Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Goldenheaven

What prototypes did you vote for?

Im creating this topic as i'd like to have a sneak peek if you will of whats to come tomorrow, i also want to remind people this in no way will resemble the final counting but will provide an general idea as im sure not all people on humblebundle signed here.

Note: i also don't have nothing else to do except stare at the forum waiting, so this will provide me some "action" xD, on another note you can also let me know which of the game you would vote for instead of any of pen's pitchs since some people are grumpy about that.

Instead of pen's pitch i'd vote for timagotchi (primarely seeing as dear leader seems popular enough) even though i like the possibility of no more mcdonalds happeningE.

P.P.S: Pool is in the order id vote (first for pen's ideas then the prototypes, Everything from No More McDonalds to Little Pink Best Buds aren't games to me as more of mini-games and everything bellow Mega Rad Karate isn't a game (to me/i'd like to play)).

Totally messed it up, thought you'd be able to vote on more than one, so instead just vote for the one you'd vote instead of pen's pitches and write your votes.

I'm most excited for Era's Of Adventure. Evoland was really well done, and point-and-click Adventure Games are my favorite genre, so this was a no-brainer. I also voted for Dear Leader and Mnemonic. For my P. Ward vote, I chose Cupid, You Fast Little Scamp since this seemed like the most game-like and feasible prototype that could be done in two-weeks. I almost wanted to vote for Little Pink Best Buds but I hated Façade.

I just couldn't vote for cupid because it was presented as a fat cupid who likes to stab people in the butt and also as a ios/mobile idea which seems to be consumer limiting, damnit jerry its more of a stab at fat people while pink best buds just seems to be more of a sims kind of pitch and wouldn't be interesting unless you added natural language.

Era's of adventure i guess i didn't give it much attention.

Doesn't really make sense to put Pen's pitches in the same poll as their votes are separate.

Aaanyway, I'm calling it for: Dear Leader, Steed and What Could Go Wrong.

Era's of adventure i guess i didn't give it much attention as i can't compreend why someone would want to create retro games in modern times besides saving time (strikes me as a lazy, greedy (in the sense less resources spent to make the game and try to get as much revenue as a game like dayz or other newly released game (10-20$) developer).

This kind of reductive statement seriously pisses me off. I've made a few games now and they've pretty much all been retro in their graphical styles, with some of them having retro gameplay elements too. The reason that I went with this was a style choice far more than it was from a desire to save time or 'be lazy'. The fact is, I am not an accomplished artist, but I know how to make certain things look pretty good, and one of those things is 16-bit style pixel art. So, short of getting outside help that I can't afford to pay for for my projects, I'm happy to use it.

But even if it wasn't the case, I still like it as an aesthetic choice. I have, so far, liked the way that the games I have made look in that style, and certain of them I'd still love to make in that style even if I was good at other things. I'm trying a slightly different approach with another game I'm working on, but would return to making retro-style games in a heartbeat.

I would rather pick an art style that I can make look consistently good, than worry over what some guy thinks about the amount of effort I'm putting into my work.

If it's okay for me to make a retro-style game, not just because of limited resources, but because I enjoy it as a style choice, the I don't care who else does it either. It takes me a ton of effort to produce the art for my games, and some recent games that have used a retro aesthetic like, say, Risk of Rain seem to me to have had a LOT of time and effort put into their visual design (and the rest), so to dismiss it as a way of being lazy is not only wrongheaded but it's downright insulting.

Era's of adventure i guess i didn't give it much attention.

This kind of reductive statement seriously pisses me off. I've made a few games now and they've pretty much all been retro in their graphical styles, with some of them having retro gameplay elements too. The reason that I went with this was a style choice far more than it was from a desire to save time or 'be lazy'. The fact is, I am not an accomplished artist, but I know how to make certain things look pretty good, and one of those things is 16-bit style pixel art. So, short of getting outside help that I can't afford to pay for for my projects, I'm happy to use it.

But even if it wasn't the case, I still like it as an aesthetic choice. I have, so far, liked the way that the games I have made look in that style, and certain of them I'd still love to make in that style even if I was good at other things. I'm trying a slightly different approach with another game I'm working on, but would return to making retro-style games in a heartbeat.

I would rather pick an art style that I can make look consistently good, than worry over what some guy thinks about the amount of effort I'm putting into my work.

If it's okay for me to make a retro-style game, not just because of limited resources, but because I enjoy it as a style choice, the I don't care who else does it either. It takes me a ton of effort to produce the art for my games, and some recent games that have used a retro aesthetic like, say, Risk of Rain seem to me to have had a LOT of time and effort put into their visual design (and the rest), so to dismiss it as a way of being lazy is not only wrongheaded but it's downright insulting.

I understand your point of view and i don't dislike pixel art & retro when its well done.

As for being lazy part i meant it as: Im anti-greedy people also being lazy.

BAD GOLF 2!

BAD GOLF 2!

BAD GOLF 2!

I also voted for Dear Leader and Eras of Adventure. If by some miracle the money in my Pay Pal account clears in the next 5 hours, I would vote for Cupid as well.

Doesn't really make sense to put Pen's pitches in the same poll as their votes are separate.

Aaanyway, I'm calling it for: Dear Leader, Steed and What Could Go Wrong.

I did try to put them separatly but anytime i clicked add pool the other disapeared.

Last Missile Commander, Project 行, What Could Go Wrong.

I'd vote for Eras of Adventure and Dear Leader but I'm 99% certain they are going to make it anyway. I'll hate myself if they don't. Runners-up are Humans: A Study Guide, ExtraTerrarium, Ether, Breach and White Witch's Gnome War.

All of the games mentioned must be made by Double Fine. Into full games I mean.

BAD GOLF 2

Headlander

Derelict

----- -----

WAGH NO BAD GOLF 2! :( :( :(

When I made the list of pitches I was interested in, I came up with 6 - Dear Leader, Eras of Adventure and Breach...they didn't make my cut, but they are all in the top ten, interestingly. So now Dear Leader and Eras of Adventure are getting my vote, along with Derelict still.

Last Missile Commander, Project 行, What Could Go Wrong.

I'd vote for Eras of Adventure and Dear Leader but I'm 99% certain they are going to make it anyway. I'll hate myself if they don't. Runners-up are Humans: A Study Guide, ExtraTerrarium, Ether, Breach and White Witch's Gnome War.

All of the games mentioned must be made by Double Fine. Into full games I mean.

99% of accuracy :P not bad.

My new pitch votes are dear leader(because you never know), ether and xing.

Yeah well, 7 of the 10 I mentioned made it and both of the ones I was certain about. That's not bad, is it?

Yeah well, 7 of the 10 I mentioned made it and both of the ones I was certain about. That's not bad, is it?

Not at all even though i meant the 99% only taking into account the 1st three and your two main subs for pen

Not at all even though i meant the 99% only taking into account the 1st three and your two main subs for pen

I'm pretty sure Last Missile Commander just didn't make it because the pitch didn't do a great job of conveying the gameplay. I was sold at "Wargames" already but to learn what the game really was about I had to look it up on the forum and probably not many people did that :/ I hope we'll see it again next year with a better pitch.

I'm pretty sure Last Missile Commander just didn't make it because the pitch didn't do a great job of conveying the gameplay. I was sold at "Wargames" already but to learn what the game really was about I had to look it up on the forum and probably not many people did that :/ I hope we'll see it again next year with a better pitch.

Not many people did that with alot of games and i hope that does happen with xing, i loved how he remembered what was talked here about setting traps because that idea of like setting fire to bamboo really translates as an example of what he wanted to do with the game and i think that he just didn't pass that on his pitch movie, though people who watched the stream probably have a better idea of what he wanted to accomplish by mixing different elements to create different results.

Steed

What could go wrong?

Fathomless

I really could have voted for so many of these pitches, so whatever ends up being the 3 is going to be good.

I have to say that I especially enjoyed hearing Andy talk about Ether, because that is something I took off my list early and I probably shouldn't have. It surprised me, when I heard more about it. :-)

project xing-mnemonic-great spirits

very hard choiche, 'couse almost all pitches were intriguing

There were A LOT of great game pitches this year. So, it was hard to decide just 3 from them. But, my first 3 picks were:

What Could Go Wrong

Bad Golf 2

Timagotchi

I REALLY wanted to vote for Parabolic as well. But, ran out of votes.

Sadly, Bad Golf 2 and Timagotchi didn't make it into the top ten.

For the final vote I went for:

What Could Go Wrong

Steed

Dear Leader

For the last vote, I was having trouble choosing between Derelict, Dear Leader, and Ether. But, the fact that Anna wore a Bad Golf 3 shirt during the pitch interviews on the livestream made me choose Dear Leader over the other 2. :-) Honestly, I would love to see all 5 of these games made.

For the Pendleton Ward pitch I chose Little Pink Best Buds because it sounded the most humorous and interesting of the 4 pitches. No More McDonalds sounded fun as well, but, is WAAAAYYY too ambitious to be made into even a decent prototype in 2 weeks IMO. I would buy the game if it was ever released though.

There were A LOT of great game pitches this year. So, it was hard to decide just 3 from them. But, my first 3 picks were:

What Could Go Wrong

Bad Golf 2

Timagotchi

I REALLY wanted to vote for Parabolic as well. But, ran out of votes.

Sadly, Bad Golf 2 and Timagotchi didn't make it into the top ten.

For the final vote I went for:

What Could Go Wrong

Steed

Dear Leader

For the last vote, I was having trouble choosing between Derelict, Dear Leader, and Ether. But, the fact that Anna wore a Bad Golf 3 shirt during the pitch interviews on the livestream made me choose Dear Leader over the other 2. :-) Honestly, I would love to see all 5 of these games made.

For the Pendleton Ward pitch I chose Little Pink Best Buds because it sounded the most humorous and interesting of the 4 pitches. No More McDonalds sounded fun as well, but, is WAAAAYYY too ambitious to be made into even a decent prototype in 2 weeks IMO. I would buy the game if it was ever released though.

Those pitches were and are great, secondly are you letting WAAAAYYY too ambitious get the best of your vote, if you like the pitch vote for it no matter how ambitious you think it is, because its totaly feasable and your not supposed to get a full game in two weeks your supposed to get a sneak peak ...

Well, that is true. But, I also liked the pitch for Little Pink Best Buds much more then No More McDonalds. There is enough Zombie Survival MMO games on the market atm for me. I am looking for more original ideas from Double Fine and Amnesia Fortnight.

Honestly, I would buy the majority of these pitched games if they were released.

Well, that is true. But, I also liked the pitch for Little Pink Best Buds much more then No More McDonalds. There is enough Zombie Survival MMO games on the market atm for me. I am looking for more original ideas from Double Fine and Amnesia Fortnight.

Honestly, I would buy the majority of these pitched games if they were released.

I would to, secondly its not a zombie survival mmo because you don't have to survive though if you want to keep being human you'd be fighting for your human survival.

All three of my votes made it to the finals, and my two runner ups are in as well...

Dear Leader, Steed and Derelict were my votes,

and the other two are Ether and Mnemonic.

I'm hoping that at least one of them gets made...

My Pen Ward pick would be Little Pink Best Buds,

but in the end I'm just curious how the whole Pendleton thing will turn out... :D

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say this stuff but hey whatever! Honestly I'm excited for any of the games, but since I had to pick my 3 favorites... (and since I didn't want to vote for my own game due to my bizarre honor code)

In the first round I voted for:

* What Could Go Wrong

* Parabolic

* Bad Golf 2

In the second round I voted for:

* What Could Go Wrong

* Dear Leader

* ExtraTerrarium

And for Pen's game:

* No More McDonald's

Votes and stuff.

I find it really interesting how DFers voted and their reasoning behind their votes. You said, in the No More McDonalds thread, that you, as a programmer, should be balking at all the work a game like that would create and yet you're practically jumping at the bit to work on it. That, and your votes there, say a lot about you I think. It's just neat to see stuff like that. What specifics, if any, made you choose the three you did? If you don't mind my asking, that is.

If I had to guess, I would guess its cause of the interesting challenges (technical or otherwise) that games like those represent.

Yeah, justifications come pretty easy for so many of these pitches, it really is barely more than a coin toss vs. some of the other things on the list. However, hear are my quick reasons:

* What Could Go Wrong: Dave's a super funny and talented guy and I'd love to see him run something, especially if it features wacky death scenarios; he's got a great eye for film and has a ton of experience on DFA so I'm excited to see what kind of adventure game sequences he'd put together.

* Parabolic: I said immediately after seeing this that it was my favorite pitch of all of them. Partly because it was surprising (I seriously didn't expect an implied terror plot after the first 20 seconds of the pitch), but also because I don't think I've seen anything quite like it. One of very few pitches which doesn't mention another video game or movie, and I applaud that! Also I worked tirelessly on Madden for years (and I don't like football, it was just a super interesting place to learn things and there weren't any other video game jobs where I lived) and I wouldn't mind making a football stadium tick again.

* Bad Golf 2: I had a blast working with Patrick on dropchord last year and the work he did for Happy Action Theater / Kinect Party is among some of my favorite that Double Fine has produced. I have no doubt that his crazy golf game would have been as fun to work on as it was to play. Also I think pitching it over and over and over is a hilariously effective long-game way to get an AF pitch approved.

