Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marlowe

Graphic Issues: Help!

First of all, hello everyone! I'm a new member and I'm Italian :)

I got this game with the Humble bundle, but I have a problem.

The objects appear and disappear as I turn the camera or when I move my character. It happens almost always. Trees, bushes, and other stuff appear and disappear. I don't know the correct technical term, it is probably flickering. Look at the pictures to realize.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Does anyone have the same problem? Do you have solutions?

I already tried to disable the graphics options, change resolution, run it in compatibility mode, check the cache, disable steam in game without any result.

My system:

Win8

Intel i7 3770

AMD Radeon HD 7850

The drivers are updated to the latest version, Catalyst 14.1.

Hey, it worked!

To be honest, I was going to change the drivers, but a guy, HERE, said that he had already tried without solving.

Lesson learned: never listen to random guys in the community hub :)

Thank you very much for the help!

Hello, I'm back here only to say that there are problems even with the latest WHQL AMD drivers, 14.4.

Currently, it seems that the only way to play Psychonauts without grafic glitches with an AMD card is to pass to the old WHQL, 13.12

Hello, I'm back here only to say that there are problems even with the latest WHQL AMD drivers, 14.4.

Currently, it seems that the only way to play Psychonauts without grafic glitches with an AMD card is to pass to the old WHQL, 13.12

I can confirm this. I was only able to play Psychonauts glitch free with a 7950 AMD card on Windows 7 x64 SP1 by reverting to the 13.12 WHQL drivers.

The 14.4 WHQL drivers won't work ok; ie with 14.4 : game menu is ok, but in-game has glitching textures all over the place and looks terrible to play.

I know this is a relatively old game, but it is a great and fun game. Maybe someone from DoubleFine could talk with AMD (if they haven't done this already), because new drivers are not supposed to introduce this kind of glitches, and few people will be willing to revert their drivers to an older version (with possible other old issues/bugs that got fixed in a newer version) just to play one game.

Over at Steam forums, on the same topic, someone suggested a solution that worked for many people, including myself.

You need to change the "Anti-Aliasing Method" from the "Gaming" -> "3D Application Settings" in the Catalyst Control Center from "Multi-Sampling"(which is the default) to "Adaptive Multi-Sampling". The other settings for Anti-Aliasing in the Control Center, I have left them at their default values.

As I said, for me this worked and is still working with the latest 14.9 AMD drivers. I haven't gone far into the game, but the reported problem is obvious in the first screens of the game, and it's not there now, neither in all of the other areas I've visited so far (up to Sasha's Lab).

In-game, in the graphic options, I have every option checked, including enabling FSAA, FSFX, Adv. Shading, Shadows and V-Synch.

The post I'm referring to is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/3830/discussions/0/558747287594985726/#c35221031601698754

Sign in to follow this