• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

If Justin saying they might make a community portion an official part of AF = getting on Steam I would laugh with tears of joy. And also, learn Unity.

Use Bad Golf: Community Edition as your motivation to learn Unity!

Even if you don't end up contributing, it's a great task to help you learn. Also, there's a bunch of awesome people already working who will gladly help you along.

Well, shoot. DLing now! I'll open it up and poke around the github in a bit. :D

Day 3 Screenshot!

New(er) cart model drivable in game. The lights are a bit buggy, but it's so much nicer to have a proper cart.

fQdKwxm.png

EDIT: Newest model was just added.

Day 3 Bonus:

Super placeholder menu (it works though, mostly):

eOQoLBr.png

While I have neither the time nor skills to properly contribute, I just wanted to say that this is amazing. Keep up the good work guys!

But if you want, I could try to make a 3d model based on the sketch in the post above of the cart. I could also texture it, but not sure about the requirements for the game engine. Is there a max polycount?

Nice work!

We don't have a strict polycount in place at the moment, but our player model is currently 1650 odd tris. Plucking a number out of thin air, I suspect we could comfortably go 5k - 8k for the cart (and maybe upres the player model a bit as well down the track).

A couple of people are working on cart models, so be sure to comment in the GitHub issue and let people know what you're up to :)

Yay, Meeps! :D

Hey guys.

I've gotten carts with wheels (animated!), acceleration, braking, cart collision (in theory), they can go up hills etc., and there's 360 controller support. I'm not exactly sure how to submit them here, but they're uploaded to my git repo forked from an earlier version of this one.

https://github.com/Randdalf/bad-golf-community-edition

I posted this in the cart sim issues thread on GitHub too.

lPJrXNf.png

It's pretty fun to drive about!

Hey guys.

I've gotten carts with wheels (animated!), acceleration, braking, cart collision (in theory), they can go up hills etc., and there's 360 controller support. I'm not exactly sure how to submit them here, but they're uploaded to my git repo forked from an earlier version of this one.

https://github.com/Randdalf/bad-golf-community-edition

I posted this in the cart sim issues thread on GitHub too.

lPJrXNf.png

It's pretty fun to drive about!

dude youre awesome! I hope this works with the stuff that's already been done because I'm clueless how the different programming work will be able to merge with each other! :D

looks so awesome! :D

edit:

8sXYknpswow

Right!

Apologies for the delays with today's status update. What a big day it's been!

First up, we have some new test builds containing bobsayshilol's updated network code (online behaviour will be similar to the previous network test build that some of you have played around with), invadererik's Lil Patrick player model, and xexano's golf cart model.

This release is known as "2014-02-17_b01a8c5", which is how we'll be tagging development builds (that's the date followed by the short git revision, which means that if we ever need to reproduce a bug or understand why something has changed, we can jump back to the version of the code that the build was created from really easily. Huzzah!)

* Linux

* Mac

* Windows

Use W and S for forward and reverse, and A and D for steering.

In online multiplayer mode, press Q to beep the horn, T to chat, R to spawn a ball, and G to make the player model appear next to the ball.

In split screen mode, WASD controls all four "carts" (represented by blue boxes).

Please note that this is a super duper early build!

* Chat text is limited to 25 characters per message

* Ball and Lil Patrick collision boxes remain after client disconnect

* Debug console logs errors when clients connect and disconnect

Moving onto other exciting activity (stuff that will appear in later builds), we've had a bunch of concept art come through from Taekon and lightsoda. I'd like to include images for everything, but this post is going to be pretty long as it is.

Taekon has been working on some more hole designs (issue #4)

Fatmandu has been working on a test course based on Taekon's concept art (issue #4)

e2047194-96c4-11e3-8139-466180a671a5.jpg

In this image, lightsoda painted over our test course (which isn't usable in the current test build), and put forward a concept for some UI (issue #17).

Yesterday, Patrick had this to say, and I think we're heading solidly in that direction:

in contrast to the metal soundtrack of the second video, the game should have a bright and cheery look

bd26d054-96da-11e3-9ceb-ac02bedaa19c.jpg

lightsoda has also done a matching menu concept (issue #16.

e20f772c-96e4-11e3-8060-9994a036f6b1.jpg

32bc77e2-96fe-11e3-8a0d-d6cdf909a750.jpg

Taekon is poking around with some colour tests to differentiate players, and has also been looking at enhancing the textures on our player models. You can also see here that xexano's Brad face is working its way towards completion (issue #1)

We've put all of the sounds provided by studiokraze, bales, jasondesante into the asset sources repo so that they're easy to find when we need them.

Fatmandu has also made a golf club model and a ball model as well, which are also up in the asset sources repo.

nulian has been working on some of the car/golf transition stuff and is responsible for the ball and Lil Patrick being in the multiplayer test.

Lokno has been poking around with some terrain avoidance tweeks for the camera.

Lasd is also progressing towards having ball physics ready for early implementation.

Goldenheaven is apparently close with some of the configuration loading stuff.

