• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Happy to see this project is still running. Was a little worried interest would sputter out after AF was over. Keep going!

*lurk*

It's build time again! :D

In this build, online multiplayer has gotten temporary win conditions, swing animations and the return of horn sounds. Offline multiplayer has experimental touch controls (which may require building from source for a touch device). This is also our first build since Amnesia Fortnight and contains some under the hood refactoring that isn't likely to be too visible at this point.

BUILD

Description

Today's build, titled 2014_03_13-d6cb1f8, features @osse101's online multiplayer swing animation implementation, @osse101's online multiplayer "win" implementation, @MaritalWheat's power meter fixes, @MaritalWheat's oiffline multiplayer ball marker implementation, @Lokno's camera movement tweaks, @Lokno's minimap work, @bobsayshilol's networking fixes, @bobsayshilol's manual respawn tweak, @ErikBehar's experimental touch controls, and more!

Downloads

* Linux

* Mac OS

* Windows

Instructions

Use WASD, cursor keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer. Click and drag with the mouse to rotate the camera whilst driving. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use A and D or the left and right cursor keys to aim, W and S or the up and down cursor keys to adjust swing power, and space to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart. F12 will take screenshots that will be stored according to Unity's Application.persistentDataPath variable.

Be the first player to hit your ball into the base of the pin (flag) to "win".

The online multiplayer server list now shows servers as being in "Lobby" or "Game started" states. During the "Lobby" phase, players can select cart models and character faces. Players can only join games in the "Lobby" state. Players who join after the host has clicked "Start", will be assigned a free floating spectator camera.

In online multiplayer mode, press T to chat. The placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. The blue bouncing ball icon represents the player's ball whilst the stationary red ones represent opponents' balls. If the cart becomes stuck, press R to manually respawn.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the ball will glow red when you are close enough to hit the ball.

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move

* The ball may fall through the bottom of the map

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* "Win" notifications are not final

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* Ball movement in online multiplayer is not interpolated/smoothed

* Mouse control for golf mode does not work

* Online multiplayer mode is missing turf particle effects

* Carts may continue to move whilst in golf mode

* Player models may appear to be floating or clip through the ground on steep terrain

* Client players may not see the host's swing pose/animation

* Spectators will not see swing pose/animations or hear horns

UPDATE

5af6f712-a9e3-11e3-98e3-4ec76b6e152b.png

fierydrake has been working on texturing the Raz head

Osse has removed a bunch of compiler warnings (issue #227)

Osse has also added the horn sound back in to online multiplayer (issue #194)

Osse has also finished adding swing animations to online multiplayer (issue #3)

MaritalWheat has added ball markers to local multiplayer (issue #25)

invadererik has been helping with testing pull requests

As discussed earlier in the thread, we're looking towards having an IRC gathering on the 22nd at around 22:30 UTC (depending on what time the Double Fine Game Club's second session of Broken Age finishes) to catch up and plan out development moving forward. Hope to see you there!

I also want to give a big thanks to the contributors who've been active since AF finished. In particular, Osse, MaritalWheat, Lokno and invadererik have stood out, though we've also had contributions from Xexano, bobsaysholol and gsm, as well as visible work from fierydrake, OrbitalBliss, klamp, plus promises of future contributions from many others, and Lasd's dilligence with updating the first post of this thread! Exciting!

Guys, this is so amazing. I am mindblown by how awesome this community is.

I am well impressed by the work you guys are doing! I just had a quick blast with the offline level and it was a fun blast.

Keep up the great work!

Fantastic work, Team Bad Golf:CE!

Will try out a game of multiplayer shortly!

Hi, for people near SF or attending GDC: I will be doing a 10 minute Bad Golf: CE gameplay & QA at: http://www.lostlevels.net I'm guessing it will be at Yerba Buena Garden next to Moscone center like last years ( although the location hasn't been officially posted on their website). Anyway if anybody is interested in the fringe of indie game development, Lost Levels is a fun, crazy event to check out, expect the unexpected! Hope to see you there, and remember to take your Android device to play some Bad Golf

Hi, for people near SF or attending GDC: I will be doing a 10 minute Bad Golf: CE gameplay & QA at: http://www.lostlevels.net I'm guessing it will be at Yerba Buena Garden next to Moscone center like last years ( although the location hasn't been officially posted on their website). Anyway if anybody is interested in the fringe of indie game development, Lost Levels is a fun, crazy event to check out, expect the unexpected! Hope to see you there, and remember to take your Android device to play some Bad Golf

Do you have an exact time?

Or is the event pretty free-form?

Yeah the event is from 1-5, and last year the way they did the ordering was kinda pretty random and 3 sessions going on at the same time and then it just went on until there were no speakers left, so there are no time slots per say, unless of course they organize it differently this year. If they do it the same way I could try to switch order in the list with someone towards the beginning or towards the middle or end.

I PM'd you my phone number.

Text me a bit before you're talk and I'll make sure I'm there!

I PM'd you my phone number.

Text me a bit before you're talk and I'll make sure I'm there!

Little does Patrick know -- that Bad Golf : CE was secretly a ruse to get his phone number. Sly devils.

Smiles

Little does Patrick know -- that Bad Golf : CE was secretly a ruse to get his phone number. Sly devils.

Gah!

Fell right in to it!!

