Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Tim also played our latest build during the Twitch stream (and managed to find some bugs!)

Fixes for those are already on the way!

Tim is always welcomed to submit bug reports :)

Tim also played our latest build during the Twitch stream (and managed to find some bugs!)

In fact, I think I may already have merged those fixes (11 hours ago to be precise) :D

In fact, I think I may already have merged those fixes (11 hours ago to be precise) :D

Kinda surprised that there's no tracking of how many shots you've hit on the current hole (stroke tracking) yet. I figure that'd be a super-easy one for someone to program in (variable for each player, +1 each time they hit, display "Shot (currentPlayerScore+ 1)" somewhere on the screen. Resets after ball goes in the hole.

You could hit Tab or something to bring up everyone's realtime score for the hole (and eventually see the scores for the whole round).

Hey just throwing it out there - for simplicity sake - what are people's thoughts on treating character/colour selection more like mario kart where each character can only be chosen once and have their own pre-determined visual style? It would mean that you could just design a colour style/golf cart for each character and reduce the amount of user selection down to 1 decision. Could be a good dev time saver, would simplify the UI and would potentially help aid in player readability during the game?

Anyway just a thought :)

-Marty

That'd be easier but I think it's going to be easier for people to contribute different shirts, hats etc than new character heads and models. I see it having a TF2 style loadout since you'd want to be able to pick clubs (maybe you could have a Hockey Stick putter ala Happy Gilmore) and other things eventually. You might have a gas golf cart that's faster but the golf cart with a roof and headlights can take more damage.

Kinda surprised that there's no tracking of how many shots you've hit on the current hole (stroke tracking) yet. I figure that'd be a super-easy one for someone to program in (variable for each player, +1 each time they hit, display "Shot (currentPlayerScore+ 1)" somewhere on the screen. Resets after ball goes in the hole.

You could hit Tab or something to bring up everyone's realtime score for the hole (and eventually see the scores for the whole round).

Hey just throwing it out there - for simplicity sake - what are people's thoughts on treating character/colour selection more like mario kart where each character can only be chosen once and have their own pre-determined visual style? It would mean that you could just design a colour style/golf cart for each character and reduce the amount of user selection down to 1 decision. Could be a good dev time saver, would simplify the UI and would potentially help aid in player readability during the game?

Anyway just a thought :)

-Marty

That'd be easier but I think it's going to be easier for people to contribute different shirts, hats etc than new character heads and models. I see it having a TF2 style loadout since you'd want to be able to pick clubs (maybe you could have a Hockey Stick putter ala Happy Gilmore) and other things eventually. You might have a gas golf cart that's faster but the golf cart with a roof and headlights can take more damage.

I haven't been able to contribute anything, but this is starting to look really great! I'll start studying Unity, so for the next AF I'll be ready! Keep up the good work!

I haven't been able to contribute anything, but this is starting to look really great! I'll start studying Unity, so for the next AF I'll be ready! Keep up the good work!

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

\o/!!! Thanks Dave! Thanks guys!

Super sweet work everyone! Let's get this thing together so Tim won't have to slam into my cart to get me out of the sticky walls again.

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

\o/!!! Thanks Dave! Thanks guys!

Super sweet work everyone! Let's get this thing together so Tim won't have to slam into my cart to get me out of the sticky walls again.

Yeh fair enough - anyway that's enough bad ideas from me for one day, off to bed :)

Yeh fair enough - anyway that's enough bad ideas from me for one day, off to bed :)

Cool, so when is Tim testing my fix? :lol:

Cool, so when is Tim testing my fix? :lol:

Oh, Kudos to Taekon for taking up the task of Patrick Bad Golf 3 AF 2015 T-shirt! Didn't really think we'll be able to have it in early.

After that it's up to Patrick to wear it while playing. Only when we have this on cam he's allowed to wear a different one :)

Oh, Kudos to Taekon for taking up the task of Patrick Bad Golf 3 AF 2015 T-shirt! Didn't really think we'll be able to have it in early.

After that it's up to Patrick to wear it while playing. Only when we have this on cam he's allowed to wear a different one :)

Update time! :D

Tim also played our latest build during the Twitch stream (and managed to find some bugs!),

I missed the twitch stream, and can't find it at past broadcasts...

Any clue where to find the archived version?

Update time! :D

Tim also played our latest build during the Twitch stream (and managed to find some bugs!),

Hey hey! Could you post your concepts/layouts up on the corresponding issue on our GitHub database :D? It'd make it much easier for us to keep all of the contributions in one place!

No problems! Glad to be able to help. And yeah it'd be super cool if we manage to get the shirt in on time :D

Something happened with Twitch and the video wasn't archived :(. 2PP has been looking into fixing it though! Haven't heard from them yet.