Slimline and Randdalf have been looking at revamping the way that the driving mechanics are handled.

stupert is looking at doing a waterfall background asset.

invadererik has been poking around with some more menu stuff and has been doing a smashing job of staying on top of pull requests!

What a day! Fantastic work everybody!

I'm blown away by the quality of your work. It's awesome ! o0

I wasn't interested in Bad Golf at first, but now i want to play that !

I missed day 4, so here's day 5 screenshots. For contrast with the UI mockups: here's an in-game shot:

E8TcV40.png

Day 5 Bonus:

Fun fact, you can see through Brad Golf's head.

kqpjnw3.png

Wow, you guys are going fast. I checked Github, and you mostly seem to be using Blender. I have booted it up twice, but it's a bit daunting now to invest time in new software, so I'll watch from the sidelines for now. You seem to have everything well under way. But I'll check the Github, and if there's some need for 3D modelling I'll jump in and see if I can help with my corporate 3D Max monstrosity.

Wow, amazing work you guys! So many things getting worked on at once, but I wish I could contribute.

Anyone that feel like they would want to contribute should join the IRC channel and ask around. We've got a lot of people with little or no experience trying to get by. If nothing else take it as an oportunity to learn stuff.

//Slimline

emblem.png

A nod to the original pitch, I put this into a main menu concept as well, some guys aren't that fond of it though :)

b5193e2c-9754-11e3-90d3-ed27f52f1659.jpg

I love the new art and progress everyone. lightsoda, maybe drop the banner so Community Edition is full visible? Looks great!

Looks nice dude! Re: the banner with "community edition" - You could widen the banner and just have the two words spaced to be fully either side of the skull, as le_pants says move the whole banner below and also maybe flip it so it curves upwards? or maybe move the text to a plaque below the skull? - I'd also consider not having the eye holes etc. see through - will make the skull area less busy.

Yes, GunnyMclfy. The eyes are too busy.

How about making Community Edition look like a name plate on a trophy.

http://www.halexawards.com/images/0191Afantasytrophyplaque.jpg

definitely another option - would need to either change the shape of the backing board - or move the skull up (and possibly shrink) to accommodate.

excuse my bodgy 2sec sketches:

name plate:

badgolf.jpg

moved banner:

badgolf2.jpg

in any case the art style is great so i wouldn't change that at all :)

was thinking that 1 snapped golf club could be cool instead of 2 mini golf clubs? kind of fits with the theme of the game :)

edit:

or a bent/run over golf clubs :D

I am left agasp.....

wow such wow.... my god.... yes.... so awesome... yessssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!bad golf 2!

COMMUNITY EDITIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goddddd yes.... people, i love you alll!!

was thinking that 1 snapped golf club could be cool instead of 2 mini golf clubs? kind of fits with the theme of the game :)

edit:

or a bent/run over golf clubs :D

I'm not certain that a snapped golf club would be visually identifiable.

It's important to remember that in logos, it's rare for to have expectations of realistic scale. We're looking at a stylised representation of golf clubs and a skull. For this particular design, maintaining consistency with common skull-and-crossbones motifs is more important than aiming for accuracy of proportional size. if it makes it easier, consider it to be two normal sized golf clubs and one massive skull :D

Time for another update!

Today saw some multiplayer testing of yesterday's test build on Windows, Mac OS, Linux \o/

Today we also merged in menu enhancements and initial external configuration handling from Goldenheaven (issue #28).

We've also merged in initial golf mode tests from Lasd (issue #22).

c032be2c-9741-11e3-9997-9893e17459c3.png

Fatmandu has continued to work on environmental elements (issue #5).

6187efa2-97df-11e3-9efe-64a2d7ff2079.jpg

lowmankind has been working on a golf cart based on Taekon's sketches (issue #2).

838d6b80-977c-11e3-850f-102ab605389e.png

xexano has been improving the Brad head model and looking towards animating it (issue #1).

863d44c6-976e-11e3-816f-260c51c44f30.jpg

Taekon has been looking at texturing improvements for the player models we have so far (issue #1).

b5193e2c-9754-11e3-90d3-ed27f52f1659.jpg

lightsoda has been continuing to put together menu concepts. Here's a look in case you missed it earlier in the thread. Be sure to check out the revised Bad Golf: Community Edition emblem concept a few posts above! (issue #16).

09c99cf6-9745-11e3-91a9-0c133050a2c2.jpg

52e0abaa-9745-11e3-9726-9d2650695e53.jpg

lightsoda has also been working on additional in-game UI concepts as well (issue #17).

jasondesante has reworked his title menu concept and has a rough track up (issue #8).

studiokraze has recorded a bunch of real world golfing sounds - check the assets repo for a listen (issue #13).

Slimliner has continued to work on updating the cart simulation (issue #21).

fatmandu has updated his test course to use a collision mesh (issue #4).

Another great day! :D

It would be great if there was a side quest in each level where extra points are awarded to the player who finds, and uses the most tetanus shots on Brad to cure his lockjaw so he can finally stop smiling.

Also, you guys are pretty damn awesome. I can't wait to start playing Bad Golf!