Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

DRM Free Broken Age!

Happy Valentine’s Day Eve to all you beautiful Double Fine Adventure backers. We love you all madly and deeply and wanted to express this in traditional Valentine’s Day fashion, by showering you with gifts! As of right now, all of your DFA backer download pages on Humble Bundle’s website should have been magically updated to include DRM free downloads of Broken Age Act 1 on PC, Mac, and Linux!

If you haven’t yet received your download page, please email support@doublefine.com and we’ll get you sorted. Otherwise, head over to the Humble download page that was linked in your fulfillment email or check the bottom of your Humble library at humblebundle.com to grab this! And for your friends who weren’t as on top of things as you and didn’t back the project in time, here’s a new site we created for folks to purchase the DRM free version of the game: http://brokenagegame.com/buy/.

Act 2 Update

With Act 1 now fully out the door and heartwarmingly being so well received, the Broken Age team has now shifted our focus entirely to making Act 2 the amazing followup you all expect and deserve. We’ve already jumped head first into a lot of the work needed to ship on our remaining platforms, and artists have started jamming out a bunch of new concepts. All the while, Tim has been locked in a room listening to all the feedback we’ve gotten on Act 1 and putting the final touches on the Act 2 design. Once we’re back from Amnesia Fortnight we’ll be able to hit the ground running and start building the rest of this thing! But until then...

Amnesia Fortnight

It’s nearly time for us to forget about Broken Age for a couple weeks! Tomorrow at noon PST we will be announcing your 2014 Amnesia Fortnight results! Currently, 10 finalists are competing for the chance to lead a team at Double Fine in creating a prototype of the game of their dreams.

Starting next Tuesday, the top 3 Double Fine ideas as well as the top voted idea from Adventure Time creator Pendleton Ward will be developed into a prototype over the course of 2 weeks. The whole process will be livestreamed and documented in a daily video series by the 2 Player Productions you’ve all come to know and love. To cast your vote and join in on the fun, head over to humblebundle.com/doublefine!

And be sure to check back there tomorrow at 11:00 am PST for a discussion with Pendleton Ward about his projects and the reveal of your winners!

Documentary Update

As you can see, the 2 Player Productions guys have caught the Amnesia bug as well. Things are well underway with the next documentary episode, which will cover shipping Act 1 and both the internal and external reactions to the game, but work on this will be set aside for 2 weeks to focus on Amnesia Fortnight. So you can expect a little more of a break between episodes with this one. We’re also still working through the final pieces necessary to be able to deliver documentary downloads and start selling the doc again. That should all hit shortly after Amnesia Fortnight as well. Luckily you’ll have all those new AF videos to watch while you wait!

Dialog Pipeline

We’ve had a bunch of folks ask about how we manage all of the dialog Tim writes, the localization of these lines, and the audio that gets recorded. It’s actually quite a large task, but one for which we have a really solid process in place. Head over to this thread for an in depth post from rockstar VO & Localization Producer, Malena Annable.

Khris Brown Sidequest

Last but definitely not least, everyone’s favorite uber-talented, super-passionate, legend of video game voice, Khris Brown, is back with a whole Sidequest of her own! With years and years of experience dating all the way back to working with Tim at LucasArts, you can be sure there are lots of fun stories to be told! ENJOY!

[vimeo]86474774[/vimeo]

Good New Games

We wanted to start up a new section of our updates to highlight cool games we’re excited about that are coming from other developers. There’s just so much rad stuff going on in games these days that it’s hard for us to not be inspired by all the amazing stuff going on around us. Here are three cool games that are currently the talk of the office.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2-KING Art Games

This one probably needs no introduction to you lot, as it’s the sequel to one of the most well received adventure games in recent years. Well, now there’s a Kickstarter for it, and they’re looking for folks JUST LIKE YOU to help them make the game everything they want it to be! So what are you waiting for? Adventure gamers unite!:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2

Eliss Infinity-Little Eyes

A followup to one of the first truly great games on iOS, Eliss Infinity adds a host of new features such as a score based infinite mode, Game Center leaderboards, enhanced controls, and more. With all aspects of the game including art and music handled in code by one person, the game has a cohesive and highly polished feel the likes of which are far too rare on mobile devices.

http://www.toucheliss.com/

Threes-Sirvo LLC

Just like Eliss, Threes is a triumph of simple and elegant design on iOS. With folks like Asher Vollmer (Puzzlejuice) and Greg Wohlwend (Ridiculous Fishing, Hundreds) at the helm, it should really come as no surprise.

http://asherv.com/threes/

We’ll be back with you guys in March, until then HAPPY AMNESIA FORTNIGHT!

