Sign in to follow this  
Illessa

AF 2014 video text

Because apparently I can't leave well enough alone and check out the shiny new pitches :P

So the first text that flashes up is just the site URL I believe (well I caught http, hacknslashthegame and com)

Which just leaves these two

The first one spells "VERTIUAL", the second "HORIZONTAL". Yes, I double checked the first one. Obviously a play on "vertical" and "virtual"

It's a reference to the old 60's tv show the Outer Limits. FCcdr4O-3gE

I also noticed that it says http hauknslashthegame uom. Not sure if this was a typo by 2 Player Productions or was on purpose, the U's replacing the C's.

I believe that's an error on the website image - I double checked when I reached the same conclusion, and the same u/c substitution happens if you compare it to the message in the announce video too.

Not got anywhere with the numbers though, very odd - I thought the first and second messages might be connected (they still might be, they're the same number of rows and start off very similar, but they diverge a lot after the first couple values). I feel like the lack of 0s, 8s or 9s should be an obvious clue to what it is, but I'm drawing a blank. Actually that's not true, lack of 0s screams something coordinate or frequency based, but then the single digits rather muddle things...

Not got anywhere with the numbers though, very odd - I thought the first and second messages might be connected (they still might be, they're the same number of rows and start off very similar, but they diverge a lot after the first couple values). I feel like the lack of 0s, 8s or 9s should be an obvious clue to what it is, but I'm drawing a blank. Actually that's not true, lack of 0s screams something coordinate or frequency based, but then the single digits rather muddle things...

Pretty sure they are related. They consist primarily of 1s, 2s, 3s and 7s. The long strings of 1s are striking, as well as other patterns in the digits. It's either something that has to do with base 10 or it's digit-based, not number-based. I favor the latter idea but I don't know what it is.

Pretty sure they are related. They consist primarily of 1s, 2s, 3s and 7s. The long strings of 1s are striking, as well as other patterns in the digits. It's either something that has to do with base 10 or it's digit-based, not number-based. I favor the latter idea but I don't know what it is.

Yeah I'm favouring digits for sure, and yeah you're right about the frequency - across both sets the count is:

1) 144

2) 26

3) 32

4) 5

5) 5

6) 2

7) 11

I've been idly playing around with them between pitches, but haven't had any inspiration as yet. Side by side, the values are

71117 7117

111211 111111

131111131 1311131

13131131 13111131

13112131 1313131

112111 113111

2 71117

112245 3

1111132 542111

421111 1121113

12112111 73121

165 1116

112111 1224112

73 25

112132 73121

131311 11321

1311213 1311111

1311122 131111

11511 1134

7131 7211111

There are three sequences that appear twice:

71117 (one in each set)

112111 (both in first set)

73121 (both in second set)

But I've yet to come up with any patterns beyond broad trends that I could logically justify

So the vertical and horizontal were just instructions on how to read the numbers.

That's my assumption, yeah :)

I still like the idea of an Outer Limits reference (controlling what happens on the screen, etc.). It seems unlikely to be just random, considering the lack of 0, 8, or 9 in the sequences, although I don't see anything obvious.

EDIT - perhaps coordinates (each sequence summed up (e.g., 17 and 16 for the first two))? But to what?

I still like the idea of an Outer Limits reference (controlling what happens on the screen, etc.). It seems unlikely to be just random, considering the lack of 0, 8, or 9 in the sequences, although I don't see anything obvious.

No reason it can't be both! They totally could be random, but I think (hope) Brandon wouldn't be that cruel ;). I don't know, my head keeps screaming "Coordinates" at me, but can't think what on earth they could correspond to.

I just thought the same thing! (See my edited post above).

Unless my quick math has failed me, here they are:

17 16

7 6

13 11

14 12

16 13

7 8

15 3

10 14

10 10

10 14

12 9

7 13

10 7

10 14

10 8

13 9

11 8

9 9

12 14

I actually tried transforming them in various ways to produce lat/long coordinates but no dice.

Ooh! Ooh I have cute idea, just need to find some graph paper...

are those markers maybe one of those drawing puzzles they usually have side numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonogram

Hehe that's exactly what I went to get graph paper for but didn't want to say it in case it was the solution and people wanted to figure it out ;). Suddenly thought "Kirby hanjie!" Though if it is the solution it means there's at least one blank row and column (as some total min 21).

[EDIT] Doesn't work as a Hanjie unless it has >21 rows or I messed up due to sleepiness ;). It really does feel like one though - not least with the number of rows that add up to to near 21 when spaces are added.

[EDIT-2] Easier way to prove it doesn't work which I should have tried before I started trying to deduce the gaps - the total of the horizontal digits is four more than the total of the vertical

*cough* I missed a line on the horizontal

71117 7117

111211 111111

131111131 1311131

13131131 13111131

13112131 1313131

112111 113111

2 71117

112245 3

1111132 542111

421111 1121113

12112111 73121

165 1116

112111 1224112

73 25

112132 73121

131311 11521

1311213 1311111

1311122 131111

11511 1311112

7131 1134

Running it through an online solver, it appears to be a QR code. I don't have a smart phone and the script running the solver in my browser is taking forever. Anyone find the solution and get a decent image of it and/or determine what it reveals?

Running it through an online solver, it appears to be a QR code. I don't have a smart phone and the script running the solver in my browser is taking forever. Anyone find the solution and get a decent image of it and/or determine what it reveals?

