• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

Hmm...I'm not sure if you guys need it. But I'll try and work on some dialogue for the characters to say.

Day 2 Screenshot!

Lil' Patrick not quite living up to his name. He's about 10 times larger than the "cart".

jSeVY8v.png

Day 2 Bonus:

Testing Ball Physics

wQzpd0S.png

Hello! I'm a programmer and I can find some time during the fortnight to help out. I'd love to work on some particle effects and custom shaders if we have time for those things.

Hey everyone, this sounds awesome! Just to set some ground(s keeping) rules, let's treat anything that results from this effort as creative commons so it can be distributed freely on a non-commercial basis. We can't brand it as a DF product either because it's not an official project and Double Fine must reserve all other rights so that Patrick is free to pitch Bad Golf 3 next year - because we all know how much we're looking forward to that!

Ok, enough business talk - have fun!

Hey everyone, this sounds awesome! Just to set some ground(s keeping) rules, let's treat anything that results from this effort as creative commons so it can be distributed freely on a non-commercial basis. We can't brand it as a DF product either because it's not an official project and Double Fine must reserve all other rights so that Patrick is free to pitch Bad Golf 3 next year - because we all know how much we're looking forward to that!

Thanks for stating this officially. Rest assured that we're well aware that this is a fan-project and that all rights to "Bad" and "Golf" are reserved by DF and Patrick. o^.^o

just posting to say that I've put up on the github links to some cart sounds I recorded (horn, engine start/stop/idle [still need collision and skidding sounds]) and simple rough rough versions of title and lobby music with them being in the same theme/ tempo and chord progression.

I will post again when I have more sounds from the list of things that need to get done! :D all feedback is important please tell me I suck.

i think we need a place for people to list what they're doing and stuff so things dont get too confused.

Thanks for stating this officially. Rest assured that we're well aware that this is a fan-project and that all rights to "Bad" and "Golf" are reserved by DF and Patrick. o^.^o

Still, have to do it - enjoy!

Thanks Justin! It's so cool that you guys would allow us - let alone support us - to do this thing :D

Thanks Justin! It's so cool that you guys would allow us - let alone support us - to do this thing :D

Thanks - this is an awesome idea! With how good things are already going on this project, we might actually make a community designed game an official part of our next DF :)

so I just played Bad Golf online....it was quite a moment! The cart even honks! :D :D :D

I'm going to go through the todo list of sounds and will record more of them tomorrow. if anyone wants to put in a sound asap and wants that done as quick as possible, let me know. lets get as much placeholder stuff in there as possible so we can judge it and re-do it all! :D

Justin, one thing to mention regarding all the legal/business stuff. These guys are getting a head start of like 4 days, and with their rate of progress so far that really seems unfair. Is there any recourse available to us? Can we sue our community for damages, or libel, or what have you?

Justin, one thing to mention regarding all the legal/business stuff. These guys are getting a head start of like 4 days, and with their rate of progress so far that really seems unfair. Is there any recourse available to us? Can we sue our community for damages, or libel, or what have you?

For not challenging you enough?

U6PKOPn.png

Tell us, Dan... what is it exactly.... YA DO HERE?

Bidiotbales, how's your own take on the music going?

I've never made music before, and I've discovered I don't have raw talent...

I'll upload a looping mix or two I made soon... but they aren't exactly good... I love yours though :D

Bidiotbales, how's your own take on the music going?

I've never made music before, and I've discovered I don't have raw talent...

I'll upload a looping mix or two I made soon... but they aren't exactly good... I love yours though :D

Aw, thanks. It's really tough to write something that sounds like what you want it to. I know all of us who have put music up so far have added a bunch of disclaimers saying its all super rough (but really, I spent a couple hours on those twenty seconds).

Thanks - this is an awesome idea! With how good things are already going on this project, we might actually make a community designed game an official part of our next DF :)

Ha ha, I was going to pitch this at you guys after we were done with the project :D

I will post again when I have more sounds from the list of things that need to get done! :D all feedback is important please tell me I suck.

i think we need a place for people to list what they're doing and stuff so things dont get too confused.

I've just been popping some feedback up on GitHub. The GitHub issues are definitely the best place for people to indicate their interest in working on something :)

To follow up on this and to address some concerns that people have had about doubling up on tasks , I've created a "Contribution Guidelines" page on the wiki.

If Justin, et al are comfortable, we'll add references to it in the readme and solidify that.

