• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Another progress update!

Today was a special day! invadererik was invited to visit Double Fine HQ and play Bad Golf: Community Edition with Greg, Amarisse and Dave G during the Amnesia Fortnight livestream as a part of Double Fine's "play day" activities. Erik represented us well and was super cool and collected. They played through a couple of local matches and had started on some online play before the stream dropped out. The archive can be viewed here!

Whilst there wasn't a lot of direct activity today, a number of people did drop into the IRC channel and say they'd be working on stuff next week! We'll let our end-of-AF build settle for a few days and give people time to rest/smooth out some rough edges. In the meantime, it'd be lovely to see some thoughts, feedback and screenshot from people playing our most recent build (keeping in mind that the game is still an early work-in-progress).

pQ1dHA5YJfQ

Dmann3D has been working on animating his Dave G head (issue #1)

c8f3e566-a404-11e3-86cf-66858435855c.png

fierydrake has been working on their Raz head model (issue #1)

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f446d4664446e472e706e67

Kor has been working on a revised Tim head (issue #1)

bobsayshilol has been working on networking updates and has resolved several issues (issue #20)

Lokno has added opponent icons the the online multiplayer minimap (issue #85)

tinykidtoo has been prototyping some "drift" functionality (issue #141)

I've been putting together a Twitter list of Bad Golf: Community Edition contributors as well. If anybody thinks they should be on there, shoot me a Tweet!

As mentioned earlier, I will be fairly absent until next week, but bobsayshilol, gsm and invadererik have the ability to review and merge pull requests. To make their lives easier if they do take a look at merging anything, please ensure that your contributions are tested and in sync with the upstream master.

It's been lovely to see some of the positive comments about their experiences with the project that people have been sharing. This is in many ways, this project has been atypical (even for a F/OSS one), and this has been a wonderful proof-of-concept for a relaxed, open contribution development model. Great work, everybody! It's been a huge pleasure to be a part of it so far :D

it was an absolutely amazing experience seeing this unfold. writing some metal (even if it wasn't that good or detailed!) and having it play inside a game was an unreal feeling. Definitely made me immediately want to change parts of the song to better fit the game's feel. So cool!

Thanks everyone who was able to do SO MUCH more than I could have ever done even if spending a year learning how. You are all amazing and great because of what you uniquely all brought to the table but also for simply standing up and saying you were willing to help. Even cooler was how a lot of people working on this were learning as they went! This project is not only an example of what the community can make but also what happens when anyone regardless of previous experience is encouraged to take a shot and see what they can contribute! :D

Lee is right you are all AWESOME! :D

A massive thank you for everyone that has contributed to the project, talked about it or looked at it. When thís thread went up, I thought that during AF we'd get some drivable gray blocks in a gray box world and maybe a few gray balls. I also hoped that some DF people would check it out.

Instead we got an amazing prototype game with beautiful models, network multiplayer and all the important mechanics working in a fun way. So many Double Fine people have cheered us on that I've lost count. We generated a truly mind-blowing amount of articles in the gaming media (I ran out of characters in the first post!). During that week, I could say "Our game project was covered by Rock, Paper, Shotgun". Also, Tim played a game I helped make. That is crazy.

So thank you again everyone. This really has been one the greatest things I've been a part of.

And it will keep getting better.

This is a great post.

This has been a great ride so far, I hope that just because our internal AF is over, the Community Edition team won't lose too much steam and will continue to work on the game. I'll support this until it's dead-- long live Bad Golf!

This has been a great ride so far, I hope that just because our internal AF is over, the Community Edition team won't lose too much steam and will continue to work on the game. I'll support this until it's dead-- long live Bad Golf!

On the contrary! I only had a little bit of time to contribute near the end of AF, but I should now have more time to make art for this from here on out, so I'm game to keep working on this if others are.

And thanks for the inspiration, Patrick. I agree with what others have said - this has been cool to be a part of, and I hope to be able to contribute more in the near future.

What I find so cool about this whole experience is that not only do we have so many people pitching in from so many different places with so many different skill-sets, and (honestly) so many different skill-levels... but, it's really awesome when you consider we're all strangers. Almost everybody involved here has never so much as set eyes on one another. And yet we can come together to make something, hopefully something good, maybe something great.