Auto-solver won't do it as it's missing a column (the 7th, else it doesn't make sense as a QR code) - confirmed it's an error with Brandon on twitter but I'm trying to solve it anyway, it might be doable

I hadn't watched the video since I was at school when amnesia started. Ah well I'll definitely let you guys know if I have any ideas about how to solve any of the puzzles =D

So we're just missing the last row of a QR code? I think that should still be readable if you fill some of the constants back in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:QR_Character_Placement.svg

It is possible to work out the missing number set, if you know what a QR code normally looks like and do a bit of legwork. I've done it.

I still don't think an auto-solver will solve it though - I'm not quite done, but I believe it has 4 valid solutions. Need to finish it, clean it up, and see if my phone can make anything of it

So we're just missing the last row of a QR code? I think that should still be readable if you fill some of the constants back in.

It is possible to work out the missing number set, if you know what a QR code normally looks like and do a bit of legwork. I've done it.

I still don't think an auto-solver will solve it though - I'm not quite done, but I believe it has 4 valid solutions. Need to finish it, clean it up, and see if my phone can make anything of it

I think it should work if you just filled in the rest of the bottom left marker.

I think it should work if you just filled in the rest of the bottom left marker.

Nope I've actually made a mistake so going back trying to correct that, but the missing thing is the seventh column from the left, which is 7,1,1,1,7 (confirmed with Brendan), and as far as I can tell the middle top section has four possible configurations all of which should generate a valid solution

That missing column was so easy to supply that I figured it was intentionally removed to foil auto-solving - it happens to be exactly the one column that is completely predetermined by the format.

But I'm pretty sure there is another error in the data, and a much harder one to fix. Is this also unintentional? Brandon, can you take a quick look and see whether there isn't a 3 that ought to be a 2? That, at least, is what I deduced after many hours, thinking I was besting a deliberately nasty puzzle. (The idea being that I, like a QR scanner, had to be able to handle some corrupt input.)

Once I changed a certain 3 to a 2, it became solvable. Of course, "solvable" is a relative term. I'm now crawling through the ins and outs of hand-decoding a QR, which, guess what, is extremely convoluted. I sure hope THIS is what the puzzlemaster had in mind.

That missing column was so easy to supply that I figured it was intentionally removed to foil auto-solving - it happens to be exactly the one column that is completely predetermined by the format.

But I'm pretty sure there is another error in the data, and a much harder one to fix. Is this also unintentional? Brandon, can you take a quick look and see whether there isn't a 3 that ought to be a 2? That, at least, is what I deduced after many hours, thinking I was besting a deliberately nasty puzzle. (The idea being that I, like a QR scanner, had to be able to handle some corrupt input.)

Once I changed a certain 3 to a 2, it became solvable. Of course, "solvable" is a relative term. I'm now crawling through the ins and outs of hand-decoding a QR, which, guess what, is extremely convoluted. I sure hope THIS is what the puzzlemaster had in mind.

Hah, I was wondering something similar, but I was leery of just assuming, good to know I'm not alone

Why are you doing the QR code by hand? If anything, you should be able to draw it paint and find a browser plugin that can decode it. The missing data should be handled by the Reed Solomon Error Correction.

Why are you doing the QR code by hand? If anything, you should be able to draw it paint and find a browser plugin that can decode it. The missing data should be handled by the Reed Solomon Error Correction.

Yeah hell I was dropping my abortive attempts into an online hanjie creator with the intent of scanning with my phone which was working quite nicely (albeit not actually going anywhere cause the solutions were wrong).

Anyways I've obviously made a silly error somewhere and I'm too tired to stare at numbers anymore, I'm off to bed - if you want to bug Brandon, probably best to do it on twitter - he's @Noughtceratops

Hmm, been trying various "fixes" to the numbers in an auto-solver, but getting nothing so far. Starting to wonder if there's an obvious error (other than the missing 7,1,1,1,7 column) that filters out when doing this by hand to prevent people from just shoving it in an autosolver. Anyone had luck sussing out the error by hand solving this? Also anyone have any good sites where you can muck around with solving this by hand?

For the record, we did make some typographical errors when we posted the puzzle.

First, the missing vertical column seven, which has already been discovered and corrected for.

Second, the horizontal row that reads "2 5" should read "2 5 1"

The second issue is more serious than the first. Fixing it won't take you all the way, though. There will be work left to be done once you've taken the nonogram as far as you can.

Sorry for unintentionally making this puzzle extra hard - hopefully these corrections should put you guys on the right track!

Brandon Dillon @Noughtceratops

Ack! Errata: Vertical column 7 is missing and should be "7 1 1 1 7." The horizontal row reading "2 5" should read "2 5 1."

New from Brandon on Twitter:

Ack! Errata: Vertical column 7 is missing and should be "7 1 1 1 7." The horizontal row reading "2 5" should read "2 5 1."

There is in fact a third error. The adjacent rows 1311111 and 131111 need to be swapped.

But I am super-proud to report that after, uh, 6 hours, I solved the unintended meta-puzzle of what the errors were AND solved the puzzle anyway. (The former was many times harder than the latter!) I am "clearly very clever"! Am I the first? Does this mean I get a you-know-what?

Thanks, Brandon and company, for a fun (if insufficiently proofread) puzzle.