Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chen Gidrine

How is oxygen supposed to work and more

I have been reading through the forums lately and there seems to be allot of problems with the O2 scrubbers and oxygen flow in general and i had a few thoughts on how to help with them and hearing thers thoughts on solutions. i am under the impression that there is some form of invisible duct system going through the base. could there be a build-able vent opening that can be added to increase air flow (something we can close also in an emergency I.E. a fire or some form of decompression.)

However my major problem is with the pressure wave effect that comes with "low oxygen". low oxygen is not the same thing as low atmospheric pressure and should not be blowing people around on my base. if the airlock door is leaking is 1 thing or if there was a hull breach is another but people in a bar or working on the station shouldn't decrease the air presser in a section. most living organisms including plants take in a form of gas (people use nitrogen+O2, plants use CO2) and give off equal amounts of another (people expel CO2 most notably and plants give off O2) therefor no vacuum should be created simply by breathing but an excess of toxic gasses can form and no push-back should be felt. the only place push-back would be felt is in an area that has some form of a leak creating a pressure imbalance.

I have heard that the doors leak and i would imagine that hull breaches will always be a part of the game and would encourage the idea of micro hull breaches (or almost or completely invisible breaches) being added to the game as-well as leaky airlocks staying a part of the game, but simply add an "air pressure" gauge to the UI or have it factored in some how. as for leaks, simply have technicians use some form of smoke or visible gas to find were the oxygen is escaping from and seal it.

Lastly i was thinking about the idea of a "fall out shelter" type room better protected from asteroid impact with a "small" amount of food oxygen and so on, i have heard other make mention of it but could there be one self contained room with an "air lock" that could keep your people alive until the fire and impacts are done and allow for some repairs to be made before the rest of the crew comes out of it, this would allow for more and worse disasters to happen on the base if they were theoretical survivable in more then one way.

Oxygen essentially just ignores wall tiles which are not adjacent to space, spreading from room to room that way. The main issue tends to be when you have a 1 m wide hallway with space on either side that the oxygen can't flow quick enough (If a ship docks to you and you want to keep it then be sure to make the part connecting it to your base wider right away). Although yeah, oxygen essentially being considered the same as atmospheric pressure is pretty annoying.

Also don't forget that you can right click on a room and select "seal O2" to suffocate fires, raiders, whatever. Keep in mind though that if you want to seal the O2 in airlocks you need to unzone them first for some reason.

The leaking effect as far as I'm aware is just a bug having to do with lag and especially the faster game speeds. For now probably best to just accept that at 100+ people you should keep the game speed on normal and you'll likely need around 200+ O2 capacity to avoid suffocation.

another idea may be to have a "ventilation unit" that simply moves air from one location to another? like a large fan that blows air into a duct on one end and a grate it comes out of at the other "end"

Well, the O2 system is very lacking at the moment, since people can breath themselves into a vacuum. The only tips I have are...

1) All hallways should be 3x wide

2) Convert your unzoned hallways into O2 life support areas to keep pressure up

I just started on Spacebase today and I've died a number of times as I've tried to better understand the O2 system. So yeah, the whole low oxygen thing is a major pain, especially once all my technicians get trapped in what becomes a wind tunnel pushing everyone into the room further. I tried forcing open doors from the more oxygen rich parts of the station (docked ships, etc) to at least get them out, but eventually it killed me yet again.

Does this imply the game wants us to distribute O2 scrubbers around the base instead of creating special O2 rooms?

How big are your hallways? I've heard the air distribution has problem if they are less than three squares wide.But No one seems to have problems with small bases having o2 rooms in one room.

I've been able to compensate by creating multiple smaller O2 rooms (3x5 for 2 scrubbers only) throughout the base to sort of equalize things. This sort of works until derelicts and raiders come into play. There's a weird point in the distribution that having the scrubbers too spaced out sends the technicians crazy and they become total idiots at maintaining them. =(

Well, you need to carefully balance how your base expands and use the "Seal" room toggle liberally.

When a ship attaches, seal off the bridge and force lock the doors so you don't make a death trap.

When building a large bar, it helps to build more life support units in each connecting hallway to keep pressure up, since bars usually house multiple people and can run out of O2 quickly. It would not hurt to build your bars like a donut and have a O2 room in the middle.

Also air flow to rooms is wacky, when you build a new room, it can receive O2 without doors, but once it has a door the O2 has to come from the door connections. I've tested this by having a bar's closet connected to a O2 room, but without doors. The people were all sucked into the closet when the bar ran out of O2. The closet was next to a large O2 room, but because it didn't have a door they all died from lack of O2.

How big are your hallways? I've heard the air distribution has problem if they are less than three squares wide.But No one seems to have problems with small bases having o2 rooms in one room.
is this a game feature? I've been wondering why my rooms don't have enough oxygen even though I have more than sufficient O2 recyclers. Might be due to my one tile corridors.

found an old post by DFMatt on oxygen flow:

... I want to make a blog post on this at some point, but basically you have little ducts running through your floor and ceiling. (And also little ducks? Unconfirmed.) The more tiles that connect your rooms, the better the o2 propagation. So that room layout is not very efficient.

I do want to add a bit more transfer to walls, and there are a few other tweaks to be made, but for now and in short: make your rooms share a lot of wall space with each other! Or else the air tries to travel in a little tiny tube, and it works poorly.

so yes, hallways bad.

found an old post by DFMatt on oxygen flow:
... I want to make a blog post on this at some point, but basically you have little ducts running through your floor and ceiling. (And also little ducks? Unconfirmed.) The more tiles that connect your rooms, the better the o2 propagation. So that room layout is not very efficient.

I do want to add a bit more transfer to walls, and there are a few other tweaks to be made, but for now and in short: make your rooms share a lot of wall space with each other! Or else the air tries to travel in a little tiny tube, and it works poorly.

so yes, hallways bad.

THANK YOU, wayHOW! Even I didn't know that post ^^

Sign in to follow this