Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maragnus

Technicians can't keep up

I have a good sized base and a dozen skilled technicians but they cannot keep up with repairs. I have made it a point to unclaim everything except my one current mining operation. On three occasions so far, the entire population save two or three had suffocated.

I've put screens and plants in every room that techs frequent, but I can't keep their mood and productivity up. I even have the Mk 2 technician upgrade from the docked ship.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Download my save

lazytechs.jpg

tech must have been nerfed, or rather, they seem unable to service a thing multiple times in a row like before, they do it once and start to glitch, so all my o2 recyclers are starting to fail....

My 50 man base was running fine on about 5 or 7 techs. How's morale?

My 50 man base was running fine on about 5 or 7 techs. How's morale?

my 100+ base was doing just fine for ages before the update, 40+ techs, about 30 of them are five star and are ecstatic.

now, its all falling apart.

The opposite's happened for me; in 3b if the population got around 70 crewmembers there was no keeping up with repairs even if I trained the entire base into 3+ star technicians (with almost all being 5 star and a only a handful 4). Paradoxically they kept whining about the lack of duty. In 4 and 4a, I haven't had a problem so far after building the modified O2 recyclers. They require a 4x4 block like a matter refinery, but since they provide twice the O2 with only one object to maintain they require half the technician effort. I was starting to see the disrepair before I upgraded, though: the O2 recyclers simply degraded faster than any tech could ever hope to counteract.

I wonder if there's a similar "cap" at around 130-140 population where even modified O2 recyclers will start going into that state of disrepair despite an army of technicians.

That said, I can't seem to get above 50 population for a different reason - any "excess" builders promptly go out for a spin in space and refuse to come back until they're already about to suffocate, then suffocate in or outside the airlocks. There's three, for fuck's sake, just pick an empty one instead of waiting outside the one in use!

My total capacity with all Life Support working is 102 (only 48 reports due the Life Support level 2 bug). There is more in disrepair, nearly all of the doors are under 7% condition, most of the research desks are broken, airlocks fail constantly. Their morale is poor and I'm not certain why. Everyone else is happy, even the miners. Each time a tech is on duty, they perform one minor repair and go off being unproductive.

Helmic, I've had that same problem with the builders. My early bases used to have pairs of airlocks side-by-side but it rarely mattered, one would go unused.

At least I know that I'm not the only one with this issue. My base before the update hit over 90 before I had a catastrophic failure and killed everyone. I'll try adding plants and screens on every spare tile in the life support areas and see if morale improves.

I appreciate they are prioritizing adding new content, but poor AI behavior is too frustrating to ignore.

My total capacity with all Life Support working is 102 (only 48 reports due the Life Support level 2 bug).

That sounds roughly around the number I predicted with having only modified O2 recyclers, it's at around 20-25-ish O2 units that the technicians seem to be unable to keep up with repairs. I wonder if this has anything to do with how builders seems to utterly ignore very old orders, maybe once there's a certain number of jobs available the AI bugs out and crew stops actually doing their jobs? Try running the game in ONLY normal speed, it seems double or triple speed seems to cause a lot of problems relating to O2 and the AI.

I've whipped up an Oxygen Recycler Tips compilation over here; take a gander, I hope it's useful.

If you have a save where you think they should easily be able to keep up, but they can't, send it to me and I'll see if it's bugged. support@doublefine.com. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this