Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oughtobe

AF14 2PP Daily Videos?

There should be a "Day 0" episode on (or near) the first official day of the Fortnight. This will recap events that lead up to this year's AF and give a little backstory on the whatever pitches end up being selected for prototyping. Moments like their initial meeting with Tim and Isa when contenders explained their concept to them and received their feedback (everyone that pitches has to do this and we recorded all of those sessions).

It´s my first Amnesia Fortnight and now I am happy to be a part of it. Who will I found the daily vidoes for download? In my Humblebundle-Libary?

It´s my first Amnesia Fortnight and now I am happy to be a part of it. Who will I found the daily vidoes for download? In my Humblebundle-Libary?
You'll find downloads in your Humble Library under Amnesia Fortnight 2014. We'll be trying to get videos up on the stream and in the library around the same time. I believe that one difference this year is that videos will be going up on Youtube to view instead of being hidden behind a Vimeo paywall.

You'll find downloads in your Humble Library under Amnesia Fortnight 2014. We'll be trying to get videos up on the stream and in the library around the same time. I believe that one difference this year is that videos will be going up on Youtube to view instead of being hidden behind a Vimeo paywall.

Hopefully you and DoubleFine can earn Ad money on the project if it is on YouTube.

If you're feeling good you could still put up a ad-free sd/HD version up on Vimeo for paying backers, then we would have a choice.

Either way looking forward to another good set of Video's.

Hopefully you and DoubleFine can earn Ad money on the project if it is on YouTube.

If you're feeling good you could still put up a ad-free sd/HD version up on Vimeo for paying backers, then we would have a choice.

Either way looking forward to another good set of Video's.

We don't bother with ads on Youtube since you need so many views for them to become worthwhile, would rather not annoy the audience.

So there is no backer exclusive daily videos? Or is it just public now and then when the actually development starts it will become private and backer exclusive?

So there is no backer exclusive daily videos? Or is it just public now and then when the actually development starts it will become private and backer exclusive?

The core videos will be public, people that get the bundle will get downloads in their humble library, and probably some bonus vids. Same goes for the Blu-ray. We're trying to move away from too much private stuff since we've found it just hurts circulation and awareness of the projects.

We're trying to move away from too much private stuff since we've found it just hurts circulation and awareness of the projects.

That sounds a wise choice

The core videos will be public, people that get the bundle will get downloads in their humble library, and probably some bonus vids. Same goes for the Blu-ray. We're trying to move away from too much private stuff since we've found it just hurts circulation and awareness of the projects.

I completely understand your point and I really can't argue with Doublefine and 2PP having more ciruclation and awareness but don't forget about encouraging more people to pay money to support you having content to circulate. I have paid and I plan on increasing my payment to get the blu ray, mainly to support you guys regardless, but I think its important to have a lot of exclusives so people who aren't as motivated to support you guys do so in the future.

Because so far, I feel like I was promised exclusives but I feel like if I didn't pay I would get the same content. I'll always pay and support you guys, but I want to see more people do so, thats all.

Will the Bluray be using the usual DRM? Because if it doesn't, it wouldn't be affected by my Bluray boycott.

Will the Bluray be using the usual DRM? Because if it doesn't, it wouldn't be affected by my Bluray boycott.

Do you run bluraysucks.com? I don't really get it, the whole boycott thing, could you elaborate? Isn't complaining about blurays like that pretty much complaining that I have to buy a TV to watch movies or a VCR to watch VHS tapes or that I have to pay for products? It just really sounds like socliasm and bread lines to me... Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see why authors of media should not protect their media. Do you think any form of copy protection is bad? Shouldn't the creator or innovator of any product be able to protect themselves when the government isn't able to?

Bottom line, nobody is forcing you to buy blue rays. If they were, then I would be leading the charge against them, but isn't you being able to have the choice not to buy them enough? What would you rather have, how things are now, or no blu-rays?

Think about it, if you authored and created a product, and people stole it from you, therefore profiting from your work without paying you, would you still feel the way you do?

Do you run bluraysucks.com?

No, I guess there must be at least two of us.

I don't really get it, the whole boycott thing, could you elaborate?

Yes, if you allow me to quote myself from http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/11575/P100/#314448

How can you be a movie nerd and not do Blu-Ray?

