• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Still lurking this thread every day. Go team go!

Finally managed to get on the forum :D Progress is looking great, not sure what i can help out with except maybe play testing, looking forward to seeing what can be done by the DF community :D

Nice work keeping these updates coming @cheeseness - heaps of work you're putting in to keep this on track mate!

Hey! Any use for a voice actor in this delicious mess? I'll be able to swing by the IRC a little later, but I figure I would post just to get something out there in the mean time.

Hey! Any use for a voice actor in this delicious mess? I'll be able to swing by the IRC a little later, but I figure I would post just to get something out there in the mean time.

We're still a way away from getting any kind of voice into the game (and we haven't yet addressed what kind of role voice should have beyond non-verbal vocalisations). It's hard to know what will be useful in the long run at this point, but you're definitely welcome to record something if you're really keen though (others have).

Nice work keeping these updates coming @cheeseness - heaps of work you're putting in to keep this on track mate!

Cheers! :D

We're still a way away from getting any kind of voice into the game (and we haven't yet addressed what kind of role voice should have beyond non-verbal vocalisations). It's hard to know what will be useful in the long run at this point, but you're definitely welcome to record something if you're really keen though (others have).

Alright awesome! I did some quick announcer stuff just to see if it fits the theme, let me know what you think.

Finished texturing Dave G's head, with a bit of feedback from Dave G himself!

DaveWIP03.JPG

Alright awesome! I did some quick announcer stuff just to see if it fits the theme, let me know what you think.

Awesome stuff man, are you a professional voice actor? I swear you were as good as the narrator from The Cave.

I just wanted to ask what kind of setup you used/proximity to the mic and whether you used a pop-filter.

I'm an amateur sound 'guy' and I just wanted to help with this awesome project to make it more awesome.

PS: I stalk this thread like a madman - I refresh every 40 minutes.

DMann, that Dave head is awesome :D

This is some really good stuff. As I said, we don't have any current idea how if/how commentator type voiceovers might fit into the game, but if you can chop these up into individual 44.1KHz WAVs and link to them in a comment on issue #216, then we can get them up into our asset sources repository (alternatively if you're familiar enough with GitHub, you're welcome to throw a pull request at the asset resources repo).

We're at the end of AF. There's a new build coming soon! :D

Awesome stuff man, are you a professional voice actor? I swear you were as good as the narrator from The Cave.

I just wanted to ask what kind of setup you used/proximity to the mic and whether you used a pop-filter.

I'm an amateur sound 'guy' and I just wanted to help with this awesome project to make it more awesome.

PS: I stalk this thread like a madman - I refresh every 40 minutes.

Hah! Oh goodness I'm honored, I am a profession voice actor, though only recently for games. My current setup does include a pop-filter, though I only really need it for 'louder' roles, I've got an Audio Technica AT2020, on a shock-mount multi-joint arm swivel-thingy (Professional term) and into a mini Behringer mixer. :D

This is some really good stuff. As I said, we don't have any current idea how if/how commentator type voiceovers might fit into the game, but if you can chop these up into individual 44.1KHz WAVs and link to them in a comment on issue #216, then we can get them up into our asset sources repository (alternatively if you're familiar enough with GitHub, you're welcome to throw a pull request at the asset resources repo).

We're at the end of AF. There's a new build coming soon! :D

Alright! I'm chopping them up now, if there are any lines you'd like just lemme know, I'm not terribly well versed in GitHub, but I will throw a little audio package together, and hopefully you guys can use that. If the VA stuff doesn't end up panning out that's no problem, I just like helping! :D

Finally got a Tim model that looks good. My concept art was just too square. Now for the hardest part....the hair :o

Suggestions on how to go about it are (extremely) welcome!

IRTtGQa.png

Alright! I'm chopping them up now, if there are any lines you'd like just lemme know, I'm not terribly well versed in GitHub, but I will throw a little audio package together, and hopefully you guys can use that. If the VA stuff doesn't end up panning out that's no problem, I just like helping! :D

Yay! This sort of attitude makes me super happy that we're doing this. It's been hugely inspiring to see so many people pitching in :D

Finally got a Tim model that looks good. My concept art was just too square. Now for the hardest part....the hair :o

Suggestions on how to go about it are (extremely) welcome!