DRM free downloads of Broken Age Act 1 on PC, Mac, and Linux!

You guys! You are amazing :) Thank you :)

And for your friends who weren’t as on top of things as you and didn’t back the project in time, here’s a new site we created for folks to purchase the DRM free version of the game: http://brokenagegame.com/buy/.

Noted. I will put this to good use.

Incredible. Great SideQuest, and great to learn from Khris what I think we all thought of her. :) I am proud to know that people like you work in this industry.

As one of the people that complained about the lack of a DRM-free version of Act 1, thank you very much! I will very likely play the heck out of this, this weekend. :)

I think Khris is right about why people like Tim (and DF in general), and this definitely seems true about Khris as well.

I would put Tim in the same category as people like Penny Arcade's Gabe & Tycho, or Nathan Fillion, or Ellen Degeneres, or Jackie Chan, or Rick Moranis, or Jennifer Lawrence, or Jack Black. All people who, yes, are famous because of what they do, but who are also famous because of who they genuinely are. They all have this admirable realness about them. None of them pretend to be anything other than exactly what they are. All of them seem very aware of how lucky they are/have been. Some of them at times even seem surprised or embarrassed about their level of fame (insert Tim rolling his eyes at "the legendary Tim Schafer" here). And most of all, with all of those people, you can just feel this constant, deep gratefulness that is always pouring out of them. The world didn't have to give them this, and they know it, and they're never going to stop being grateful for that for a second.

Speaking of Jack Black, it's so fun to see Tim and Jack interact on video because, despite their different backgrounds and careers, they both have that same honest, good-willed, very genuine, very contagious spirit about them. There is a certain magical glow around an artist when they are in the zone. It's like you can just feel them being spiritually fulfilled by getting to do the thing they love to do more than anything. Tim's glow is a little more reserved than Jack's, but it's still invigorating and inspiring to vicariously enjoy.

That being said, there is just something about the spirit of Tim and Double Fine that trickles down to the community and makes the whole ecosystem special in a way that you can't really find at any other game company. There are plenty of creators you could admire for the quality of their work, but every once in a while you encounter a creator where it almost doesn't even matter what they produce in the end, you know? Because at the end of the day, a lot of what you love about them is the sheer honesty, and heart, and realness of whatever they do. And I know Tim knows exactly what I mean, because he wrote Eddie Riggs.

Maybe Tim was able to write Eddie so well because Eddie is at heart an aspect of Tim. A guy who is obviously talented and obviously has leadership qualities, but who feels his true calling is helping other rockstars (i.e. awesome DF staff) look good. A guy who lives and breaths music/games, who finds himself in a world full of all kinds of music/games, and yet he is nostalgic for a time when the music/games were more.... you know... real. That's so important to them both. Real creators making honest creations not just for the income (but for that too), but also because they are DRIVEN to do it. They must. There is so much art inside of them that they will burst if they don't get to create it.

You do kinda get the sense that Tim, like his own Eddie Riggs, could never feel truly fulfilled not being able to produce and experience the real thing. You get the sense that, even if their respective ships were on fire and sinking, they would never leave the captain's wheel. They'd just sail it right into oblivion, out of principle, because they've known the honest, real thing, and they'd rather sail to their doom on the very last ounce of it than live soul sick in a world without it. Ya know?

The world would be a greyer place without people like Tim, and Jack, and Khris, and the wonderful DF staff. So thank you all for being so amazing and inspiring and generous and for letting us spy on you!

Another wonderful side-quest. Is there anyone at Double Fine or in their orbit that *isn't* incredibly passionate, interesting, and inspirational? I mean, c'mon, it's getting old!! :)

Man, that Sidequest is amazing! I love how open and honest Khris is about absolutely everything. It's hard for me to think of games that have better voice acting than almost everything that LucasArts and Double Fine have released and it's finally starting to make sense why that is.

