Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
modernevil

Would pay for another DF pitch vs anything P. Ward pitched

Just raising my hand to say: I would definitely have paid above the average if the Pendleton Ward voting area had a 5th option to the effect of "Let's make four of the DF pitches instead of three."

I'm trying to nail down my last vote, but when I first tried to narrow the field, my list was 15 pitches long and all 15 of them seemed more worthy (in my opinion) than any of P. Ward's 4 pitches.

I understand he's a big name for some people (admittedly, I've never seen Adventure Time), but I'm here for the amazingness that is Double Fine. I will always vote (and with my wallet) for more Double Fine. Edited to add: I definitely "voted with my wallet" on this one, wanting to give more to DF to support more public AF, but not wanting to support those PW pitches; I gave *just* under the average. To make a statement.

I don't think that'll be possible because P. Ward will definitely be leading one of the teams so one of his ideas will be picked anyway.

I wasn't jazzed by PW's pitches, although one of them was more interesting to me than the others. I would much rather have more DF games as well, but the deal is what it is.

Ward has some fun ideas - both Cupid and Pink best buds are games I'd be excited to play, but the DF team really brought it this year - they pitched a staggering number of really strong ideas, and I agree that purely on the strength of the pitch videos there're a lot of concepts I'd personally be more excited to see made into prototypes.

But we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, and having watched the pitches I'm confident that even if nothing I vote for gets selected it'll be fun watching DF make these prototypes and they'll produce something interesting at the end of it.

It's a live-and-learn thing, I suppose.

This is only the second high-profile amnesia fortnight under public scrutiny (as far as I know),

and they are trying something new with Pendleton as a guest team leader.

For this AF, it is what it is, but I'm sure the fine folks at Double Fine will consider any constructive criticism next time.

But also:

Would I like to see a fourth double fine project? sure. Do I want to see one of Pendleton's pitches become reality? Also yes.

There's always the next Amnesia Fortnight, but only this one has Pendledton in it. As far as I know. ;)

I think Double Fine should do a separate game jam where they have guest leads, because members of Double Fine deserve the chance more than someone who has already had lots of success in other places. This is the place and time for members of Double Fine to have an opportunity to shine and I see no reason why it needs to be overshadowed by Pendleton Ward's name everywhere. To me it just draws a line that didn't need to be drawn. Makes Double Fine fans sad they are getting shortchanged, in hopes of making more money from putting a famous guy's name on the front. I think there is a possibility that there are people at Double Fine that think they have a great pitch, have maybe been thinking about that game they want to make for years, and maybe they miss out on the chance because of Pendleton Ward. Even if they are a fan of Adventure Time, that ends up turning this situation into some people at Double Fine missing out in a possible once in a lifetime opportunity because someone else who already has opportunity stepped in and didn't take it from them but without a doubt was the reason that spot didn't exist for anyone else at Double Fine. wah.

I really really want it to change before its too late, for I feel this could cause unnecessary negativity and resentment inside Double Fine.

I don't see it possible that everyone at Double Fine would agree to this unless it was 100% a financial decision, which I think then undermines the whole company.

I think the thing with Pendleton is that he could bring in people who otherwise wouldn't have heard of AF. For those of us who are DF groupies, we'd like to see more purely DF games, but considering that they can't actually make all the AF games into full games, it might not be a bad idea to narrow down the field to the 3 strongest internal games and have the fourth game be a bit of a novelty thing to drive up the Humble Bundle average. That said, if one of my top 3 doesn't get made, Pendleton can hang in a tree wedgie for all eternity.

Edit: I should add that I actually like having the variety of having a guest team lead. A big part (the main part?) of the public AF is the streaming / documenting of people coming up with ideas and I think Pendleton will be really fun to watch.

Actually, Pen's pitches don't seem like real pitches to me. I think DF is up to something.

Or how about allowing to vote on any 4 pitches, and saying that the most popular PW pitch will be picked as one (and maybe leave the door open to making 4 of the others as well later, like adding one last year)?

Personally I don't like any of PW's pitches. (Or I consider them unworkable like in the case of Little Pink Best Buds: natural language parsing, you wish! Or I consider them overambitious like No More McDonalds: just setting up a multiplayer environment is a major PITA!) Also I love quite a few of the DF pitches a lot more.

Actually, Pen's pitches don't seem like real pitches to me. I think DF is up to something.

Man, would I just love for this to be true. DF sneakiness seems like it would be much more rewarding than a straight PW-helmed AF prototype based on one of those pitches.

Agreed. P. Ward's pitches are boring and bad.

