Lasd

Bad Golf: Community Edition

We can add (longer term) a power up feature where you screw up your opponent's ball by making it run off to the wrong direction.

That's sort of the plan with running over opponents balls in carts :D

just in case people reading those articles clicking the github not knowing what it is.....should we write links to the humble store page and double fine's twitch and youtube up top on the github page for people that might not know?

Okay. This is looking positively amazing and I do NOT want to miss out on this. Damnit, I wish I had found this topic earlier!

I have zero experience with programming, but I am okay on the art side of things. Are you still in need of 2D artists?

Okay. This is looking positively amazing and I do NOT want to miss out on this. Damnit, I wish I had found this topic earlier!

I have zero experience with programming, but I am okay on the art side of things. Are you still in need of 2D artists?

There's still some issues open that could use some 2D art. The best thing to do is just look through the issue tracker and find something that you'd like to contribute, and leave a message there letting people know that you intend to work on something (and then put up a link to your art asset on the tracker once you're finished).

I've added some issues referencing needed assets for the minimap if someone would like to take those. They should be relatively simple, but they certainly require thought and good eye for design.

Join in on the fun!

can you just park your cart in front of their shot?

This is something to address more directly once we've got the golf sim a little more polished and can get a feel for what works and what doesn't. My expectation at the moment is that we'll allow this, but have carts that are hit by golf balls accelerate and not be able to steer for a short period of time (so that blocking a shot becomes more of a risk vs reward proposition, and targeting opponents carts intentionally may even be something a player might want to do).

"They actually asked us about this and we gave them permission. We're super excited to see what comes of it!" said Rice in an e-mail to Eurogamer. "And yes, the ideas are copyrighted. There are legal lines on the pitch videos and the webpage. We're just letting them run with it for fun."

Not to be a downer but this annoys me, this is what is known as copy fraud, ideas and game mechanics are not copyright able. Only the expression of an idea is copyrightable. Even if that we're not the case, the U.S doesn't entirely adhere to relevant treaties, so unless you register the copyright you are only entitled to actual damages (which would be what on 30 second pitch?).

As far as the name, I've searched no record of a trademark application for Bad Golf attributable to anyone from DF. Asking permission seems to have been more about respect than any matter of law.

can you just park your cart in front of their shot?

This is something to address more directly once we've got the golf sim a little more polished and can get a feel for what works and what doesn't. My expectation at the moment is that we'll allow this, but have carts that are hit by golf balls accelerate and not be able to steer for a short period of time (so that blocking a shot becomes more of a risk vs reward proposition, and targeting opponents carts intentionally may even be something a player might want to do).

Yeh really interested to see how you balance griefing and actual challenge :) kind of like the idea of there being pressure on you to get the shot out before the other player comes careening through to clean you up! getting thrown from the cart would be cool too - having to run back to where it landed road rash style

"They actually asked us about this and we gave them permission. We're super excited to see what comes of it!" said Rice in an e-mail to Eurogamer. "And yes, the ideas are copyrighted. There are legal lines on the pitch videos and the webpage. We're just letting them run with it for fun."

Not to be a downer but this annoys me, this is what is known as copy fraud, ideas and game mechanics are not copyright able. Only the expression of an idea is copyrightable. Even if that we're not the case, the U.S doesn't entirely adhere to relevant treaties, so unless you register the copyright you are only entitled to actual damages (which would be what on 30 second pitch?).

As far as the name, I've searched no record of a trademark application for Bad Golf attributable to anyone from DF. Asking permission seems to have been more about respect than any matter of law.

Courtesy, respect and harmonious community/developer interaction were definitely the reasons I shot an email out to Greg before things started.

That said, if DF were the kind of company to issue takedowns against their community, I doubt the project would survive it (that sort of thing is hugely demoralising, and we don't really have the resources to fight that sort of thing), so adequate grounds or not, a thumbs up was definitely worth getting so far as legal stuffs are concerned.

Edit: I do agree though that muddied waters with regards to copyright law are not a good thing.

(my favorite) Pokemon 3D http://pokemon3d.net/

Pokemon Generations http://www.indiedb.com/games/pokemon-generations

Pokemon Evoas http://th3sharkk.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Evoas-0-0-3-423355852

Pokemon Reborn http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/

Pokemon Obsidian http://pokemonobsidian.tumblr.com/

Pokemon Zeta and Omicron http://www.pokemonzetaomicron.com/

yea those are fan made games of something that has been released. This is slightly different. The universe knows its Patrick's game, nothing to worry about yo.

