Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

"An excellent thread."

Just watch how fast this thread descends into walls of Bible text and blasphemous comics. Quite hilarious!

Do you remember when humans used to live a couple hundred years?

Neither do I.

Well, records weren't exactly a big thing at the time, and there's also the fact that both testaments where written by people who weren't eye witnesses, but people who had heard the stories of the Apostles of Christ. As for the whole centuries thing, if God grants such a thing (personally, I do), than perhaps it is given to the ones whom God hand picks. Remember, these guys were prophets.

There's the scene at the diner where Jesus is wearing a yellow coat, but when they leave he's wearing a blue coat.

Well, records weren't exactly a big thing at the time, and there's also the fact that both testaments where written by people who weren't eye witnesses, but people who had heard the stories of the Apostles of Christ. As for the whole centuries thing, if God grants such a thing (personally, I do), than perhaps it is given to the ones whom God hand picks. Remember, these guys were prophets.

Why won't he do that anymore then.

Calendar years were shorter, like 10 months

You obviously live more years when a year is shorter

Jesus only handed out five loaves and two fish and ended up with seven bushel baskets full of the leftovers.

Jesus only handed out five loaves and two fish and ended up with seven bushel baskets full of the leftovers.

I wouldn't really call this a continuity error, because if the bible was false this would be false, whereas if the bible is true this could be true.

God's continued insistence that He's good and moral as he commits or condones murder, genocide, and rape? And more genocide?

Do you remember when humans used to live a couple hundred years?

Neither do I.

That's not really an internal continuity error. You're confusing the bible with reality. That opens a whole new can of worms, you'd need a new thread for things in the bible that couldn't actually happen.

I think it's hard to condemn God for committing murder, as if he is above all else, wouldn't that give him a right to do these things? For the greater good?

I think it's hard to condemn God for committing murder, as if he is above all else, wouldn't that give him a right to do these things? For the greater good?

No because if God wanted to act for the greater good he could just kill all evil people or just make pharaoh free the slaves with out killing innocent eygiption babies and so forth. The greater good is bullshit anyway with the countless lives he is said to have taken no amount of heavenly land of milk and honey is worth that much blood.

No because if God wanted to act for the greater good he could just kill all evil people or just make pharaoh free the slaves with out killing innocent eygiption babies and so forth. The greater good is bullshit anyway with the countless lives he is said to have taken no amount of heavenly land of milk and honey is worth that much blood.

Now if it was a land of Maple Syrup it would be a different story entirely...

Not all of these are in the category of continuity errors, but some of them are.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/abs/long.htm

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/proph/long.html

By the way, very happy to have a discussion about this stuff, any time, public or private. Obviously I have my opinions, and I tend not to pull punches regarding them, but I won't insult people for what they believe - unless they take being extremely critical of the belief itself as an insult.

Now if it was a land of Maple Syrup it would be a different story entirely...

Nope. We have laws against murder and no death penalty as well.

Considering it was rewritten by Kings... Probably 95% of it. Back in the day, you had to go mail-order volumes 1-6 like encyclopedias in the 80's.

Seriously, though. Didn't they discover the number of the beast was really 616 a few years ago?

I'd really like to know how much of the bible was lost in translation...

If the bible is the word of God, why would he make it so that it's so open to stuff being misinterpreted or lost in translation. Or include so many apparent direct contradictions? Presumably he was also aware that in the future the book would be used as an excuse for plenty of bloodshed, so I'd have thought that he'd want to make its meaning as clear as possible.

But even so, there are plenty of rather vile passages in the bible that are difficult to explain away by simply 'lost in translation'.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

also, technically it is Jesus who is the Word of God.

John 1:1-3,14

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. [...]

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

also, technically it is Jesus who is the Word of God.

John 1:1-3,14

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. [...]

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Not sure how this changes anything, really. As the bit from Timothy says, all scripture is god breathed- so why is it so contradictory, open to misinterpretation and why does so much of it go against even what most Christians consider to be moral behaviour?

It seems perfectly consistent with something that was inspired by people, people whose morality has been questionable for centuries. This is why churches have to backpedal frequently in order to stay alive. Not all that many priests advocating stoning nowadays, are there? And watching the various denominations twist and wrench their understanding to see how far they can go to keep up with public opinion on gay rights is quite the thing to watch in real-time

Take the Russian Orthodox Church, in league with the Russian government for example. There are only 3 ways I see this going:

1) Public opinion will shift, and R.O.C. will have to shift with it, to survive.

2) Public opinion will shift, but R.O.C. doesn't shift, and so will wither.

3) Public opinion will be directed by R.O.C. and Putin's propoganda, and as a result there will be a level of misery and bloodshed which will be readily apparent over time - and likely lead to 1) or 2) anyway.

This is what always happens when morality based on old books clashes with morality based on thousands of years of human experience.

God's continued insistence that He's good and moral as he commits or condones murder, genocide, and rape? And more genocide?

That's not God. That's human sin. No such thing as Heaven on earth. Also, it really depends on the cause.

That's not God. That's human sin. No such thing as Heaven on earth. Also, it really depends on the cause.

Even a very generous reading of the bible has the God of the bible condoning all sorts of atrocities, as far as I can tell.

Even a very generous reading of the bible has the God of the bible condoning all sorts of atrocities, as far as I can tell.

He obviously doesn't condone murder. He punished King David severely for having Bathsheba's husband killed in battle, and Cain for murdering his brother. The Egyptians and Romans got their just desserts, and as for rape? I don't remember anything about rape being in the Bible.

He obviously doesn't condone murder. He punished King David severely for having Bathsheba's husband killed in battle, and Cain for murdering his brother. The Egyptians and Romans got their just desserts, and as for rape? I don't remember anything about rape being in the Bible.

Hey, you know how he punished David in the story? He sent his son, Absalom to go and rape all of his concubines, in the sight of all of Israel.

And murder of innocent children is 'just desserts'? Just what kind of twisted morality are you talking about here?

Hey, you know how he punished David in the story? He sent his son, Absalom to go and rape all of his concubines, in the sight of all of Israel.

And murder of innocent children is 'just desserts'? Just what kind of twisted morality are you talking about here?

Oh! And don't forget the great flood and the genocide of the native people in the promise land!

Let me ask this: are we talking about the Protestant Bible or the Catholic Bible? The Catholic bible is the original source, most Protestant Bibles have stuff taken from and added to it.

Let me ask this: are we talking about the Protestant Bible or the Catholic Bible? The Catholic bible is the original source, most Protestant Bibles have stuff taken from and added to it.
Practically every denomination of Christianity will claim to have the most authentic version. Something you may be alluding to is the biblical Apocrypha, which are basically scriptures which may or may not be part of the biblical canon depending on who you ask. Catholics and Lutherans tend to count them, Protestants less so, but 'original source' is rather pushing it. We're talking about texts that were compiled and decompiled and recompiled over the course of centuries, such that it's very difficult to make such statements.

Check the table at the bottom of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon