Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Someone should compile audio files from the community chanting "Bad Golf! Bad Golf" for some sort of theme.

Someone should compile audio files from the community chanting "Bad Golf! Bad Golf" for some sort of theme.

You guys are awesome! Officially or unofficially - it's like we're getting a fifth Amnesia Fortnight game (just like in 2012!)

You guys are awesome! Officially or unofficially - it's like we're getting a fifth Amnesia Fortnight game (just like in 2012!)

A new test build has arrived!

With networked multiplayer now behaving again (although we can expect further improvements), build releases should come quicker. Yay!

Affectionately known as 2014-02-26_ae0fb1d, this build contains @osse101's network tweaks, @fatmandu's test course in local multiplayer mode, @HuitreMagique's player driving animations, @jasondesante's title music, @Slimliner's cart improvements, @Vaakapallo's initial golf physics, @elneilios' ball control mechanics, @ErikBehar's user input changes, and much more!

Instructions

Use WASD and arrow keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer.

In online multiplayer mode, press T to chat, and G to make the player model appear next to the ball.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use the mouse to aim and click to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart.

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* Offline multiplayer throws index out of bounds errors on Mac OS builds and is not usable :(

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move

* The ball in local multiplayer will often fall through the bottom of the map

* An "Assets/scenes" warning will be visible

* Selecting level_01_local_multi in the local multiplayer selection screen will result in an index out of bounds error

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* The last line of chat text is obscured by horizontal scroll bars after a long message

* Debug console logs errors when clients connect and disconnect

* Ball collision remains after client disconnect

A new test build has arrived!

With networked multiplayer now behaving again (although we can expect further improvements), build releases should come quicker. Yay!

Affectionately known as 2014-02-26_ae0fb1d, this build contains @osse101's network tweaks, @fatmandu's test course in local multiplayer mode, @HuitreMagique's player driving animations, @jasondesante's title music, @Slimliner's cart improvements, @Vaakapallo's initial golf physics, @elneilios' ball control mechanics, @ErikBehar's user input changes, and much more!

Instructions

Use WASD and arrow keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer.

In online multiplayer mode, press T to chat, and G to make the player model appear next to the ball.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use the mouse to aim and click to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart.

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* Offline multiplayer throws index out of bounds errors on Mac OS builds and is not usable :(

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move

* The ball in local multiplayer will often fall through the bottom of the map

* An "Assets/scenes" warning will be visible

* Selecting level_01_local_multi in the local multiplayer selection screen will result in an index out of bounds error

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* The last line of chat text is obscured by horizontal scroll bars after a long message

* Debug console logs errors when clients connect and disconnect

* Ball collision remains after client disconnect

kick back and listen to an updated lobby track!

there aren't two guitars anymore because thats just ridiculous. new piano and guitar tracks, both one takes so it feels jazz. might be a bit too out there....i donno let me know what you think!

Haven't posted this anywhere else yet. I'm shy about what's close to me, but its time to let it out in the wild. Just released this after a long long time of making it. my band :) spent thousands of hours over many years. if one person listens to one song it will make my day. thats how little attention it gets, not even enough to know if its good or not because people havent listened to any of it to even know if its bad. and the depression of working on something very personal for years and then its out in the world now. what a feeling :( Please check this out if you have the time would make my day! :D

http://intoxicatedillusions.bandcamp.com/

kick back and listen to an updated lobby track!

there aren't two guitars anymore because thats just ridiculous. new piano and guitar tracks, both one takes so it feels jazz. might be a bit too out there....i donno let me know what you think!

Haven't posted this anywhere else yet. I'm shy about what's close to me, but its time to let it out in the wild. Just released this after a long long time of making it. my band :) spent thousands of hours over many years. if one person listens to one song it will make my day. thats how little attention it gets, not even enough to know if its good or not because people havent listened to any of it to even know if its bad. and the depression of working on something very personal for years and then its out in the world now. what a feeling :( Please check this out if you have the time would make my day! :D

http://intoxicatedillusions.bandcamp.com/

My first reaction was Jazz is a little too soothing maybe? Then I looked up the THPS1 Menu Song as an example for awesome Menu Music that PUMPS YOU UP, but now I have to realize, that one was pretty chill, too! So maybe you are on to something? ;D Maybe make the Menutrack a bit more funky than jazzy.

My first reaction was Jazz is a little too soothing maybe? Then I looked up the THPS1 Menu Song as an example for awesome Menu Music that PUMPS YOU UP, but now I have to realize, that one was pretty chill, too! So maybe you are on to something? ;D Maybe make the Menutrack a bit more funky than jazzy.

My first reaction was Jazz is a little too soothing maybe?

The idea is that this is what you'd get when joining a multiplayer lobby and doing your pre-game character selection and stuff. The menu music before it would be this, and when we got into the game, we'd have more energetic stuff.

My first reaction was Jazz is a little too soothing maybe?

The idea is that this is what you'd get when joining a multiplayer lobby and doing your pre-game character selection and stuff. The menu music before it would be this, and when we got into the game, we'd have more energetic stuff.

The menu music works. I'm in a meeting and it's playing in my head.

Great job!

Great job!

Time for another update!

Today (well, today for me) marks the 14th day since we started work on this project. To celebrate, we've got a new build up! This is our second "official build", and whilst it's still rough around the edges, I think we're showing a lot of promise. Please read the release notes and feel free to create new issues on GitHub for any bugs which don't seem to be covered by existing issues. Yay!

From this point on, we're hoping to do more frequent builds (every couple of days depending on the stability of the game), so keep an eye out!

Today also saw the 4th episode of the Amnesia Fortnight 2014 documentary aired, featuring an interview with Patrick Hackett. From

Patrick talks about Bad Golf: Community Edition, and shows some driving gameplay from a development version of the game.

You make games because you want to play the games. But in reality, like, if I come up with a game idea and I don't get to make it, I really want somebody else to make it just so I can play it. And so (with) this, I was like OMG please make it make it make it!

The video was taken down a few hours ago and reuploaded, so previous links in this thread may be out of date.

Xexano has been working on some Brad face animations (issue #7)

AI9xAHF.gif

MaritalWheat has been working on in-game ball indicators based on AustinCarr's icons (issue #110)

pixel_mockup.png

Lokno has also been playing around with minimap icons (issue #92)

oUdm9v8.jpg

Josh_S has been putting some finishing touches on his cart model (issue #2)

lobby_online_mock_01.png

lightsoda has been working on some concepts for the pre-match lobby screen (issue #100)

elneilios has added some bounciness to the ball and updated the golf swing controls to be mouse/controller friendly (issue #22)

jasondesante has updated his lobby track as seen earlier in the thread (issue #9)

bales has also made two updated versions of his lobby track (issue #9)

bc5389 has been working on more minimap stuff, exploring possible implementation options (issue #85)

thegsm and elneilios spent some time troubleshooting a debugging related issue that seems to arise upstream from InControl

george has been working on particle effects for the cart (issue #21)

Rick has provided a possible score increment sound that we could use when tallying up bonus points at the end of a hole (issue #14)

RyanMorash has been working on tweaking some UI niggles (issue #16)

invadererik has continued to work on split screen multiplayer (issue #62)

bobsayshilol has been refactoring some of the network code (issue #20)

Goldenheaven has been working on abstracting some of our in-level elements so that we can easily launch any level with networked multiplayer rather than having to add stuff to each scene (issue #20)

Last but not least, we had some more coverage from MeriStation, Wired, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Shoost, Pixels For Breakfast, Arcade Sushi, Sportra, Leviathyn and Start Button Gaming. Crazy! :D

Awesome work, people! <3

Great job!

hey you youre awesome

Great job!

hey you youre awesome

Lol this looks way too good, look out, don't get ordered to stop like Interceptor did, when their Duke Nukem 3D Remake showed more promise than the actual Duke Nukem Forever. :D

P.s.: Will you get more Caricatures of DF employees in the game in time?

Lol this looks way too good, look out, don't get ordered to stop like Interceptor did, when their Duke Nukem 3D Remake showed more promise than the actual Duke Nukem Forever. :D

You guys XeXano totally rocked that Brad face animation! SO GOOD!!! Crazy amount of work by everyone and crazy amount of coverage these past few days!

I want to do heads for all of the AF peeps who pitched something this year, but that's easy for me to say as someone who isn't touching any 3D modeling or animation :P

You guys XeXano totally rocked that Brad face animation! SO GOOD!!! Crazy amount of work by everyone and crazy amount of coverage these past few days!

I want to do heads for all of the AF peeps who pitched something this year, but that's easy for me to say as someone who isn't touching any 3D modeling or animation :P

I want to do heads for all of the AF peeps who pitched something this year, but that's easy for me to say as something who isn't touching any 3D modeling or animation :P

I'd still love to see someone take on adding Patrick's T-shirt of Bad Golf AF 2015 :)

It would be awesome to see him play with this character variance while wearing that shirt.

Oh yeah these Brad animations rock!

I want to do heads for all of the AF peeps who pitched something this year, but that's easy for me to say as something who isn't touching any 3D modeling or animation :P

I'd still love to see someone take on adding Patrick's T-shirt of Bad Golf AF 2015 :)

It would be awesome to see him play with this character variance while wearing that shirt.

Oh yeah these Brad animations rock!

Maybe for the end of AF, shoot for at least 4 different heads, given that the multiplayer seems to be 4-Player?

Maybe for the end of AF, shoot for at least 4 different heads, given that the multiplayer seems to be 4-Player?

That would be great - other folks are already working on more models, from what I could gather. If I have time later I'd love to tackle some more characters, a full DF/AF roster would definitely be extremely cool to have up for selection :)

I'm loving the amazing progress the gameplay programming folks get into the game each day, and the GUI elements and music already approaches great polish levels!

Thanks for the positive feedback on the face anim, there's lots of good reference to get the happy face right, but the angry pose is completely speculative :D