Because ever since the Sony rootkit I haven't seen such a blatant attempt to bend me over and violate my bottom like Blu-ray did. Really, movie industry, you can blacklist my player, you run a fully featured virtual machine in my home network that can do firmware updates at will without me noticing? If I don't want your hardware players I can try my software player but only if I comply with your choice of operating system? Are you fuсking kidding me? Who the fuсk do these guys think they are to tell me what OS I have to run on my HTPC and whether or not I can use an open-source player? But actually, what pisses me off the most is the ability that even DVDs had, telling me where I can skip, when I can go to the menu etc. and abusing that to shove unskippable anti-piracy ads down my throat that make me wish I had just fuсking downloaded the thing in the first place instead of paying someone for my indoctrination and boredom. The only reason it was ok on DVD was because the copy protection was so weak that it practically didn't exist. Every time I put an old DVD in an actual player instead of my XBMC HTPC that is kind enough to take the "don't skip" flag as an indication to not even autoplay the track in the first place, I regret it because one of those dreadful spots starts playing and I'm pressing buttons at random, hoping that one of them isn't blocked.

That's not all, but it should be reason enough to understand why I don't feel like "Hey, movie industry! You treat me like I'm a piece of shіt? Why don't you let me appreciate that by giving you all my money and supporting your new standard that you try shoving down my throat?"

Don't forget, music lovers actually managed to fight back DRM. Movie people are idiots and because of it the next 4K standard will be even worse if anything. I don't think there is a single movie that you can't download as a BD rip. So what exactly are they doing all that to their customers for (plus the things most people will actually notice like immense wait times for no other reason than that the stupid player is doing some system verification check in the background and software players that will pop up an update window every single time they are started)?

Oh sorry if I got a little agitated there but that "how could you" of yours kinda ticked me off ;)

Isn't complaining about blurays like that pretty much complaining that I have to buy a TV to watch movies or a VCR to watch VHS tapes or that I have to pay for products?

No :)

It just really sounds like socliasm and bread lines to me... Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see why authors of media should not protect their media. Do you think any form of copy protection is bad? Shouldn't the creator or innovator of any product be able to protect themselves when the government isn't able to?

How many movies do you know of that can't be downloaded illegally because of the copy protection Bluray imposes on those who actually pay for the movies?

Bottom line, nobody is forcing you to buy blue rays.

Aren't you in full strawman territory now? Nobody is forcing me to buy DRM, no. But then again, nobody can expect me to buy a product and then find out whether it uses DRM or not.

If they were, then I would be leading the charge against them, but isn't you being able to have the choice not to buy them enough? What would you rather have, how things are now, or no blu-rays?

Think about it, if you authored and created a product, and people stole it from you, therefore profiting from your work without paying you, would you still feel the way you do?

Yes.

(I'll point out that I am an author and creator, by the way, since you feel that gives the following more weight.)

Additional to the reply above mine, this is a false equivalence. You've got three false threads running in one sentence here: You're saying "stole it" when (and correct me if I'm wrong) you meant "experienced it" (or perhaps "made a copy of it without your permission", since that's what Copyright is about), you're saying "profiting from your work" when (AFAIK) you don't mean "are selling unauthorized copies for money" (meaningful piracy) but again just mean "experienced it", and you're saying "without paying you" when the premise of the conversation is a desire to pay for the content without being punished with DRM.

A more honest and on-topic formation of your question would be, "If you authored and created a product and people experienced it without paying you, would you still be against using DRM to try to stop those people from experiencing what you created?" And based on his responses and on the reality of the availability of DRM'd content (that is: there is no DRM strong enough that it cannot be circumvented) it would not be unreasonable to continue replying: Of course. DRM doesn't stop the people who weren't going to pay for the experience, and it does cause problems and frustration for the people who actually paid, so it serves no meaningful purpose with regard to preventing those unwilling to pay from experiencing any creative output they desire.

As a creator myself, I don't boycott DRM or DRM'd products (I use Steam, Blu-rays, and my books are available for Kindle and on Audible), but whenever possible I make my creative output available without DRM. (Technically I ticked the no-DRM box when publishing my books to Kindle, but the entire Kindle Store system is akin to Steam, so even if the eBooks aren't encrypted, they're not really DRM-free.) DRM isn't a tool to protect me or my creations, it's primarily a tool to make corporations feel in-control and powerful (its real power is judicial; the DMCA makes breaking DRM painfully unlawful), and its primary side-effect is frustrating paying customers—why would I want to do anything to frustrate my own audience?