Thanks to 2PP for the great edit, as always.

I hope the Khris Brown Sidequest gets a dedicated thread like the others because that was an amazing interview.

DRM free downloads of Broken Age Act 1 on PC, Mac, and Linux!

I too was one of the people who hoped for a DRM-free Act 1. Thank you very much for releasing this version so that people like us are not left behind. I'm really looking forward to the remainder of your/our journey.

I hope the Khris Brown Sidequest gets a dedicated thread like the others because that was an amazing interview.

I agree! That sidequest was great but I'm confused why it hasn't been given its own thread.

Great Work 2PP!

I agree, it's a great sidequest and deserves it's own thread! That being said, thanks for keeping us in the loop and really looking forward to AF!

I felt that some of the comments I saw regarding the lack of a DRM release were way out of line, but I'm really happy to see Double Fine taking direct feedback from the community and responding to it. Good stuff.

It's natural that people who were expecting a DRM-free release for Act 1 would have been pissed off when in the beginning it was going to be Steam-only. It's an issue people can be very passionate about.

And generally speaking, from what I seen a very small section of the Steam fan boys were the most extreme of the bunch.

Either way, everyone can be happy now! :)

Ugh. There's just some people in various industries that have their niches, and their niche fanclubs, but are far more important than the credit they're generally given, and Khris Brown seems to be one of those people. She's perfect. The passion, the stories, the abundant love (essentially quitting her full-time position out of love). When she speaks of safety, specifically when using the word "safe" she speaks in a different tone, because it means something to her. People might think I'm the wrong side of sane putting it like this, but this kind of commitment, and what she herself talks about when talking about Tim, is exactly what's needed to create art (versus the bulk of folderol that's labeled as art just because it broadly falls under the category of creative arts; and I am talking universally about media, not games specifically). Honestly, I'll take someone who compares their commitment to art to the urgency of a doctor's work over a world of people who don't. And because it's somewhat pertinent, it just exasperates me if people aren't satisfied with what they got for their money. I worry that the lesson people take from the documentary is that this is what game development is like, not that this is what game development is like at Double Fine.

The 16 days post Steam release DRM free/telemetry version doesn't even start on my private Mac.

I am totally stoked to be able to play Act 1 now DRM-free without waiting and putting off my documentary watching too. Thanks so much everyone on the team. However, I didn't seem to receive an email notification that it was available. I found it on the Humble Store for sale and then started digging to find out if it was available to me.

Did I just miss the email somewhere?

Thanks again and keep it up!

Nice to see you hint us at the other KS projects.

KING ART Games backed Massive Chalice. Great, isn't it?

Dang. Now I love Khris even more.

The level of compassion and understanding, and dedication this beautiful, beautiful woman has is amazing!

And when she was talking about making the actor feel safe I found myself going "Yes! She gets it! She really, really gets it!"

I sincerely and fervently hope with all my heart to someday have the honor of working with such wonderful people.

And I wish the same to everyone else here. And everywhere for that matter. I know it's improbable, but I really want to believe!

This was a great sidequest, I'm just hoping people won't miss it. As of now, it is kind of hidden in this post about the DRM-free release, and is not mentioned on the backer site or in the table of contents.

Awesome sidequest! I'd love to hear from Khris what steps she takes to make it sound like the voice actors are recording conversations together, even though the documentary shows they do all their lines separately. Even back to the original Sam & Max the conversations had a smooth flow to them, even when technical issues got in the way (e.g. long delays between actors lines). But a lot of other games just don't. I remember watching a video hyping the voice acting in a AAA title, but to me every line sounded like the actor was just talking to themselves. Even when the transitions and ducking* were smooth, in the delivery you could just see the actor alone in the recording booth with the paper in their hand. Is there any secret sauce to Double Fine and old LucasArts titles getting this right?

*new word learned, thanks DF and 2PP

Great sidequest with Khris! Like almost everything in the documentary part of DFA, it was very well done and gave a great appreciation of her and her work.

I may not be super satisfied with Broken Age, but the 2PP stuff has been awesome all along. Keep up the great work!

Sign in to follow this