I'm pretty excited to watch this develop, and will be contributing what I can when I can.

Female base body (invadererik) with Anna Head (DMann3D) comparison to original Patrick base model

female_body_wip.jpg

Female body is a bit smaller in general.

Finally got my internet back in the house. Apologies for the absence peeps! Net problems and uni starting again have been keeping me really really busy (and I won't be active anytime soon).

Just finished watching AF's Bad Golf feature with invadererik! Was SUPER SWEET (thanks for the shout-out)! Everything's looking fantastic so far. So much gratitude for all of you and for the DF folks who have been nothing but supportive. It's been real pleasant being a part of this, and I hope my stuff helped! Currently learning Maya for uni so hopefully I can start directly contributing to the project instead of just making concept art soon!

All looking awesome...

I still await the day there's an amazing single player version though.

That's just who I am! Forums for social.... games to get away from the social!

Female base body (invadererik) with Anna Head (DMann3D) comparison to original Patrick base model

female_body_wip.jpg

Female body is a bit smaller in general.

:D YES!!!

I totally just snuck this in here:

https://github.com/Double-Fine-Game-Club/bad-golf-community-edition/releases/tag/1b4f8b7

if you have an android phone or tablet, you can play the local multi section using the following

Controls:

Your device should be in landscape (sideways) tilted about 45 degrees for neutral position

tilt device forward to speed up, tilt it backwards to brake and slow down

tilt device left and right to steer in those directions

press anywhere on screen to enter golf mode within range ( when the golf ball changes to red color)

tilt device left and right to aim in golf mode

tilt device forward and back to decrease / increase power in golf mode

press anywhere on screen to shoot the ball

pressing the back key on your phone will bring up the "pause" menu where you can quit back to main menu and quit the app.

Note: you probably need a fancy phone/tablet, I only tried it on my Nexus 5

[del]ooops I goofed it, this is supposed to be inside the Bad Golf Community Edition thread, sorry ! If An admin can move it that would be great.[/del] Thank you ! ; )

Are you guys keeping working on this or decided to make it also a 2 week project?

Are you guys keeping working on this or decided to make it also a 2 week project?

No we're going to continue working on this till we're happy with it! :)

I'd like to help, but I can't texture or code, and there's not really a need for modeling at the moment as far as I know.

Hey guys, decided to play around with some more ideas for the character/cart select screen for local multiplayer:

fMaD3HO.jpg

I set the set the image size at 1920x1200 (click here if you want to see it at that size), which is usually on the higher end of screen resolution options, but the aspect ratio is pretty standard. I think it works pretty well at smaller sizes too, though (as demonstrated above). Something I added to this mockup is the plank of wood that's serving as a focus indicator (telling you what option you are currently focused on). As you move up and down between the options, the plank of wood would "hilight" whatever option you are currently making changes to.

I'm going to post this on the Git repo as well, but it seems as though I've forgotten my password. So... I'll need to, you know... get that recovered and stuff. :\

Lemme know what you guys think!

That looks pretty good.

There will need to be a spot for choosing Voice as well; Unless the Voice is tied to the Head, which I think is not the plan right now. The Vocalizations I made are named after the DF Folks, but like Cheese said should probably be selectable like the Voices in worms.

That looks pretty good.

There will need to be a spot for choosing Voice as well; Unless the Voice is tied to the Head, which I think is not the plan right now. The Vocalizations I made are named after the DF Folks, but like Cheese said should probably be selectable like the Voices in worms.

Oh, sweet! I didn't know we had voices to choose from. I'll include that in the next mockup.

Oh, also forgot to ask this before.... What are we using to implement UI art assets? Scaleform? NGUI? Something else?

Oh, also forgot to ask this before.... What are we using to implement UI art assets? Scaleform? NGUI? Something else?