* Dear Leader: I really think Anna nailed her pitch, but also I find it very intriguing that this game is as much satire as it is a condemnation of legitimate problems in the world. Like with the big influences she listed (Papers, Please, and Cart Life) I think this could actually be a legitimately important game that raises issues behind a thin veil of sad jokes.

* ExtraTerrarium: I love that Asif made it through and while I've so far only worked with him through a camera lens I love the heart and dedication found in all of the 2 Player guys. Also, I got sort of a Metroid Prime feel from this and I love the ecology and exploration in that game. Like with Pen's pitches, I think each of the 2PP guys bring a fresh vision to the table, and I think that's the sort of thing that this industry could use more of.

Also my 4th pick from Round 1 would have been Headlander... Mostly because I want Lee running a game because I love how fully he realizes worlds... but also he seems to balance and compromise such that his teams don't need to worry about getting the whole thing done. Haven't worked on a Petty project yet but I'm sure I will someday.

I voted for Breach which was my favorite, I love the Gerard O'Neil meets Soyuz with retro future bank robbers thing. We need more semi-generic 70's-esque solar system piracy sci-fi concepts in video gaming. Luckily Breach made it to round two.

Headlanders eventually seduced me with it's almost serious but off the beaten path charm(gritting your teeth with determination as your neck thruster slowly and awkwardly takes you to another body is AWESOME! I like the possible Niven/Known Space reference 'Flatlanders', and I like the idea of one of those cryogenically frozen heads waking up in the future still as a head and arrogantly feeling obligated to dismantle the sketchy inferred dystopia he finds there. Take THAT Brave New World!). Too bad the voters felt differently.

Great Spirits just seemed like a decent bet as far as being up Double Fine's usual alley and the art popped nicely. So yeah, I'd have liked to have played that. Again, not to be.

I voted for the No More McDonald's concept since wandering and base building in zombie land seems to be a deep well to dip water from, but really none of those four grabbed me much. A couple of them sounded like wacky little mobile projects like Adult Swim typically does.

I almost voted for the Space Helmet thing but I didn't like the boss battles ending with pizza part, and am not really a Star Fox fan. I look at that art and I want an alt take on Metroid-Vania not Yars Revenge meets meets Sinistar in 3D with Starfox controls. But that's just me.

my final picks are:

breach: because i like the basic idea of commanding a ship breaching another ship and attacking it from within, and i like the reference games of FTL for the random encounters and ship control and also Kerbal space programme because i am guessing there may be some ship customisation (even though that wasn't mentioned in the later review)

Dear Leader: because i like the idea of being a tyrannical leader and i like the reference games of cart life and papers please, but i hope there will be slightly less tedium then there is in those games

ExtraTerrarium: because i like the idea of being a creature that steals powers by figuring out how to defeat them and using those powers to figure out how to defeat more creatures etc. and i think the creatures will be very creative

and

No More McDonald’s: because i like the world setting and i think the human fortification and building would be cool and the zombies having to defeat the humans to become human again seems like it would be fun, and although it is stated to be massively multiplayer i imagine it won't be WOW massive i'm imagining quite largely multiplayer instead

2nd round votes:

Breach. Yeaaah! Go Breach!

Extra Terrarium. Might be cool. Sounds a little bit like Evolva, seventh cross Evolution, Cubivore, Flow, or Darkspore or a less structured version of the Soul Reaver games where you have a wider selection of vampires to steal powers from and trade offs to consider instead of colleting the whole set Metroid/Zelda style.

Derelict. Kind of a trailing choice. I was pretty invested in my first three choices. I guess spaceship horror is okay. But Ihope it's not just a toy chest with notes and doohickeys in it. That Gone Home reference has me worried since I'm not really in the mood for more of the Myst 2.0 + diary formula.

No More McDonald's again. If it counts the 2nd time. I dunno.

Looks like I'm super in the minority here but I voted for:

- Mega Rad Karate Troopers: I loved Iron Brigade and I enjoy turn based games. The nostalgic kid in me jumped up and high-fived this game concept! I don't think there has been a turn based that covered this type of gameplay and I love the idea of having the customizable element to figure out which robots beat what kind of kaiju best.

-The White Witches Gnome War: I really loved the idea of taking this small, underdog team of gnomes and building them into an elite force to take down an evil king. Lots of opportunity to create an extremely magical world and could really play with scale. Like using Pikmin to battle Humans.

- Ether: The one thing about Journey was that the exploration was (purposefully) linear. This concept sounded like it removed the flying restrictions of Journey, and added open world exploration to solve the mysteries. Sold.

Sign in to follow this