Do you run bluraysucks.com?
No, I guess there must be at least two of us.
I don't really get it, the whole boycott thing, could you elaborate?
Yes, if you allow me to quote myself from http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/11575/P100/#314448

I think you have a little difference of opinion to that site. It seems from your posts that you are speaking personally, you are satisfied with personally boycotting products that have DRM you do not like, that author is saying DRM in general is wrong and trying to get other people to follow. Also, I think you made a point about publishers needing to clearly state if they have DRM or not and go into its details which I agree.

But if you are saying it is unfair for any publisher to have a DRM at all, that is incorrect. Simply do not buy their product, they aren't forcing you to buy their products. If I created a DRM that makes you do backflips to watch my movie, that is my perogative, it is unfair for you to demand that I cannot do so. If you want to personally boycott or even promote others to boycott my products, so be it, it is completely in your rights, regardless of what anyone or anything says.

Also, I agree that DRM usually doesn't work, especially on a global scale, but again, it's not unfair, even if it doesn't work. If the publishers want it there, and if they are happy with it stopping a very small amount of people from pirating their products, they are entitled to have it. Also, I think they are looking at the long game, they are hoping that with each medium it gets more sophisticated and stops more people.

Isn't complaining about blurays like that pretty much complaining that I have to buy a TV to watch movies or a VCR to watch VHS tapes or that I have to pay for products?

Actually it is very similiar, DRM makes it so you need certain hardware and or software to use the product, VHS tapes and TV content makes it so you need to buy certain hardware and or software to use the product, bottom line, let your wallet do the talking. Situations like this get misconstrued and people start to think they are entitled to all products, and that is dangerous territory. That's why you and I and us all are better off letting our wallets do the talking.

It just really sounds like socliasm and bread lines to me... Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see why authors of media should not protect their media. Do you think any form of copy protection is bad? Shouldn't the creator or innovator of any product be able to protect themselves when the government isn't able to?
How many movies do you know of that can't be downloaded illegally because of the copy protection Bluray imposes on those who actually pay for the movies?

That's neither here nor there, obviously the publishers are satisfied with how many people it stops, whether it is 1 or a 1 billion that is not something you can change based on how many people it stops. Again, I think you are completely jusified in boycotting it with your wallet.

Do you think that pirating products should be allowed? I hope not, because it is wrong. Since it is so rampant, I think its silly to expect them not to try.

Bottom line, nobody is forcing you to buy blue rays.
Aren't you in full strawman territory now? Nobody is forcing me to buy DRM, no. But then again, nobody can expect me to buy a product and then find out whether it uses DRM or not.

I completely agree with your point that it should be clearly stated and also the details of the DRM should be clearly stated. When their DRM is gathering info about me and profiting of that info without me knowing it, that is completely wrong. Non obtrusive DRM and clearly stated DRM should be the norm. I think we are on the same page about that.

If they were, then I would be leading the charge against them, but isn't you being able to have the choice not to buy them enough? What would you rather have, how things are now, or no blu-rays?

Yes.

So you'd rather have no blu-rays and all digital content with codecs that are so highly sophisticated and encrypted they are similiar to bitcoins, basically cannot be decrypted. You think that would be better?

I think we both agree on the main point, DRM should be CLEARLY stated, and its details of how it works and what it exactly it does should be detailed as well.

(I'll point out that I am an author and creator, by the way, since you feel that gives the following more weight.)

First off, I did not state that it gives the following more weight, my point was to make it relatable. And thats just part of what I was trying to express. We need to be thinking about the future, what if pirating became so bad that certain authors died broke because all of their content was pirated when they would have been wealthy if it was stopped.

That is logically where I was going with it, by stating that in principle, there is nothing wrong with anything an author wants you to do to watch or use their content, as long as it does not intrude on your rights, your property or person.