I have to admit I'm on phogan side here. Double Fine can't be going around saying that "the ideas are copyrighted," they have no legal grounds to say that. The name "Bad Golf"/"Bad Golf 2" could be something they could claim as a trademark as well as any art, character design etc... created, but not the idea. There's already so much bad copyright info around the web we don't need to coming from studios.

On a happier note I just checked out this project for the first time and I'm blown away way, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Alrighty, a quick status update. Not quite as big as testerday's, but we've still been making great progress!

Tomorrow will mark our 14th day since we started working on Bad Golf: Community Edition. We'll try to get a build out super soon to be our "First Fortnight Build" or similar, and then do another special build for the end of Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight to celebrate that. The project will continue though, and I'm expecting that we'll have people with more time/attention after the AF streams have finished.

The most exciting stuff is yet to come! :D

8cdc0c80-9d8c-11e3-882d-26739dd13aba.jpg

lightsoda has been making some rocks and plants (issue #5)

c8c750fc-9db3-11e3-8997-2196dd3b9bd1.png

AustinCarr has been working on a ball icon suitable for the minimap (issue #110)

24304242-9db8-11e3-98bd-bbc8f154b59f.png

AustinCarr has also been working on a hole icon suitable for the minimap (issue #111)

invadererik has merged a huge branch which has lots of local multiplayer stuff in it (issue #62)

gsm has been continuing to work on split screen audio stuff for local multiplayer (issue #62)

Osse has gotten networked multiplayer working with the new cart control system. This is still being reviewed, but will likely be brought into let us push out another test build soon! (issue #20)

MaritalWheat has continued working on ball indicators, adding variation for enemy ball indicators (issue #25)

elneilios has continued to work on their in-game music track (issue #10)

GoldenHeaven has done some more volume control stuff (issue #113)

gsm has put together a wiki page talking about considerations people should have before using/including third party work (code or assets) - this is super important!

gsm has also been helpful with creating some new, more granular issues to help people work on smaller tasks (such as icons for the mini map mentioned earlier).

Last, but not least, we've had coverage by MixnMojo, Polygon, Eurogamer, Destructoid, PCGamer, PCGamesN, VG 24/7, and Gamasutra!

The author of the Polygon article had this to say after I thanked them for the coverage:

It's everything games should be :)

Edit: Added some more articles - it's been a big day!

Osse's multiplayer stuff is merged in. We'll be pushing out a build within the next 8 - 10 hours :D

In the meantime, this happened.

aM1OhXh.png

Do you think/plan you will have a working prototype at the end of Amnesia Fortnight?

Or will the project take longer?

Do you think/plan you will have a working prototype at the end of Amnesia Fortnight?

I hope on the Day of Play, where everyone at DF gets to play the prototypes and they stream teams playing around with each other's games, Bad Golf can be a part of that!

Smiles

Depends on what you call a "working prototype". I consider the build we've got up now and the build we're about to push out to be "working prototypes" which demonstrate features we've been putting together.

As said a few times during the thread, we'll definitely push a build out at the end of Amnesia Fortnight (and one today to commemorate the end of our first fortnight today) :)

There's no real reason for us to stop after Amnesia Fortnight is over either. This project can continue to grow and evolve for as long as anybody wants to contribute to it! Yay :D

I'd actually like this game to partly be a spoof of bad bargain bin games, sort of how Goat Simulator is a spoof of bad 'simulator' games.

Trailer:

The trick would be to make it a good game disguised as a bad game - or rather, a good game that spoofs bad games and steals the 'good' parts of bad games, such as the hilarious glitches. (Or as is often the case, the entertaining glitches in good or higher-end games.)

Crashing into your friends and having them fly across the world into the skybox like in GTA 4 or having your character model glitch out like in "Skate" is part of the fun.

Guys watch episode 4! :D

(sorry, AF 2014 documentary day 4)

I can't seem to find it, do you have a link?

gotta love the 2PProd guys... YAY Bad Golf: Community Edition! ^__^

Wow, you guys are amazing. After seeing today's episode, I've vowed to vote for bad golf 3 next year if I need to. Maybe this community project will just grow and grow. Really excited to see.