He isn't even a game designer. He's some celebrity who gets to coast in because he made a famous show.

Who cares? Give your damn employees their one chance to shine. If P. Ward's ideas are so good, let them stand up to the vote and get smacked down like they deserve.

I rather like the idea of an AF team forced (forced!) to make one of Pen's games. All of these are exercises in finding the fun, and while Pen's pitches have less defined gameplay in them, he brings in fun from other directions. It'll be up to the team to make one of these weird concepts into a playable game.

Agreed. P. Ward's pitches are boring and bad.

He isn't even a game designer. He's some celebrity who gets to coast in because he made a famous show.

Who cares? Give your damn employees their one chance to shine. If P. Ward's ideas are so good, let them stand up to the vote and get smacked down like they deserve.

Agreed, this feels like it goes against the philosophy of "everyone is equal" which is what I really found cool about AF. Despite the fact that Pendleton apparently didn't have to limit his pitches to 30 seconds I found most of them lacking in explanation and some downright terrible. And yet one of them is guaranteed to be made, at the cost of another. Which is extra sad because overall I found the general quality of the pitches even more interesting than last time.

I do realize AF is all about experimenting though, I just hope this particular experiment won't be making a return next time.

Love Adventure Time and Bravest Warriors; I'd love to see him collaborate with some DF project as a writer or art designer, but I've got to agree with others here: his pitches, though sometimes amusing, were not that inspiring and didn't seem that developed as game ideas. I'd rather have my fourth vote back so I don't have to decide which to drop out of Scavengers, White Witch, Breach and Steed.

I also was bored by the pitches but I feel like if his also were limited to 30 seconds it wouldn't have been as bad. I got 2/3s through most of them then quit.

I think this is a huge mistake because look at how websites like Kotaku have covered it. They didn't care about Amnesia Fortnight last year, and adding Pendleton Ward's name to it this year just makes it easier for them to marginalize the entire jam and boil it down to a simpler idea and then everyone moves on and forgets about it.

It isn't going to get more attention from people that never cared in the first place.

:(

If everyone at Double Fine was given an equal chance and the Pendleton Ward prototype was made in a completely different week to encourage the employees at Double Fine to feel like they are equally valuable, then I would gladly throw money at my screen.

Seriously look at the Kotaku article to see the information blinders in action. They're still mentioning Costume Quest and Stacking as if they just came out and are recent games. It says Amnesia Fortnight once in the article, and once in a quote. Never once mentioning whether or not it is good, informative, what value it brings beyond resulting in game prototypes. It is all about Pendleton Ward in that article.

Hows that for marginalizing?

It makes me sad!

I think if anyone wants to even think of making something themselves they need to be inspired by the hard work of artists that came before them. I am 100% sure Pendleton Ward understands that and it is why I am not against him being involved. The way it is presented and is a guarantee that he gets to lead a project is just silly though. How about everyone at Double Fine gets 1 pitch, Pendleton gets 4, but it is in the same pool of pitches. So Pendleton has 4x greater chance of getting a prototype picked than everyone else at Double Fine. That is still slightly unfair but definitely less unfair than it is currently. Then if no one picks any of his pitches, because let's be honest the Double Fine pitches this year are really really awesome and I would rather see four or five Double Fine prototypes than a single one of Pendleton's pitches, then he could be a member of a team led by someone else. That is more fair than it currently is right? This isn't about ego and is about the best ideas getting brought to the front.....isnt it?

I think if Pen's pitches were limited to 30 seconds, we might not have as many people saying they're boring. Everyone else had to tighten their pitches, and it's extremely likely that most of the other concepts are no more well developed than Pen's. We can't say this experiment has failed until we see the prototype game that comes out of it (and even then...).

As for employee development (and for the record I think it's awesome that the community cares about DF's employees), this seems like a cool opportunity for some DF'ers to work with an interesting creative director from the outside, without making a huge commitment to a full game. Whether that opportunity should consume AF resources is a fair question, but I can see significant value for employees and the company.

Personally I've prioritized my non-Pen votes for game leads I either don't recognize or at least didn't lead last year. The pitch I'm most excited about is from a professional game designer, but I'd rather give someone else a chance to lead a project.

Pen's pitches just don't seem very clear in terms of game design. Like he has ideas for things he thinks are funny, but he they're nebulous in terms of actual gameplay. I feel like Pen should have teamed up with someone to develop those ideas into actual games.

Pen's pitches just don't seem very clear in terms of game design. Like he has ideas for things he thinks are funny, but he they're nebulous in terms of actual gameplay. I feel like Pen should have teamed up with someone to develop those ideas into actual games.
Yeah, that's what he's doing, that's what this is. if you watched the docs for the last amnesia, no one really knew how their game was going to play exactly and it came together with the rest of the team.