Additional to the reply above mine, this is a false equivalence. You've got three false threads running in one sentence here: You're saying "stole it" when (and correct me if I'm wrong) you meant "experienced it" (or perhaps "made a copy of it without your permission", since that's what Copyright is about),

Yes but no, I meant what I said, any type of theft, whether it is making a copy of it or experiencing it in any way without my permission.

you're saying "profiting from your work" when (AFAIK) you don't mean "are selling unauthorized copies for money" (meaningful piracy) but again just mean "experienced it", and you're saying "without paying you"

Experiencing it is profiting from it without my permission as well, the profit you gain doesn't necessarily need to be material, I never stated that it needs to be, so the experience without my permission or compensation is wrong and illegal.

when the premise of the conversation is a desire to pay for the content without being punished with DRM.

As long as the DRM is clearly stated and non obtrusive there is nothing wrong with DRM, that has been my point from the beginning. I personally want and think that the future will be heavily encrypted digital files that is non obtrusive or clearly states and asks for your permission to gather data.

A more honest and on-topic formation of your question would be, "If you authored and created a product and people experienced it without paying you, would you still be against using DRM to try to stop those people from experiencing what you created?"

That is not my point at all, I could not logically support DRM that isn't clearly stated and non obtrusive, and furthermore I would never support DRM that would stop people from experiencing what I created who have my permission and or compensated me for it. Since we are being exact here, you are dropping the context, you need to state what "people" from experiencing it. People who stole it or have my permission/compensated me for it.

And based on his responses and on the reality of the availability of DRM'd content (that is: there is no DRM strong enough that it cannot be circumvented)

Encrypted digital files with non obtrustive data gathering, it is not the norm, but it exists.

it would not be unreasonable to continue replying: Of course. DRM doesn't stop the people who weren't going to pay for the experience, and it does cause problems and frustration for the people who actually paid,

You are wrong, I can guarantee that it has stopped one person so you are wrong, I tried to make a copy of an audio CD that was encrypted, as well as a DVD and Blu-ray, I gave up because it wasn't worth the effort. And its silly to think it hasn't stopped more than myself, but, I think we can both agree that it doesn't stop everyone.

so it serves no meaningful purpose with regard to preventing those unwilling to pay from experiencing any creative output they desire.

In your opinion it doesn't, but obviously other publishers disagree.

As a creator myself, I don't boycott DRM or DRM'd products (I use Steam, Blu-rays, and my books are available for Kindle and on Audible), but whenever possible I make my creative output available without DRM. (Technically I ticked the no-DRM box when publishing my books to Kindle, but the entire Kindle Store system is akin to Steam, so even if the eBooks aren't encrypted, they're not really DRM-free.) DRM isn't a tool to protect me or my creations, it's primarily a tool to make corporations feel in-control and powerful (its real power is judicial; the DMCA makes breaking DRM painfully unlawful), and its primary side-effect is frustrating paying customers—why would I want to do anything to frustrate my own audience?

You really think the majority of publishers, especially the big ones do not know this? They are thinking about the long game and data gathering. I think we can both agree they are being greedy about it though. They are trying to making obtrusive DRM the norm, and data gathering something that sneaks by the average person, that is completely unfair.

It's obvious where I'm going with my arguements.

1. Anything someone does to their product that is for sale, is completely fair and in their rights, as long as it doesn't fraud or force you or your property into anything.

2. (not so obvious from my previous post, but from this one it is) The future will be digtally encrypted files with non obtrusive data gathering, that is clearly stated and explained in detail and asks for your permission.

And by the way, I'm a creator myself and so far I haven't needed to, but with my major releases I plan to be at the forefront of digital encryption, done the right and non obtrusive way.

But if you are saying it is unfair for any publisher to have a DRM at all, that is incorrect. Simply do not buy their product, they aren't forcing you to buy their products. If I created a DRM that makes you do backflips to watch my movie, that is my perogative, it is unfair for you to demand that I cannot do so. If you want to personally boycott or even promote others to boycott my products, so be it, it is completely in your rights, regardless of what anyone or anything says.

We pretty much totally agree here. I find "unfair" a strange category in this context but well. I personally find the kind of DRM Bluray employs offending, as I find always-on DRM in games offending or Sony's rootkit. I would wish that more people were offended by this so it would stop but do I think it should be outlawed? No, I don't. Ok well, I actually think the rootkit thing should be outlawed but that was rather extreme. Moral categories like "wrong" or "right" are not helping the discussion I think.

BTW, I also don't think circumventing DRM should be illegal, as long as you do it to experience a product you legally bought. Unfortunately, this is not the case everywhere. As stupid as it sounds, in some countries it's actually illegal to watch a DVD on Linux.