Also, whilst I was asleep, bobsayshilol rewrote his network branch and has something up that people have been testing. Here's a video from Patrick!

cheeseness we need to write who is doing what and keep track of that and the time zones, just writing a list of names won't cut it. it needs to be more organized and thats why i made the thread so everyone can write what their skills are and what they hope to do, and so the people doing the same stuff can know who is who and talk to each other. and you totally didn't introduce yourself in that thread! and yo github is confusing

if the people that intend to do the same thing don't talk to each other it will result in a lot of problems

we need to list everyone and what they're doing so we can figure out how many people are doing each task, seeing who are programmers and all that stuff, thats why I made that thread, writing your name and what you do in there will be like signing up. so people don't show up out of nowhere saying that they want to do something that is already done or already figured out.

for example if someone comes in and wants to program the golfing section but its already done by someone else then what happens? they needed to communicate earlier thats what! if the person can do it better then its cool, but if they both spent time making the same thing then it is obviously a waste of time in total, so thats what I hope to avoid by making sure we keep lots of updates

people need to post what theyre doing and stuff so if something is not done but going go be done soon it can also be noted somewhere just in case someone else tries to do it while the other is sleeping. (time zones are totally going to be a thing in this!)

this is gonna be fun and weird and fun :)

BAD GOLF 2! BAD GOLF 2! BAD GOLF 2!

How did this game not get selected? I was so disappointed!

I had a chat with jasondesante in IRC and I think we cleared things up.

I'd like to explain some things just in case it's all a bit confusing for anybody else (apologies if it is!).

cheeseness we need to write who is doing what and keep track of that and the time zones, just writing a list of names won't cut it. it needs to be more organized and thats why i made the thread so everyone can write what their skills are and what they hope to do, and so the people doing the same stuff can know who is who and talk to each other. and you totally didn't introduce yourself in that thread! and yo github is confusing

This is what the issue list on github is for. We're encouraging people to write on the relevant "issue" (think of them as tickets) for things that they're interested in working on, talking about their progress to keep others up to date and giving feedback on work that's been done so far. You can consider an individual issue to be a forum thread that's focused on some key deliverables, and handily integrated with the source control mechanisms we're using. GitHub's search feature is also much easier to work with than the forum search here.

If nobody in IRC is up to speed on where things are at and the status updates in the forum thread here feel out of date, we can find who's working on what at any time by looking at the people commenting (there's a "participants" list on the right hand side of each issue).

For people who find contributing pull requests via GitHub a bit too confusing, contributions can be linked to in a comment and one of those of us who have admin rights on the repo will do a commit adding it in, so don't let that side of things be discouraging!

Everybody is, of course, welcome to discuss things in IRC or on the forums here, but keeping relevant issues up to date with the outcomes of those discussions is important.

so people don't show up out of nowhere saying that they want to do something that is already done or already figured out.

We don't need that though. If the issue is still open, it's fair game (even if it's closed, people are welcome to open a new ticket and contribute improvements). In the interests of making Bad Golf: Community Edition the best game it can be, everybody who contributes something should expect and be comfortable comfortable with having their work iterated upon/improved/replaced as the project progresses.

In the short term, whilst we're trying to focus on getting something up and playable, it's best to leave anything related to a closed issue alone until we come back for a polishing pass (but that said, if anybody is super keen on updating or enhancing something, and it's not going to slow anything else down, then it'd be silly to not accept that contribution if it made the game better).

for example if someone comes in and wants to program the golfing section but its already done by someone else then what happens?

The way it's meant to work is that the first person states their intentions in the Golf Sim issue on GitHub. The second person reads this and decides whether they still want to try for themselves (people are welcome to re-do stuff if they like - if it makes the project better, than that's of value to everybody). The two may decide to collaborate and can coordinate via whatever means they like (further comments on the GitHub issue, IRC, Steam chat, Skype, whatever), and will keep the comment thread on the GitHub issue up to date with their progress. Eventually something complete will appear, either as a "pull request" or an attachment to the issue. That will get merged into the master branch of the main repository and the issue will be marked as closed.

This is how thousands of other community developed projects operate. The difference here is that we've got a project that's attractive to people who haven't encountered this style of development before. A less "open contribution" friendly, more responsibility oriented project isn't really sustainable for this sort of thing nor would it be in the best interests of the project itself.

I've got some experience with managing projects like this, though in all other cases, I've had the opportunity to work with people who're familiar with this style of development and/or have some existing relationships. Things came together much faster than I was expecting when I put my hand up to take on this role, and I definitely didn't do as good a job explaining off the bat how I've been trying to coordinate things as I would have liked (it would have been nice to get a "How to GitHub!" off the ground beforehand) - sorry, people! <3

The other thing to remember is that though things are coming together super fast, we don't need to feel pressured by the AF deadline - if all goes well, this project is probably going to continue on well beyond that. We may do a special 14th day prototype build and celebrate what we've achieved in a fortnight, but feeling pressured or stressed about that timeframe won't help the project. Let's relax, be patient and enjoy working on a super awesome game :D

I'll get a progress update post out in a few hours - it's been an exciting day!