That's looking great! There are lots of different ways you can go about doing this, but I'd suggest to start with, maybe duplicating and extruding the top part of the head might give you a good base to start shaping into hair (for that, I'd start by moving vertices around to better match Tim's hair shape rather than his head shape, and then extrude some curls down where appropriate). Any time you feel like it's getting too complicated, take a step back and ask yourself if you're going for too much realism - that's an easy pitfall to get caught up in.

An update and a build today!

In this build, we've got golf mechanics in both offline and online modes, and a super early implementation of end-to-end gameplay in offline mode, with the first player to hit the base of the pin (flag) being declared the winner! Exciting!

It's also worth noting that unless something significant enough to warrant another build happens within the next few hours, this should be our end-of-Amnesia-Fortnight build! We're still at the very beginning of this project though - we've only just implemented a temporary win condition, all of our mechanics are unpolished, and we still have lots of asset contributions and other features to implement.

I need to take a few days off for a convention I'm trading at, but I'll try to stay on top of happenings and post a bumper update when I get back. Thanks to all the contributors who've been involved so far, and thanks to Patrick and the rest of Double Fine for their encouragement. It's been a wonderful project to share with you all, and I look forward to the places that Bad Golf: Communtiy Edition will go as we begin to look at refactoring and polishing up this very impressive proof-of-concept!

BUILD

Description

Today's build, known as 2014_03_04-1b4f8b7 is here, featuring @osse101's implementation of online multiplayer golf mechanics, @bobsayshilol's network server/client enhancements, @bobsayshilol's spectator implementation, @MaritalWheat's in-game UI fixes, @ErikBehar's local multiplayer texture colour work, @Lokno's minimap icon work, @MaritalWheat's chat bubble implementation, @osse101's floating player name implementation, and more!

Downloads

* Linux

* Mac OS

* Windows

Instructions

Use WASD, cursor keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer. Click and drag with the mouse to rotate the camera whilst driving. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use A and D or the left and right cursor keys to aim, W and S or the up and down cursor keys to adjust swing power, and space to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart. F12 will take screenshots that will be stored according to Unity's Application.persistentDataPath variable.

The online multiplayer server list now shows servers as being in "Lobby" or "Game started" states. During the "Lobby" phase, players can select cart models and character faces. Players can only join games in the "Lobby" state. Players who join after the host has clicked "Start", will be assigned a free floating spectator camera.

In online multiplayer mode, press T to chat. The placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. The blue bouncing ball icon represents the player's ball whilst the stationary red ones represent opponents' balls.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the ball will glow red when you are close enough to hit the ball. Be the first player to hit your ball into the base of the pin (flag) to "win".

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move

* The ball may fall through the bottom of the map

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* Ball movement in online multiplayer is not interpolated/smoothed

* Mouse control for golf mode does not work

* Mini map icons are very large

* Carts can get stuck easily on trees and steep terrain

* Online multiplayer mode is missing turf particle effects

* Carts may continue to move whilst in golf mode

* Player models may appear to be floating or clip through the ground on steep terrain

* Cart horns don't work :(

UPDATE

7hRUM.jpg

fatmandu is working on the test course some more (issue #4)

bobsayshilol has fixed error messages occurring when a player leaves a game and has worked (issue #20)

6d20bce6-a332-11e3-9ad5-ee110dd3228d.png

fireydrake has been wroking on a Raz head (issue #1)

b2985014-a34a-11e3-8750-0da38e5035e4.jpg

Gunny McFly has been working on more UI concepts

c44261fc-a367-11e3-8460-4d0b613ad121.JPG

DMann3D has been working on a Dave Gardner head (issue #1)

The Mad Pirate has been working some more on a debug console (issue #106)

MaritalWheat has been made in-world ball indicators invisible in golf mode (issue #25)

Lokno has been working on camera jitter (issue #36

Zenuel has done some commentator voice over clips that we may use in the future (issue #216)

invadererik has added temporary win conditions and automatic map fallout respawning to local multiplayer

We've managed to get invadererik an invite to the Double Fine offices to represent the community during "play day". He's due to arrive at around midday local time. We're not sure at this stage whether he'll be appearing on a stream, but keep an eye out!