Actually it is very similiar, DRM makes it so you need certain hardware and or software to use the product, VHS tapes and TV content makes it so you need to buy certain hardware and or software to use the product, bottom line, let your wallet do the talking.

Well, I think this is a bit discussing semantics here but a TV or some other kind of screen is obviously a technical necessity to watch movies. So I don't think it's a good comparison. It's not like having to buy "a TV to watch movies", it's more like having to buy a special TV to watch a certain movie. If this is just a quantitative difference to you then I won't give you any argument, even though I think of it as a qualitative difference. Perceptions differ.

Do you think that pirating products should be allowed? I hope not, because it is wrong.

No, of course it shouldn't be allowed. I'm open to alternative compensation systems but as things are now, it is of course illegal. I think one can disagree with some of the obscene sums with which people were charged in the US and other countries and the amount of political influence the content industry has but that's a discussion for another day.

Since it is so rampant, I think its silly to expect them not to try.

I think it's very silly of them to try and as I said in the other thread, the amount of DRM the industry deems reasonable differs a lot between media. Even audio books and music differ a lot here, despite both being audio files. Ebooks, movies, games, mobile apps, they all have different approaches but I think no industry goes to such length to try to protect their content as the movie industry does. The amount of strings they had to pull to get their encryption chain tight is insane. And it still doesn't work.

Yes.

So you'd rather have no blu-rays and all digital content with codecs that are so highly sophisticated and encrypted they are similiar to bitcoins, basically cannot be decrypted. You think that would be better?

I never said that but the fact of the matter is that that's basically what we have with Bluray actually. The fundamental problem the movie industry faces though is that they have to give you the encrypted content and the decryption key because otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch the movie. So all they can do is to make it very hard for you to get to the decryption key. Did you know that your Bluray player could stop playing all new movies tomorrow, because someone on the other side of the world got to the decryption key in his player which happened to be from the same run as yours? Every new Bluray comes with an updated blacklist of keys that became invalid.

Nono, you really can't say they didn't try. But ultimately it's an impossible problem and the harder they try, the harder they screw their legitimate customers. That's the fundamental dilemma with DRM and that's why I think it's actually in the best interest of the content industry not to try in the first place.

I will not further invest time in this conversation, since we clearly do not share the same language. You use words in ways that do not match either the dictionary definitions or common usage, and additionally you sometimes do not read closely even when I use uncontested words, so there can be no meaningful communication between us.

I apologize for wasting your time by assuming words had meaning.

I apologize for wasting your time by assuming words had meaning.

And this is precisely the problem, I don't assume words have meaning, I use reason, logic, and have objective definitions of the words I use, although the dictionary is a good tool, it is not the be all end all of a words meaning, reality is. Dictionaries have and do still have errors.

Common usuage is completely irrelevant to this arguement, because the majority of people use words subjectively and think reality is subjective which is obviously wrong and obviously something you prescribe too.

So yes you are correct, it is a waste of time to disuss anything without anyone that assumes when they can know instead.

I completely agree that current DRM's are a lot of the time unfair and ineffecient.

I thought you had a lot of valid points and I just wanted to make sure you weren't saying that DRM in principal is unfair. Thanks.

When will the first episode arrive in my humblebundle-account? The AF14 starts yersterday and i did´nt find it there.

I watched episode 0 and now I want to see Pendelton Ward's full pich to the team, it seemed hillarious but I can't seem to find it in twitch.... some help would be appreciated :D

When will the first episode arrive in my humblebundle-account? The AF14 starts yersterday and i did´nt find it there.

I don't know about that, but it looks like they will be posting them on YouTube first (here's the link to episode zero for instance:

) then probably a day or two later they'll be on the Humble site (and presumably available to download in HD quality).

Still missing the video in my humblebundle-library - only see the day 0-video on youtube. But I want to download the episodes to watch them on my way to work on train.

Still missing the video in my humblebundle-library - only see the day 0-video on youtube. But I want to download the episodes to watch them on my way to work on train.

Only the Day 0 video is out. The rest aren't made yet. Episode 1 comes out later today, and then it should be daily (late in the day).

Only the Day 0 video is out. The rest aren't made yet. Episode 1 comes out later today, and then it should be daily (late in the day).

So there isn't any exclusive videos for bakers or humble bundle payees?

Sign in to follow this