Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Also, maybe a horse instead of a cart ;)

Incredible job, guys! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks John! I can't wait till things cool off and I can catch up with where you guys are at with Steed! I'm looking forward to playing the prototype :D

Thanks John! I can't wait till things cool off and I can catch up with where you guys are at with Steed! I'm looking forward to playing the prototype :D

Maybe John would like to contribute their horse model from steed so people can implement his idea :)

I think that we should put that idea away and maybe add it in the future as a special unlockable cart. That would be cool.

Time for another update! Apologies for the delay with this one :D

invadererik has brought his changes in, and now local multiplayer in the current codebase is playable in a split screen fashion with multiple controllers! Fantastic work!

Networking stuff is close, but still a tiny bit away from being merged in. For this reason we've decided to hold off on releasing another build just yet, but we'll be excited to do so soon :)

SNdEIvuWUBo

xexano has been doing more animation testing

minimap.gif

Lokno has been working on minimap icon implementation (issue #85)

34e322b4-a072-11e3-89fc-bfc95408cfa2.jpg

GunnyMcfly has been working on some lobby UI concepts (issue #100)

b83749e2-a068-11e3-9922-2eae6f70411d.jpg

Taekon has continued working on "Bad Golf 3 2015" t-shirt textures (issue #137)

Mathore is working on some more course doodads (issue #5)

Osse has been working on fixing it up so that the ball power meter isn't collidable (issue #159

MaritalWheat, invadererik and XeXano have been discussing cart damage modeling (issue #154)

DMann3D has floated the idea of doing some additional player models based on Michael Firman's artwork (issue #155)

gsm has made an issue to discuss image formats (issue #156)

gsm has made an issue to highlight the need for appropriately licenced fonts (issue #170)

Pjaaryna has been working on some chiptune music (issue #10)

invadererik has been migrating AustinCarr's icons to a scalable mesh that can be used in Unity (issue #110)

lightsoda put together a double sided shader for the new icon meshes that invadererik worked on (issue #110)

bc5389 has put together a script to automatically respawn when the player falls out of the map (issue #162)

george has suggested that we use prefab pooling to recycle instances rather than using the garbage collection cycle (issue #163)

studiokraze has sourced some golf cart sounds (issue #12)

invadererik solved the looping and normalisation problems we were having with music tracks by encoding our music in OGG Vorbis rather than MP3 (issue 132)

olldray has been looking into the ball falling through the world bug in the test course map and may have found the cause (issue #22

invadererik has been working solidly on getting splitscreen gameplay working and has merged in his outstanding work (issue #62)

GoldenHeaven and Osse have been working hard on bringing the new networking changes up to a point where they can be brought into the main line (issue #20)

invadererik fixed a bug where main menu UI text was visible on the rotating course background (issue #168)

Another great day, people!

If anybody's done anything and it hasn't found its way into a status post, please get in touch. Chances are that this is because stuff hasn't found its way onto GitHub issues, so I haven't received notifications.

Hi people!

I did this sketch, more for fun than for it to be actually useful.

I think it could be interesting to capitalize on the idea of the "scruffy scottish" initial character, extending it to the rest of the game, in a "Scotch hooligans meet William Wallace" kind of way. Characters could have blue paintings in their faces, wear kilts and sporrans, and the golf course could have elements that make it resemble a highlands battlefield.

I also thought it could be fun to add a Scottish pattern to elements like the grass, both for flavor and even to help the players aim!

It's probably already too late for that, but what the hell :)

7k6i.jpg

Man, that scetch would make a rad splash screen. Or credits background, maybe.

Cool, although it's a bit coarse in that state. If it's eventually used for that purpose, it would probably be a good idea to polish it to a presentable level :)

Cool, although it's a bit coarse in that state. If it's eventually used for that purpose, it would probably be a good idea to polish it to a presentable level :)

We could add a little vignetting. Kerbal Space Program has a similar speed paint on their splash screen, which I believe was originally fanart.

frickin' awesome "sketch", I LOVE that vibe, subtle patterned grass/trees... very cool... reminds me a bit of calvin and hobbes... can you "jump" in your cart like that in the game, kinda like jumping on a skateboard? If not, that would be rad if we could!

love the skull and acid-bath looking puddle

Plaid everywhere? I friggin' LOVE it!