I think that's ok. DF has people who might come up with some game mechanics and design. I personally like several of PW's ideas and enjoy that they come from a non-mechanic point of view. I kinda wish this would happen more often in game design.

I wish PW wouldn't have specified sidescroller for Cupid, because that sounds like a potentially hilarious idea to me. I was imagining a sandboxy game where I would get to make people and things fall in love in strange ways until he said sidescroller.

I think Damnit Jerry would make a neat casual game and I hope that gets made no matter how the voting goes. This idea could be really good depending on design and it oozes personality.

No More McDonalds is a hugely ambitious idea. It's like a more complex version of L4D. I love it, but boy would this require alot of design and work due to it's complexity. I'm voting for it. Good luck DF. :-D

Little Pink Best Buds seemed like the most nebulus idea to me, but if you mention Facade, any indie fan will be curious. I do think this could be as ambitious as NMM if the AI is going to be good, you want to parse natural language and handle different personalities too. I'm not sure the rewards match the complexity on this one.

A lot of you are missing the hidden value here. We get to watch. A Double Fine team. Try to translate PENDLETON WARD. Into a workable game. And deliver it in two weeks.

Just think about that for a minute.

Every time i look at his pitches, its like he only had one stupid nice generic idea, the others are weird. The cupid, go play messiah... little pink stuff, yeah there are games like that that i shall not name, the zombie one is dayz, and the fat guy is just a very little mobile game idea. He probably had no good ideas.

WHY CANT DF MAKE AN ADVENTURE TIME GAME? WHY DIDNT HE COME WITH IDEAS LIKE ADVENTURE TIME? WHY IS HE SUCH A BAD IDEA GUY, DOES HE EVEN UNDERSTUNDS G4M$S? wazaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..........

I think maybe, people who pay 30 or 40, get to pitch an idea, but it has to be an idea as magical as adventure time, that can be translated into a series, that rocks just like adventure time, and we get to vote, the art is gunn b pend wardletons magikal drwainggg..sss and thun... it goes maguckal! (self concious irony)

he should have been given more time to make those four ideas, or he should have called people he trusted to come up with ideas with him for each, so that it would be better. YAY TEAMWORK!

Pen, i love your work, but you let me down, i wanted magical stuff.... not ... icant say it.... bad ptiches..... noooooooooooooo.... i cant live anymore : (

Every time i look at his pitches, its like he only had one stupid nice generic idea, the others are weird. The cupid, go play messiah... little pink stuff, yeah there are games like that that i shall not name, the zombie one is dayz, and the fat guy is just a very little mobile game idea. He probably had no good ideas.

WHY CANT DF MAKE AN ADVENTURE TIME GAME? WHY DIDNT HE COME WITH IDEAS LIKE ADVENTURE TIME? WHY IS HE SUCH A BAD IDEA GUY, DOES HE EVEN UNDERSTUNDS G4M$S? wazaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..........

I think maybe, people who pay 30 or 40, get to pitch an idea, but it has to be an idea as magical as adventure time, that can be translated into a series, that rocks just like adventure time, and we get to vote, the art is gunn b pend wardletons magikal drwainggg..sss and thun... it goes maguckal! (self concious irony)

he should have been given more time to make those four ideas, or he should have called people he trusted to come up with ideas with him for each, so that it would be better. YAY TEAMWORK!

Pen, i love your work, but you let me down, i wanted magical stuff.... not ... icant say it.... bad ptiches..... noooooooooooooo.... i cant live anymore : (

Uh... Lumpy Space Princess? Is that you?

Yeah I wasn't a fan of any of his pitches, but I've never seen Adventure Time so I've never become enamored with the guy. Does Mr Ward know anything about game design? Will certainly be an an interesting watch but at the end of the day I'm more annoyed that he's taking the slot of one of the staff's ideas.

The two mobile games would probably sell though; either way it's good business practice getting him involved especially if the prototype gets made into a full game.

Personally I've prioritized my non-Pen votes for game leads I either don't recognize or at least didn't lead last year.

Yeah, I agree and did the same thing except...

The pitch I'm most excited about is from a professional game designer, but I'd rather give someone else a chance to lead a project.

Are you talking about Steed? You are, aren't you? Go back and vote for Steed!

I would probably beat the average if I could vote for another DF game instead of the Pen Ward things. The pitches sounded more like rants where he was going on and on about "fat guys" and "iOS" than game pitches and too long. :P

Sign in to follow this