Hey hey! Could you post your concepts/layouts up on the corresponding issue on our GitHub database :D? It'd make it much easier for us to keep all of the contributions in one place!

No problems! Glad to be able to help. And yeah it'd be super cool if we manage to get the shirt in on time :D

Something happened with Twitch and the video wasn't archived :(. 2PP has been looking into fixing it though! Haven't heard from them yet.

After that it's up to Patrick to wear it while playing.

I think we need content selection interfaces first :D

I don't know what has to be done to be able to contribute with this, but the first time I saw the pitch for Bad Golf I thought "damn, if it isn't approved I hope it can somehow be made". In fact, I even did think about sending some mail to Patrick Hackett to offer myself as an artist in case he wanted to do the game in his off-time (although I thought it would be a bad idea, and never did it, heh).

I'm a professional artist (currently lead artist for a PS4 game called RiME), and I have some experience at art directing, so I'd be glad, if there's a need for it, to lend a hand at finding a final visual aesthetic to it, perhaps doing some paintovers on current screenshots or whatever, doing some 3D models or whatever's needed. This game needs to be done, and be awesome :)

Please tell me if there's something I can help with

I don't know what has to be done to be able to contribute with this, but the first time I saw the pitch for Bad Golf I thought "damn, if it isn't approved I hope it can somehow be made". In fact, I even did think about sending some mail to Patrick Hackett to offer myself as an artist in case he wanted to do the game in his off-time (although I thought it would be a bad idea, and never did it, heh).

I'm a professional artist (currently lead artist for a PS4 game called RiME), and I have some experience at art directing, so I'd be glad, if there's a need for it, to lend a hand at finding a final visual aesthetic to it, perhaps doing some paintovers on current screenshots or whatever, doing some 3D models or whatever's needed. This game needs to be done, and be awesome :)

Hey man,

The way this currently works is that we are maintaining a list of issues and anyone can take anything. You can also (and encouraged to) open other issues for things not covered. There's no central management or committee, anyone can weigh in. The best way to get started is just look at the current wiki (it's still being expanded) look at issues that may interest you. You can also join the irc chat if you would like more direct discussion about your ideas or where you would like to contribute. Everything you see was developed using this method and it's possible thanks to the many talents involved.

So don't wait for someone to tell you what to do, just take whatever seems best. Hoping to see you there soon!

I made a test scene and redid some textures and made some rocks. It should be in the latest build once someone adds it. here is a screen shot. i used some assets in there already and made a few of my own

BG2_Test_SC.jpg

BG2_Test_SC.jpg.f27125f6d6d6526997572d2c

Definitely check the Git for issues to which you'd want to contribute.

Otherwise, I was thinking about pushing the character art as well-- I love the simplicity of Taekon's concepts but I think it'd be really cool to have something more of caricatures for all the DF staff that's going into the game. Michael Firman has been doing some amazing caricature portraits of DF staff, I'm thinking I'd like to make models of these. Abelo, if you wanted to help me out with unifying some of those designs for a better read in 3D, that would be greatly appreciated!

(Don't worry, Cheeseness, I'll make a "nice to have" issue in the Git about this as well ;) )

I made a test scene and redid some textures and made some rocks. It should be in the latest build once someone adds it. here is a screen shot. i used some assets in there already and made a few of my own

Good stuff, Mathore. My only suggestion would be to "cartoonify" the rocks more-- make them more painterly TF2 style, or look at Airborn for reference-- as right now they seem a little too photo-real compared to the rest of the world. I love those trees, though!

This is looking great, guys! Should any need for video come up, let me know! :)

Video of all our builds are welcome! We haven't really got anybody on it at this point, but it would be wonderful to get a visual progression reel going :)

Also, Taekon, that's a lovely sketch! :D

Cool. I'm a bit swamped this weekend, but I should be able to get something out early next week.

Oh my god, that game is gorgeous.

Actually, it's the other way around - there's a whole lot of super simple stuff that we're choosing to prioritise we get other core gameplay stuff implemented (being able to take a swing at the ball at all is pretty new :) ).

A "leaderboard" overlay is definitely on the todo list (it's currently mentioned in #17).

Contributions are totally welcome!

It might help from a readability perspective, and would probably be the right direction to go for a more focused/closed project, but since we're accepting contributions from anybody, there are no guarantees that we'll be able to get carts that match player models and vice versa. Giving players granular control over what content they use is an important aspect of showcasing everything that we get. From a social perspective, being able to avoid arguments about "who gets to be the Brad" is nice :D

Depending on how much stuff we get in general, it may be worth having some kind of favouriting system so that players can shortlist stuff they like and limit what shows up during character selection screens, but that's something to look at way down the track, I think.

Man, I love the work you guys have put into getting this to be as awesome as it seems to be right now. Seems like you could use a bit of the grass work from Steed or LPBB though, for the rough.