• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Tim Schafer Progress Update 01/1000000 :P

So I decided to start again due to me screwing it up so much I couldn't work with it. I started following Benjamin Morgan's YouTube tutorial on modeling a Low-Poly face in blender. Don't worry about realistic creepy lips, I'm going to make everything more cartoony(-ish?) when the

base of it is done.

That's all I'm doing for today xD (my brain hurts..)

sHLSurI.png

Okay great musicians, listen up!

I've added an implementation that plays one of the different title screen music scores each time it is displayed. Currently it's randomized, we may change this behavior in the future.

So whatever is your take, submit your music. For more details hop by the github project and do your thing!

I figured this is a plug because Dave really wants to be in the game!

DaveGolfClub.jpg

DaveGolfClub.jpg.511eb96dcf990b244450178

Cool, although it's a bit coarse in that state. If it's eventually used for that purpose, it would probably be a good idea to polish it to a presentable level :)

Your image is freakin' awesome. We cannot afford to not use it. Also, as you see, Lokno proved it's not too late.

We have an idea for multiple themes. This can certainly be one of them.

@Abelo -Yeh mate, really digging the art style that could grow out of your "sketch"! - love the skewed proportions/angles too, reminds me of DOTT and Sam & Max :D Would love to try UI to match!

It's update *and* build time!

BUILD

Description

Today's build is affectionately titled the "2014-03-01_0ef11b6" build! Be sure to read the instructions and known issues below :D

New in this build are @fatmandu's test course in online multiplayer, @bobsaysholol's completed networking overhaul, @RestingCoder's 'hotrod' cart in online multiplayer mode, @thegsm's new music system, @JenniBee's music, @elneilios' music, @GitMusic's audio handling system, @soon2bdead's cart particle effects in local multiplayer mode, @ErikBehar's local split screen mode, @bc5389's automatic fall out respawn script in online multiplayer mode, @lightsoda's new main menu work, @Ronnrein's click and drag camera rotation, and much more!

Music tracks are chosen at random when the main menu is loaded (there are currently four tracks).

Downloads

* Linux

* Mac

* Windows

Instructions

Use WASD and arrow keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer.

In online multiplayer mode, press T to chat, and G to make the player model appear next to the ball.

Multiplayer servers now have start gating. Players must join a match before the host clicks "Start". Additional players can not join afterward. Prior to the match starting, players can select their cart model from the previous "buggy" model, and the new "hotrod" cart model. Players can not join a game after the host has clicked the start button.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use the mouse to aim and click to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart.

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* Mac builds require the bundled Assets folder to be in the same folder as the .app for local multiplayer to work (this will be fixed in the next build)

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move

* An "Assets/scenes" warning will be visible

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* The Chat log window will not scroll to the end of wrapped lines

* Controller input does not work in multiplayer mode

* Text chat does not work in the multiplayer pre-match character selection screen (or lobby if you want to call it that)

* Music is loud

Update

For anybody who missed it, I had the enormous pleasure of appearing on the Amnesia Fortnight live stream with Greg, Patrick and Risse to talk about the lovely work that everybody has been doing. Awesome work, people!

checkered.png

Lokno has been working on a "tartan" shader for fun

661c0282-a0e6-11e3-817d-adc1de1ce760.jpg

Lightsoda has been working on a main menu concept which meshes with GunnyMcfly's lobby concepts (issue #16)

uxM8MIiLuDI

Lokno and AfroSpartan have been working on pin/flag stuff (issue #179)

JtXiaEf.png

JohnLivingston has been working on a Pendleton Ward head design as seen earlier in the thread (issues #1)

37c32754-a0ea-11e3-88a1-1a8c01a57974.png

Xexano has done some concept art for two new heads (Greg and Risse) (issues #1)

2c8c9812-a11b-11e3-8993-acacb246de3e.JPG

DMann3D has been working on an Anna head (issues #1)

NdjLEli.png

Kor has done some Tim head concept art and has been working on a model (issues #1)

c385c946-a12f-11e3-952a-851f48d99846.jpg

GunnyMcfly has found a possible new font for us to use (issue #170)