Apologies for the double post :D

As promised, here's the progress update!

Takeon has been working on more hole concepts, has updated his Anna face concept art, and golf cart concept art.

Goldenheaven is reworking menu stuff to detect mouse hover and still working on configuraton loader

studiokraze is going to try to get some real-world golf sounds over the weekend

bobsayshilol has rewritten his networking back end, which is just about ready to be merged with the master branch, and has had a group testing session with Patrick and a bunch of other contributors

keozeo has started sketching some in-game hud concepts

bales has put together some initial GUI interaction sound effects

Lasd has improved the camera system and fixed local multipalyer viewport issues

invadererik's "Li'l Patrick" player model based on Taekeon's concept art has been added into the repo with placeholder materials, and also poking around with ball physics (as seen earlier in the thread).

jasondesante has put together some engine sounds recorded from a mini cooper (awesome), as well as some sweet lobby music

A number of people have put forward title music stuff. So far, jasondesante's feels strongest (especially given the way it ties in with his lobby music by using the same chord progression and tempo)

meeps is starting work on animating our player model

Justin Bailey has requested that we use CC BY-NC licencing for the project

I've put together a Contribution Guidelines page which covers licencing stuff suggested by Justin, and some other thoughts on how to approach contribution. I've also made a Contributor Roster page to help keep track of people's user names across the forums here, IRC and GitHub (to help avoid confusion about who's who). Feel free to add yourself to the list!

I suspect that we're going to move forward with some great strides over the weekend as we pull together bits and pieces and the game starts to take a more recognisable shape!

This is a great idea! I've got some experience in 3d Modelling (http://www.siebedeboer.nl/ArchViz.html), but not really for games (so no low poly stuff..). But if you want, I could try to make a 3d model based on the sketch in the post above of the cart. I could also texture it, but not sure about the requirements for the game engine. Is there a max polycount?

---

I do have to say, I'm quite busy in the coming weeks, so not sure If I can really commit. But I could at least try to make a base model for the cart. Others could add, change, whatever...

Saw some chatter on the Double Fine twitch about this. Sounds pretty awesome, I'm game artist and I'd love to contribute some model work or texture work if you need it. I'll check out your Github on the project.

Thanks - this is an awesome idea! With how good things are already going on this project, we might actually make a community designed game an official part of our next AF :)

That would be rad! You know, if you want to get started this year, you could move this thread to the top level of the Amnesia Fortnight 2014! subsection. :D

Ha ha, I was going to pitch this at you guys after we were done with the project :D

I've just been popping some feedback up on GitHub. The GitHub issues are definitely the best place for people to indicate their interest in working on something :)

I was telling Josh on a twitch stream it would be cool to make a Game Jam if 2HB ever gets a fulll Open Source Release.

if the people that intend to do the same thing don't talk to each other it will result in a lot of problems

we need to list everyone and what they're doing so we can figure out how many people are doing each task, seeing who are programmers and all that stuff, thats why I made that thread, writing your name and what you do in there will be like signing up. so people don't show up out of nowhere saying that they want to do something that is already done or already figured out.

for example if someone comes in and wants to program the golfing section but its already done by someone else then what happens? they needed to communicate earlier thats what! if the person can do it better then its cool, but if they both spent time making the same thing then it is obviously a waste of time in total, so thats what I hope to avoid by making sure we keep lots of updates

people need to post what theyre doing and stuff so if something is not done but going go be done soon it can also be noted somewhere just in case someone else tries to do it while the other is sleeping. (time zones are totally going to be a thing in this!)

this is gonna be fun and weird and fun :)

I actually have no idea what kind of task tracking and project managment capabilities does actually Github has , but , in any case , you can setup one easily on Openshift (i.e Redmine on a Ruby on Rails Stack) http://www.redmine.org/ https://www.openshift.com/

Another nice project Managment tool is JIRA from Attalassian https://www.atlassian.com/project-management-software

If Justin saying they might make a community portion an official part of AF = getting on Steam I would laugh with tears of joy. And also, learn Unity.

If Justin saying they might make a community portion an official part of AF = getting on Steam I would laugh with tears of joy. And also, learn Unity.

Use Bad Golf: Community Edition as your motivation to learn Unity!

Even if you don't end up contributing, it's a great task to help you learn. Also, there's a bunch of awesome people already working who will gladly help you along.