There are actually two implementations/approaches we currently have in, one is using Unitys built in OnGUI with some skinning. The other which happens to be the one we ended up using a bit more for the menu's is just "flying" unity objects ( its similar to NGUI just a lot simpler and using Unity Sprites mainly instead of the NGUI Atlas )

It's update time again (apologies for the delay)!

b879754a-a993-11e3-9d1b-a86513ce4de5.png

fierydrake has been working further on a Raz head model (issue #1)

eb2840bc-a988-11e3-9d8b-ea5d160895da.jpg

klamp has been working on some more lobby UI concepts (issue #100)

female_body_wip.jpg

invadererik has been working on a female character model body (issue #1

MaritalWheat has been tweaking up the power bar and ball in-world indicator UI elements (issue #25)

XeXano has been working on head changing functionality (issue #192)

invadererik has added some touch controls to local multiplayer issue #219)

Osse has been working on ball->hole detection for online multiplayer (issue #135)

Osse has also been working on swing animations in online multiplayer (issue #3)

Osse has also been working on adding the horn (issue #224)

Osse has also been working on in-game music changing functionality (issue #10)

Orbital bliss has recorded some more non-verbal player vocalisations (issue #15)

It's been great to come back and see that people are still continuing to work on the project! I'd like to do an updated build soon (maybe tomorrow) with horns and swing animations in.

invadererik has floated the idea of organising an IRC meetup to get everybody up to speed on where things are at and communally bash out where we're heading from here. I'm putting forward Saturday the 22nd at around 10:30pm UTC (after the Double Fine Game Club finishes - we're doing Broken Age and should have Tim with us that session, so I suspect that most people who'd be interested in Bad Golf will be preoccupied with that until it finishes).

That's early afternoon in the Americas, late-but-not-too-late in the evening in Europe/most of Africa and early-but-not-too-early in the morning for Asia/Oceania. Sadly, it's awkward for the Middle East and most of Russia, but I think that gives us the best global coverage time slot wise.

How does that work for everybody else?

It's update time again (apologies for the delay)!

invadererik has floated the idea of organising an IRC meetup to get everybody up to speed on where things are at and communally bash out where we're heading from here. I'm putting forward Saturday the 22nd at around 10:30pm UTC (after the Double Fine Game Club finishes - we're doing Broken Age and should have Tim with us that session, so I suspect that most people who'd be interested in Bad Golf will be preoccupied with that until it finishes).

That's early afternoon in the Americas, late-but-not-too-late in the evening in Europe/most of Africa and early-but-not-too-early in the morning for Asia/Oceania. Sadly, it's awkward for the Middle East and most of Russia, but I think that gives us the best global coverage time slot wise.

How does that work for everybody else?

That...actually might work for me - as of now, I'll plan on being there!

Also, just a thought I've been having, and this could be something we discuss in the meeting as well - it might be nice to have a list (maybe just part of the wiki?) of active contributors and what they are working on at a given time (that they can keep updated themselves). Since it's hard to always be on the IRC and the issue list can get pretty packed with discussion, it would be nice to quickly see what's being worked on, and who is working on it to contact if you have things to hash out about a certain topic!

Hey keen to keep helping out in some capacity but maybe not for a couple weeks at least as we are past our baby D-day now so he could come at any time!

That link leads you to a time comparison for this Saturday (the 15th), but in that message you say Saturday the 22nd... Which one is it?

That...actually might work for me - as of now, I'll plan on being there!

Woo! :D

Also, just a thought I've been having, and this could be something we discuss in the meeting as well - it might be nice to have a list (maybe just part of the wiki?) of active contributors and what they are working on at a given time (that they can keep updated themselves). Since it's hard to always be on the IRC and the issue list can get pretty packed with discussion, it would be nice to quickly see what's being worked on, and who is working on it to contact if you have things to hash out about a certain topic!

Issues have a list down the right hand side of every person participating in the conversation if you hadn't spotted. I'd really rather keep status updates and current progress there so that it can be a point of discussion where it's relevant (I worry that if people are updating a wiki page with what they're working on, that's not going to be visible to people who go hunting through the issue list for something to work on). I desperately need to find time to update the contributor roster page on the wiki.

At any rate, definitely something we can raise and chat about!

Hey keen to keep helping out in some capacity but maybe not for a couple weeks at least as we are past our baby D-day now so he could come at any time!

Awesome! Best wishes to you and your family! (is this our first "production baby"?)

That link leads you to a time comparison for this Saturday (the 15th), but in that message you say Saturday the 22nd... Which one is it?

Whoops. That's the 22nd. I've updated the link in my post (would be good if you could remove the quoted link in your post so that nobody can end up at the wrong one).

Awesome! Best wishes to you and your family! (is this our first "production baby"?)

Cheers mate - hmm dunno, maybe!