Yeah the event is from 1-5, and last year the way they did the ordering was kinda pretty random and 3 sessions going on at the same time and then it just went on until there were no speakers left, so there are no time slots per say, unless of course they organize it differently this year. If they do it the same way I could try to switch order in the list with someone towards the beginning or towards the middle or end.

That's super cool man, Lost Levels is a great unconference. I'm only going to be at GDC Friday but keep wishing I would have at least flown in earlier Thursday, now even moreso.

You going to be around the main conference Friday - or are any other contributors? It'd be fun to do a small meetup if there was enough interest.

I don't think I'll be around the conf much tomorrow, but I'm having dinner with some ex coworkers friday night.

I don't think I'll be around the conf much tomorrow, but I'm having dinner with some ex coworkers friday night.

Ah well. How did Lost Levels go?! What kind of stuff did you talk about, and did you manage to get some games going? No chance it got recorded at all, right?

Things have been fairly quiet, but we've still had a few bits and pieces trickling in (not quite enough to justify an update post though). I'm hoping things will pick back up a bit as people become more available.

Don't forget that we've got an IRC gathering this weekend too!

Wish there was something I could do to help! All I can do is repeatedly poke my head in and say keep going. Bad Golf 3 must liiiive!

Things have been fairly quiet, but we've still had a few bits and pieces trickling in (not quite enough to justify an update post though). I'm hoping things will pick back up a bit as people become more available.

Don't forget that we've got an IRC gathering this weekend too!

Hey people who are subscribed to this thread! We're currently having the meeting in our IRC chatroom (link above)! Feel free to pop in and check things out.

As Taekon mentioned, we had our little IRC meeting yesterday! It started a little late (our interview with Tim pushed Game Club out a bit longer than we'd expected), but it was good to talk through things.

The main things discussed were how to improve communication/visibility of contributor activity, player model swapping functionality, and fragmentation between online and offline modes.

We've decided to have gatherings fortnightly to serve as a time for general catching up and for dscussion of any prominent issues that would benefit from broad, realtime input. It'd also be good to have some playtest sessions at the end of each meeting to get some extra testing and keep things fun :)

We'll be using the same target time, which would put the next one as happening on the 5th of April at 10:30 UTC.

Since the last update, we've had a few bits and pieces going on:

invadererik has fixed a bug where the sound and music options weren't being loaded correctly when returning to the main menu (issue #193)

invadererik has added controls for mobile builds (issue #230)

bobsayshilol has updated the network lobby to resolve further NAT punchthrough problems and hide servers which can't be connected to (issue #18)

Osse has added turf particle effects to online multiplayer (issue #232)

invadererik has tweaked hover UI elements in the local multiplayer lobby screen (issue #62)

Osse has fixed a bug with opponent minimap icons being off centred (issue #85)

Belgerum has created a new in-game music track (issue #10)

As always, great work people! I'll try to get a new build together within the next day or two :)

I've been learning animation in blender (rigging, shape keys) so I might be able to help out in that department.

Apologies for the quietness, people!

We've had some big stuff come through within the past two weeks. In particular, bobsayshilol has done a fairly big reworking of some of the networking scripts to help move us towards having less disparity between online and offline play code and resources.

bobsayshilol has been working on refactoring online mode scripts to dynamically apply rather than rely on stuff in the level scenes (issue #238)

osse has added colour selection to online play and has updated the Patrick head used (issue #237)

osse was fixed a bug with the minimap icons (issue #85)

For anybody who's around and interested, we'll be having an IRC catch up in about 40 minutes :D

Super Awesome Double Post Action!

A little later than expected, it's new build time! :D

Description

This build, affectionately known as 2014_04_06-0fc288c, features @bobsayshilol's online multiplayer refactoring, @osse101's minimap fixes, @ErikBehar's offline multiplayer UI fixes, @osse101's migration of cart particle effects to online multiplayer, @bobsayshilol's NAT punchthrough fixes, @ErikBehar's mobile controls, @ErikBehar's audio config fixes, @MaritalWheat's ball marker fixes, @osse101's compiler warning fixes, and more!

Downloads

* Linux

* Mac OS

* Windows

Instructions

Use `W``A``S``D`, cursor keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer. Click and drag with the mouse to rotate the camera whilst driving. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use `A` and `D` or the left and right cursor keys to aim, `W` and `S` or the up and down cursor keys to adjust swing power, and space to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart. `F12` will take screenshots that will be stored according to Unity's Application.persistentDataPath variable.

Be the first player to hit your ball into the base of the pin (flag) to "win".

The online multiplayer server list now shows servers as being in "Lobby" or "Game started" states. During the "Lobby" phase, players can select cart models and character faces. Players can only join games in the "Lobby" state. Spectator mode has been temporarily disabled.

In online multiplayer mode, press `T` to chat. The placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. The blue bouncing ball icon represents the player's ball whilst the stationary red ones represent opponents' balls. If the cart becomes stuck, press `R` to manually respawn.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the ball will glow red when you are close enough to hit the ball.

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move

* The ball may fall through the bottom of the map

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* Ball movement in online multiplayer is not interpolated/smoothed

* Mouse control for golf mode does not work

* Online multiplayer mode is missing turf particle effects

* Carts may continue to move whilst in golf mode

* Player models may appear to be floating or clip through the ground on steep terrain

* Client players may not see the host's swing pose/animation

Woo! A good chat and fun playtest today.

My favourite screenshot is this one showing me launching into orbit:

screenshot_00012.png