• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

I just performed an Android build of the latest release. I'll send it to Cheese for him to add to GitHub.

Something awesome I noticed was that local multiplayer works without flaw on the OUYA. The only things that aren't working fully are the menus and online multiplayer.

I just performed an Android build of the latest release. I'll send it to Cheese for him to add to GitHub.

Something awesome I noticed was that local multiplayer works without flaw on the OUYA. The only things that aren't working fully are the menus and online multiplayer.

Sweet. If we can get that Android packaging stuff into the repo, we can properly tag an Android build (I really don't like pushing out out-of-trunk builds).

nice work guys - cool to see things still tracking along - i'm still pretty sleep deprived with my 3 week old but i'm gonna download the latest version and have a squiz :)

Sent in the pull request this morning!

Great! Got this pulled in along with some other contributions including a proper textured ball and a proper swing indicator for when you're close enough to the ball. I'll do an update post in a couple of days!

This game would already be fun without the golf part, just driving around haha.

Just one thing, when playing offline the place where I need to put the ball (the flag) is not shown in the minimap. Is this a bug or you just didn't implement it?

Just one thing, when playing offline the place where I need to put the ball (the flag) is not shown in the minimap. Is this a bug or you just didn't implement it?

The current undertaking is merging offline and online game mode features and rearchitecting them to follow the same internal structure. The minimap, character model and animations, and cart types would all be updated for offline mode, but getting there is taking significant work.

As osse says, this is a feature that's still being implemented. Offline mode doesn't yet use the same system that we're using in online play. We'll get there eventually :)

For anybody who's lurking around, it's about that time. Come hop in IRC ^_^

I keep having to miss these unfortunately - anyone mind giving a quick update of where things are/what's been being worked on/anything else relevant discussed?

For anybody who's lurking around, it's about that time. Come hop in IRC ^_^

I keep having to miss these unfortunately - anyone mind giving a quick update of where things are/what's been being worked on/anything else relevant discussed?

Sure! I'd meant to do this yesterday, but got swamped by other stuff. Things were fairly quiet. I gave a summary of recent changes and bobsayshilol and I tested some WIP network interpolation stuff. fierydrake and klamp made an appearance as well.

We've had a nice flurry of pull requests today courtesy of drewburden, who has reorganised many of our scripts and assets (these should be merged tomorrow).

We've also had some movement on other fronts as well, with Osse "scriptifying" offline mode functionality to reduce duplication and remove dependency on scripts and values being attached to levels, and with bobsayshilol putting some effort into movement interpolation for online mode. On the horizon, gsm is expecting to start working on a solution for handling multiple positional audio from offline players and I'll be pushing out another build soon (more detailed updates then!).

Keep on truckin' team. My fists are still pumping.

Sincerest apologies for the lack of updates! Things are still moving slowly ahead. I merged several pull requests from osse yesterday that migrated cart audio to the sound manager so that they can be controlled via the volume setting, implementing cart selection in offline mode, and some other bug fixes. I will definitely put together a new on Monday if not before.

We've had AnthonyDavis33 hanging out in IRC, who is keen to do some effects work. bobsaysholol has been popping in from time to time, as has The-Mad-Pirate and Taekon.

We'll get another IRC catchup happening soon. I'd suggest this weekend, but as I'm streaming Kentucky Route Zero for Game Club, I'd be pretty distracted (of course, people are more than welcome to hop in and chat with each other though!).

It's still Monday, I promise!

Description

This build, affectionately known as 2014_05_26-84f84c4, features @osse101's ball updates and swing icon, @RyanMorash's Android packaging config, @osse101's refactoring of offline mode scripts, @drewaburden's script and asset reorganisation efforts, @drewaburden's volume tweaks for non-looping 3D sounds, @osse101's win message fixes, @osse101's offline mode cart and head selection work, @osse101's sound instance management tweaks, @osse101's offline mode audio tweaks, and more!

Downloads

* Linux

* Mac OS

* Windows

* Android

Instructions

Use WASD, cursor keys, or analogue stick on a controller to steer. Click and drag with the mouse to rotate the camera whilst driving. Press E to enter golf swing mode and use A and D or the left and right cursor keys to aim, W and S or the up and down cursor keys to adjust swing power, and space to launch the ball, which will return you to your cart. F12 will take screenshots that will be stored according to Unity's Application.persistentDataPath variable.

Be the first player to hit your ball into the base of the pin (flag) to "win"

The online multiplayer server list now shows servers as being in "Lobby" or "Game started" states. During the "Lobby" phase, players can select cart models and character faces. Players can only join games in the "Lobby" state. Spectator mode has been temporarily disabled.

In online multiplayer mode, press T to chat. The placeholder HUD element will show "True" when you are close enough to hit the ball. The blue bouncing ball icon represents the player's ball whilst the stationary red ones represent opponents' balls. If the cart becomes stuck, press R to manually respawn.

In offline multiplayer mode, click on one of the player slots to activate. Click the middle left and right arrows to change colour. After clicking Start, the ball will glow red when you are close enough to hit the ball.

Known Issues

Please note that this is still a very early build - we are still bringing together disparate mechanics which will receive a lot of polish as time goes on!

* The ball in online multiplayer mode is difficult to move with the cart

* The ball may fall through the bottom of the map

* Ball physics are not final

* Cart handling is not final

* Key commands still function during multiplayer text chat on Linux

* Ball movement in online multiplayer is not interpolated/smoothed

* Mouse control for golf mode does not work

* Online multiplayer mode is missing turf particle effects

* Carts may continue to move whilst in golf mode

* Player models may appear to be floating or clip through the ground on steep terrain

* Client players may not see the host's swing pose/animation

Today's build of Bad Golf: CE for Android (84f84c4) has been forwarded to Cheeseness for inclusion!

A quick update so that people don't think things are dead. bobsayshilol is working on some network synchronisation stuff, Geek95 has pulled in PS Vita control mappings from InControl, and I'm still keeping an eye out for pull requests to review.

We should look at organising another IRC meeting during July to catch up and play a few games :)

I'm still here :) I kind of disappeared due to there not really being much I can help out on, but I'll be lurking to see if there's anything I can do.

I'm also still here. I just switched jobs to a new studio, and I have three weeks left in the class I'm teaching, but after that I should have more free time. I'd love to get back into this if people are still game.

Still doing stuff here and there. bobsayshilol threw some contributions in last month, which was good to have :D

bobsayshilol and I were talking the day before yesterday about replacing the underlying networking system with the recently open sourced RakNet library. It's fairly mature and robust so far as I'm aware (it's been around for ages, but I don't have any personal experience with it), so it should help ease the implementation of some of the networking issues we've been having less success with :)

I have a challenge that I started five years ago that I try to do every year to make 31 animations in January. My broken computer kept me from doing it this year, but I'm going to try to get a good chunk of animations done before the end of the year.

Anyway, the reason why it relates to this topic is because I decided to finally do some animations for possible funny little cartoons to run over the credits, as I described in this post on the issue tracker.

I just finished the first of these:

badgolf.gif

And the dancing gopher:

gopher.gif

I had another idea for the credits of Bad Golf: Community Edition. A golf cart drives past the screen and knocks over the names. I was looking through the player models, and I figured who would be better to do so than Brad Muir, with that expression. :D

jam_2015__brad_muir_in_a_golf_cart_animation_by_jennibee-d8fahe9.gif

That's great. I'm going to open up the code this weekend and try to see what can be worked on, I feel the need for some bad golfing.