1nE5I-fJBBA

lightsoda documented a rocking bug

olldray has been continuing to look into the ball falling through terrain issue (issue #22)

elneilios is working on some music and is looking for community people to chant "Bad Golf Lives" (post)

Goldenheaven has been working on getting extra game features working in online multiplayer mode (issue #20)

bobsayshilol has merged in his networking stuff and we now have online play working with fatmandu's test course (issue #20)

Pjaaryna has put together a new music track (issue #10)

invadererik has been helping out with pull requests, testing and looking after asset sources

Osse and lightsoda assisted with ironing out some last minute minor bugs before releasing today's build

Most awesome and fantastic work today, everybody! I'd also like to add a personal thanks to everybody who offered words of support for the interview <3

Also on the coverage front, I did an interview with Leviathyn that was published this morning as well!

Enjoy the build! :D

Thought I'd take a break from trying to compose some in-game music for BGCE to bust out some quick little win/loss stabs. They're finals, but if people think they need more polish I can go back and work on them some more. Posted them up in issue #11. :)

I enjoy making blendshapes when I remember how to make blendshapes. Then I enjoy doing silly voices that don't fit the character AT ALL. Probably because I am now a zombie.

Why do my spotty embedding skills hate me?!

I enjoy making blendshapes when I remember how to make blendshapes. Then I enjoy doing silly voices that don't fit the character AT ALL. Probably because I am now a zombie.

QmLiRMkwyX8

Why do my spotty embedding skills hate me?!

Awesome, David! :D

For embedding, I believe you have to remove everything but the video code from the url.

Superb work everyone! Unfortunately uni has started again for me and it will certainly stalls my contribution. But looking at the current roster, we're definitely not short on hard-working peeps! Looking forward to the end-of-AF build :D!

@DavidMann3D: I don't know what you're talking about, that voice was accurate.

It's update time once again, and this time we have another build with some new tweaks!

BUILD

Description

Today's build, titled 2014_03_02-b47f782, features @osse101's online player labels, @lightsoda's UI skinning, @invadererik's volume control functionality, @osse101's online multiplayer lobby status indicators and connected player list, @bobsayshilol's online multiplayer chat scrolling fixes, @bobsayshilol's online multiplayer camera fixes, @lightsoda's loading screen image functionality and more!

Downloads

* Linux

* Mac OS

* Windows

Instructions

Use WASD, arrow keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer. Click and drag with the mouse to rotate the camera whilst driving.

The online multiplayer server list now shows servers as being in "Lobby" or "Game started" states. Players can only join games in the "Lobby" state. Once the host has clicked "Start", no further players will be able to join.

Online multiplayer players can select cart and character face during the "Lobby" phase.

In online multiplayer mode, press T to chat, and G to make the player model appear next to the ball.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use the mouse to aim and click to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart.

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move

* The ball in local multiplayer will often fall through the bottom of the map

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* Golf mode doesn't allow players to swing at the ball in online multiplayer

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* Debug console logs errors when clients connect and disconnect

* Ball indicators are visible in online multiplayer after pressing G

* Local multiplayer games will sometimes not show the right number of players if keyboard control is reassigned to a different player

* Menu music continues to play during online multiplayer games rather than switching to in-game music

UPDATE

OH6gG4KCQU4

lightsoda new menu stuff and has added a loading screen (issue #24)

df46a3da-a08f-11e3-9be1-dc9a378a0d8d.jpg

Michael Firman has given us permission to use his Patrick AF2014 artwork as a loading background

OdfiYyU.png

JohnLivingston has been working some more on a Pendleton head (issue #1)

QmLiRMkwyX8

DMann3D has been working on animating an Anna face (issue #1)

Osse has added player names to online multiplayer, a player name list during the lobby phase, and game state indicators in the server list (issue 20)

lightsoda has added in the new font found by GunnyMcfly (issue #170)

