Sign in to follow this  
Illessa

AF 2014 video text

I *think* those two rows are fine in their original ordering, actually. If they're swapped either way, I think the error correction deals with it. Congratulations on solving it, though! You're certainly the first to report a correct solution!

So, just to clarify, are there other errors besides the missing "7 1 1 1 7" and the incorrect line that should be "2 5 1"? I'm only asking because at least the online solver I used couldn't resolve an area of the puzzle that I couldn't either ( the one with that Chesterface mentioned) by hand and since I don't have a smart phone to use it's getting pretty tedious guessing then editing a qr code and uploading it to a qr reader site only for it to not be able to read it. *grumble grumble should be getting some sleep grumble grumble*

No, sorry, I take it back. He's right; those two rows are fine the way they are. I had screwed up and made things harder for myself. The errors he officially acknowledged are the only ones.

Even with the corrected numbers every automatic solver I put this thing into comes up invalid. Guess I'll try solve it manually.

Yeah those are the only two errors, but the puzzle has 20 valid solutions. Came back to it in my lunch break now I know about 2,5,1 and with a little educated guessing from reading up on the format (namely, its possible to narrow down the unknowns that are actually relevant and trust to the reader to handle the rest if they're wrong), I hit on a readable solution second attempt.

Holy cripes on toast, I manage to get the answer! I think I fell into it a little accidentally, or I might just be delirious and sleep deprived. Gonna have to save my work and analyze it after some well-deserved sleep.

Also, and I'm not entirely certain I needed to do this to get to the answer, but I sure do know a ton about QR codes now. Like ALL the things about QR codes.

Holy cripes on toast, I manage to get the answer! I think I fell into it a little accidentally, or I might just be delirious and sleep deprived. Gonna have to save my work and analyze it after some well-deserved sleep.

Also, and I'm not entirely certain I needed to do this to get to the answer, but I sure do know a ton about QR codes now. Like ALL the things about QR codes.

Me too! 20 solutions are easy enough to brute force (and several will probably work unless you're using a really fragile reader), but it's more entertaining to figure things out with a bit of research. Probably. I guess it depends how much you like squinting at coloured boxes and converting to binary - it's a specific hobby.

Yeah, I just managed to get the answer myself. I now know how to solve nonograms, which I didn't know were a thing until today.

I wish I had the time to solve it right now but I'm a bit busy. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could at least explain the format of qr codes, or a link to somewhere to help explain. I really want to solve the puzzle, but since I'm busy for the next 8 hours of school i doubt I'll have the time to look up the info needed to solve the puzzle. So at this point if i could just figure out the format of qr codes and how they relate to the monograms I'd greatly appreciate it since I could then spend this evening trying to work out the puzzle.

I wish I had the time to solve it right now but I'm a bit busy. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could at least explain the format of qr codes, or a link to somewhere to help explain. I really want to solve the puzzle, but since I'm busy for the next 8 hours of school i doubt I'll have the time to look up the info needed to solve the puzzle. So at this point if i could just figure out the format of qr codes and how they relate to the monograms I'd greatly appreciate it since I could then spend this evening trying to work out the puzzle.

Check out the wikipedia image lokno posted - at a minimum it could help you figure out which of the 20 or so unknown squares in the nonogram you should prioritise in brute forcing, and if you feel ambitious you can use it to work out what it says by hand (probably a slower option than just brute forcing if you transcribe into a graphics program and use a smartphone, but it's interesting).

Hmm... any good online QR readers out there? Can't seem to get any to recognise my image as a QR code.

This was the first one I tried, with several different formats and sizes. Either I suck at QR codes or at making images.

I have hit a wall with this. I tried it on the day it came out and was moving along smoothly using both what I know about picross and QR codes and I came up with a solution that had only 11 unknown squares.

But no valid combination of those produced a readable QR code. And now I'm coming back to this thread here and people are saying there are 20 unknown squares. This does not seem to be the case to me (at least when you use both the nonogram and the fixed bits of a QR code). I made a small attempt at decoding it by hand and was thoroughly disgusted with the process. This was not designed to EVER be carried out by a human and I found no pleasure in trying to do so. Masking the bits is just mindless busywork that is so easy to mess up (and the subtleties of those masks seems to be poorly documented in my opinion).

Something big must be wrong with my QR as no reader I show it too even acknowledges that it's there. This may be a bit spoilery but here's my QR code. If anyone has a moment and can tell me if I'm way off or something I'd very much appreciate it. I need help to finish this. I'm sure I've made some basic mistake somewhere and I've probably been staring at it to long to see the glaring fault in front of me.

Here's what I have. The gray squares are the unknowns:

Not working solution

Seth B.

I have hit a wall with this. I tried it on the day it came out and was moving along smoothly using both what I know about picross and QR codes and I came up with a solution that had only 11 unknown squares.

But no valid combination of those produced a readable QR code. And now I'm coming back to this thread here and people are saying there are 20 unknown squares. This does not seem to be the case to me (at least when you use both the nonogram and the fixed bits of a QR code). I made a small attempt at decoding it by hand and was thoroughly disgusted with the process. This was not designed to EVER be carried out by a human and I found no pleasure in trying to do so. Masking the bits is just mindless busywork that is so easy to mess up (and the subtleties of those masks seems to be poorly documented in my opinion).

Something big must be wrong with my QR as no reader I show it too even acknowledges that it's there. This may be a bit spoilery but here's my QR code. If anyone has a moment and can tell me if I'm way off or something I'd very much appreciate it. I need help to finish this. I'm sure I've made some basic mistake somewhere and I've probably been staring at it to long to see the glaring fault in front of me.

Here's what I have. The gray squares are the unknowns:

Not working solution

Seth B.

You have 1 wrong black square. 5/5 from right bottom is wrong.

You have 1 wrong black square. 5/5 from right bottom is wrong.

AHHH! That will help. Thank you. I think I will get cozy with an auto nonogram solver and see if it can help weed out those problems. It's clear that even a few squares being wrong can botch the whole QR code.

Thanks!

Seth B.

It helps to read up on the 8 bits after the first 4 bits thats the most important part the rest should mostly auto correct.

It helps to read up on the 8 bits after the first 4 bits thats the most important part the rest should mostly auto correct.

Ahh, okay. Of course that's a key part where the nonogram is ambiguous. Thanks for the tip!

GOT IT!!! Finally. I just gave in and started decoding it by hand. Realized, despite the unknowns in the 'len' section of the QR, only one possibility gives you a reasonable and valid value. Fill that one bit in and the consequences from it in the nonogram finally gives you a readable QR.

Brilliant puzzle I must say!

The following youtube video shows how to decode one by hand.

There's plenty of room for mistakes (especially with the de-masking part) but the one brilliant thing I took from the video was using MS Excel and setting the background color of cells as a nice way to play with a QR code. This video plus the images posted earlier in the thread from Wikipedia do a good job of explaining the structure of a QR code.

I went through the hand decoding process twice before I finally got the right answer. Once I had done that I was able to monkey with the unknown parts of the QR code to make it readable by a scanner (like zxing). My favorite phone based scanner is NeoReader and that one was able to decode it too (once I had the first 12 bits fixed).