on the egg and the guy on the branch. I didn't really feel my attention drawn to the far end of the tree, although I was curious about the empty nest. My Adventure Game senses were tingling, but I didn't pursue.

So it wasn't until I was in Shellmound that I figured it was worth the effort to go back up the ladder and look around. But man, that was rather frustrating.

Wait, you guys got stuck?

I literally never stopped. Every solution was patently obvious, and I usually had the key before I saw the lock. If I was ever the slightest bit unsure what to do, the game hints gave it away.

Wait, you guys got stuck?

I literally never stopped. Every solution was patently obvious, and I usually had the key before I saw the lock. If I was ever the slightest bit unsure what to do, the game hints gave it away.

The great thing about the times I got stuck was that in each case there was something that I was missing and by eventually blundering into the solution I leaned that thing... I'm pretty sure they spent the first half teaching "the rest of us" how to play Adventure Games... but I can see how that might suck if you didn't need to learn those things.

I've seen a few people get stuck. It's actually pretty easy if you aren't playing like a typical adventure gamer*.

* Click on everything, exhaust every dialog option, use everything on everything.

I've seen a few people get stuck. It's actually pretty easy if you aren't playing like a typical adventure gamer*.

* Click on everything, exhaust every dialog option, use everything on everything.

Are you serious? You're implying that the game ever left you hanging such that "using everything on everything" in a random fashion was a necessary strategy.

It's possible that my "adventure game experience" helped out, but I definitely didn't brute force my way through any puzzles. The solutions were always patently obvious.

Are you serious? You're implying that the game ever left you hanging such that "using everything on everything" in a random fashion was a necessary strategy.

It's possible that my "adventure game experience" helped out, but I definitely didn't brute force my way through any puzzles. The solutions were always patently obvious.

Yes, that was the big difference between adventure gamers and people who were somewhat new to it. For example, if you don't click the art in Curtis's cabin, you don't get an option to talk to him about it. The tree branch with the fruit was another spot that several people didn't click on. It's actually pretty easy to miss something if you're not being thorough. People leave the room without finishing the puzzle in it, etc.

Just watch a few blind let's play videos, if you don't believe me.

Only got stuck a little while for about 4 times. For instance I was trying to use the treestuff on the sand itself instead of giving it to the mayor.

I played many, many point & click adventures and love the genre but was never really good at playing them. I have to say this was one of the first games where I didn't have to use a walkthrough. (and I never even came close to looking up a walkthrough)

I never got stumped really. There were only two instances where I got hung up a bit. One was the final Mog Chothra battle, I couldn't exactly figure out what I was supposed to shoot at. Figured it out with time, of course. And it wasn't even that long. I can't remember for the life of me what the other instance was...it was equally solved in due course though.

Only longer stuck I had was with Shay and "rocket" for the space suit, as I didn't notice the whipped cream gun at first and kept thinking the solution to the puzzle would be the alien plant.

I got completely stuck on how to get Gus off the branch. Played through all of Shay's story in between, walked around Meriloft trying everything, waited a week, and then got it in a minute when I started the game up again.

Everything else was just a bit too obvious, sadly.

Pits.

I had zero association that I would get pits from a fruit. Maybe it's because I'm from the UK, maybe it's because I've always called them seeds or 'pips' for some reason, or maybe I've always miss-heard them as pips; but more so I associate them as seeds.

This play on words alluded me.

I also didn't realise which branch on the tree was the lowest hanging one because of the perspective and the clouds being behind it looking no different. I just clicked all over.

I love hearing all the different ways people got stuck. I think it is great that everybody has different areas that gave them trouble. The puzzle that took me the longest was the shoes-on-the-ladder one. It was mildly frustrating for 15-20 minutes but the feeling when I figured it out was AMAZING!

Sign in to follow this