Also, I like how the players stick out of the roof of their cart :D

Abelo, I think I'm in love with you. Seriously, that's a rad sketch. Love the plaid.

They just couldn't help but put the *PUN, PUN, HORSEPUN!*

Hi people!

I think it could be interesting to capitalize on the idea of the "scruffy scottish" initial character, extending it to the rest of the game, in a "Scotch hooligans meet William Wallace" kind of way. Characters could have blue paintings in their faces, wear kilts and sporrans, and the golf course could have elements that make it resemble a highlands battlefield.

I also thought it could be fun to add a Scottish pattern to elements like the grass, both for flavor and even to help the players aim!

Your work has already inspired me to do silly things in shaders.

checkered.png

Hi people!

Awesome concept! I dig the plaid grass/foliage idea, too. I was a little late to start contributing art ideas, too, but it was mentioned to me that there is talk of continuing to work on this after AF is over, so maybe we could still move the look of the game towards this style at some point.

Anyway, sweet stuff!

That's the assumption I'm working under as well, Klamp. Get the art that's been established consistent and in the game early so people can play something coherent, then iterate/revise as necessary if/when we continue to develop the project.

That's the assumption I'm working under as well, Klamp. Get the art that's been established consistent and in the game early so people can play something coherent, then iterate/revise as necessary if/when we continue to develop the project.

Sounds good to me!

QUESTION:

It looks like for the moment you guys are basically just building the course for one hole, but Patrick's idea was to have the whole course be open so that you could play the holes in any order if you wanted.

Are you guys just building a single hole for prototype purposes? Or are you settling on an alternative structure to a completely open course?

...Patrick's idea was to have the whole course be open so that you could play the holes in any order if you wanted.

It would be great to have the whole course viewable [and driveable] at all times. I think The Golf Club (http://thegolfclubgame.com/) is doing this, too.

However, you shouldn't be able to play the holes out of order. Also, to encourage players to stay together, you should still get penalties if you hit your ball on to a neighboring fairway. No "going the long way around" to stay away from other players.

I haven't looked at the GitHub today (or really searched through it much at all), but I listened to this and am throwing something together. I might have something for you later today. :3

I put together some concept art for a Tim Schafer model in the style of Taekon's work, going to try my hand at modeling him. Rigging and animating is beyond me, though. (ignore how in the left image he is missing a ear ;P)

NdjLEli.png

P.S

Sounds kinda like music that would play during end credits

Your image is freakin' awesome. We cannot afford to not use it. Also, as you see, Lokno proved it's not too late.

We have an idea for multiple themes. This can certainly be one of them.

Here's my Tim model. Not the best, but I'm new to modeling and making human faces is pretty difficult compared to inamimate objects (which is what I've been doing in the past.)

Pg6Nuli.png

...Cardboard cutout Tim?

I tried to run a subdivision modifier on it to smooth it out, but then his nose got comepletely screwed up (it got turned into a bunch a seperate spheres)

I tried to run a subdivision modifier on it to smooth it out, but then his nose got comepletely screwed up (it got turned into a bunch a seperate spheres)

Not sure if you like to go to any of the 3d art related forums (I tend to frequent Polycount myself), but there are a lot of great resources out there for modeling faces. They're pretty tricky, so sometimes it helps to do a bit of research and have a plan of attack. Keep going, though, and post your progress! I'd love to check out how it develops.

...Cardboard cutout Tim?

I've replied to your post on github with some advice. I'd suggest following what klamp's suggested as well. Looking forward to seeing how you go :)

Guys, I need your help! I want to add a chant to a music track I've been working on for the game. The start of the track has a "We Will Rock You" style drum part, I'd like a chant of "BAD GOLF LIVES" to go with it but I don't have a crowd to hand! If you'd like to record yourself chanting it and send it to me I'll mix it into the track.

Use the start of the track for the timing:

https://soundcloud.com/kyma_uk/bad-golf-rough

And send me a link to your recording and I'll add it to the mix.

Cheers!