Osse has been working on restoring cart horn functionality (issue 20)

gsm has fixed a bug where in-game music tracks were not being played correctly (issue #185)

Xexano been working on some early head changing functionality (issue #192)

Lokno has been working on more minimap stuff (issue #85)

invadererik is looking into re-implementing volume control to the main menu (issue #193)

bobsayshilol has fixed the chat scrolling bug and has been working on other networking fixes (issue 20)

The Mad Pirate has been working on menus for debug functionality (issue #106)

OrbitalBliss has recorded a whole stack of non-verbal player vocalisations (issue #15)

Goldenheaven has been working on documentation for config.xml behaviour (would include a URL, but the DF forums'URL parser doesn't like parentheses in URLs )

invadererik has implemented saving of config.xml to persistentDataPath (issue #28)

It's great to have a new build two days in a row. Thanks to everybody for their help and discussion day (particularly lightsoda, invadererik and Osse for helping with pre-build testing!)

We got 8 players causing chaos on a test server today.

Somehow the game showing its seams is really fun to see. For example the minimap icons literally being red cylinders that float above the carts:

jO6N3bp.png

Carts ramming each other can't be made justice through screenshots, so instead I took a shot of Brad having time of his life golfing:

5NcTgOU.png

I've been swamped with stuff the past few days so I haven't kept up too well, but I just pulled the latest version - it looks amazing guys! Playing in the nice course level is awesome. I'm hoping I have a chance later tonight or tomorrow morning (my time) to fix up a few of my outstanding issues.

Solid work!

I hope this makes it out on the Amnesia Fortnight bundle.

i would love to see some tweaking with the car physics. if there was more friction and faster acceleration/deceleration to resemble a real golf cart. also less floaty gravity? play with some numbers and fine tune it ! good luck guys :)

i would love to see some tweaking with the car physics. if there was more friction and faster acceleration/deceleration to resemble a real golf cart. also less floaty gravity? play with some numbers and fine tune it ! good luck guys :)

Yup, this is all on the cards (and anybody is welcome to play around with them and offer suggestions), though since it's a tuning aspect, we've not been focusing on it till the golf mechanics are also a bit more solid so that they can both be tuned up in context.

Yup, this is all on the cards (and anybody is welcome to play around with them and offer suggestions), though since it's a tuning aspect, we've not been focusing on it till the golf mechanics are also a bit more solid so that they can both be tuned up in context.

Trello cards?

Trello cards?

github issues

We are not doing Kanban, I'm pretty confident that it's not needed for this project.

(edited text for clarity)

Wow, there really are quite a number of people getting involved. That's so awesome.

And, Cheeseness, you're doing such a great job keeping everything from flying apart.

Keep up the good work. I'm excited to see where it's at when the AF protos are also 'finished'.

Trello cards?

Ha ha, you know, I typed "cards", saw that I'd made a mistake and then corrected it by typing "cards" again >_<

Surprising to see how far a community project has come, it's really starting to look great though! i was pleasantly surprised! keep up the good work :)

It's time for another update. It's been a quiet Monday/Sunday, though there's still been some exciting progress made!

first_win.png

invadererik has been working on inital ball-hole detection (issue #208)

ad00eda0-a296-11e3-9806-1e23a8754593.JPG

DMann3D has been working on a Dave head (issue #1)

e04816a8-a2cc-11e3-8def-56f26ed9c0a3.jpg

GunnyMcfly has done a server browser UI concept (issue #1)

invadererik has fixed a bug with the number of local players being in correct if the player assigned to keyboard controls has changed (issue #208)

invadererik has implemented in-game colour assignment for local multiplayer (issue #208)

invadererik has also written a wiki page documenting some of the local multiplayer implementation he's done

lokno has been continuing to work on mini-map stuff (issue #85)

cachemonet has been working on chat bubble implementation and tweaking ball indicators (issue #202)

Osse has been working on getting ball synchronisation happening in online multiplayer mode (issue #20)

Rick has been working on some more in-game music (issue #10)

No new build today, but we'll try top get something up soon! :)