Awesome stuff! :D

Oh man final AF build!

Props to you Cheeseness, and to everybody involved, for all this awesome work. It's been a super fun project, and I've learned a fair bit from it too! I'm excited and curious to see where it goes from here!

Tim...he's alive!!

br0EvG1.png

I posted .blend and .fbx files on the GitHub page.

I may smooth out the nose and round the corners of the mouth in the future, but for now I'm happy with it.

7FU4AK4.jpg

Today is a day for AF victory - thanks to everyone's fine efforts, invadererik (that's him on the right above) was able to pop by the Double Fine offices and play a few full rounds of local multiplayer Bad Golf, as well as show off the almost there networking!

What an effort - more than 20 contributors on the git repo alone, which doesn't even account for those that separately gave ideas, helped test, and gave assets - and from all over the world too!

Now to see where it goes from here :D

A massive thank you for everyone that has contributed to the project, talked about it or looked at it. When thís thread went up, I thought that during AF we'd get some drivable gray blocks in a gray box world and maybe a few gray balls. I also hoped that some DF people would check it out.

Instead we got an amazing prototype game with beautiful models, network multiplayer and all the important mechanics working in a fun way. So many Double Fine people have cheered us on that I've lost count. We generated a truly mind-blowing amount of articles in the gaming media (I ran out of characters in the first post!). During that week, I could say "Our game project was covered by Rock, Paper, Shotgun". Also, Tim played a game I helped make. That is crazy.

So thank you again everyone. This really has been one the greatest things I've been a part of.

And it will keep getting better.

Hah! Oh goodness I'm honored, I am a profession voice actor, though only recently for games. My current setup does include a pop-filter, though I only really need it for 'louder' roles, I've got an Audio Technica AT2020, on a shock-mount multi-joint arm swivel-thingy (Professional term) and into a mini Behringer mixer. :D

I'm surprised how similar our setups are, I have the exact same without the desk mount!

The easiest way to get the most out of it, and to remove some of your oral sounds (swallowing/breathing), would be to stand a little further away from the mic and boost the gain to match output level of the first recording.

I smoothed out the tim model a bit more, pretty happy with it considering this is my first completed human head model :) (thank you YouTube tutorials!)

DmFdDnG.png

Oh, also. I'm putting together a Twitter list. I'm certain there are many people that I'm missing. Anybody who has contributed stuff, give me a nudge on Twitter and I'll add you :)

Top work everyone, really blown away at how much got done - especially from the programming side of things! And once again big ups to Cheeseness for manning the rudder :D

Congrats, guys.

This looked really impressive today!

The fact, that total strangers, with an uncertain amount of skills and time at their hands, were able to pull this off and have it playable in such a way, was really amazing to see.

I was tempted to throw my hat in, but after the initial rush (I was in the chat too and excited, when the idea came up), I was afraid, any "community project" would take away the spotlight from DF and AF during these two weeks and also felt a bit bad to 'steal' Patrick's idea.

I was wrong.

Not only did DF get a lot of media attention, but you guys gave the media yet another story to write about.

Again, kudos, to everyone involved.

Still going!

Here's Dave G animated. I might revisit the Happy pose, as it's not as extreme/awesome as the Angry pose.

pQ1dHA5YJfQ

That angry pose is awesome, David :D But the happy one looks fine too, that big grin :)

And Kor, Tim is really shaping up, great work!

I'd like to echo Lasd's statement, it's been an incredible experience so far to be a small part of this, seeing the crazy amount of code, art, and music being created each day by everyone; it's my first community/open-source project and I've already learned a lot along the way. I'm looking forward to the progress from here on, hopefully I'll have some time to spare to continue working on some things, even without the inspiring parallel watch-along on the twitch stream. The amount of positive feedback and encouragement from everyone at DF (beginning with Patrick!) and from the community has been overwhelming :)

Many thanks again to Cheese for holding this all together and keeping everyone heading roughly in the same direction, while encouraging all kinds of contributions from everyone. And it was great to see Erik on location and representing our game for the conclusion of AF.