Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
paulsoaresjr

Research Questions

Got a research lab built and a console, chose a project and assigned a scientist. Now what? I'm not seeing any indication that the research is making any progress.

thx

There's a number beneath each entry, where progress is measured by some number out of 1000 (for the earliest research proects). You highlight the one you want to work on, and each time your scientist goes to work in your Research facility, you'll see that number increase slowly. Multiple scientists will raise that number faster.

There's a black line, which I assume is intended to be a progress bar, but that does nothing at the moment.

The number shown, 0/1000 or 0/1200, ought to increase gradually. When you finish the project, the interface will encourage you to select a new research project. With 3-4 consoles and 5 scientists with 3-4 stars each, I found research progresses pretty fast, but initially (one 3-star guy, one console) it's very slow.

If you research a new object, e.g. a better Refinery, then you'll have to build that (and presumably also demolish your old, afterwards, to be sure your Miners won't dump their ore into the old one), but I don't know how carried equipment works, e.g. for Builders or Security guys. One might presume that such upgrades are automatic, but I'm wary of this bug-ridden game, to be honest.

Note also that if you save and quit, then when you resume playing later, you must select a research project again, although your old progress shouldn't be lost.

I've upgraded both my Builders' demolition and construction abilities, and I can say I've noticed a significant improvement in both those areas. I didn't have to actively equip them with anything, they just do those jobs better immediately after the research is complete. Same goes for the Security armor upgrade (although I've only finished the first tier so far), the visual upgrade is immediately apparent - in that case, you can tell by the orange triangle on the chest of the Security suits. Based on that, I'm assuming the Botanist upgrade I'm currently researching will also auto-equip.

The Refrigerator 2.0, Gamma Class Matter Refinery, and Modified Oxygen Recycler have to be built (and the new O2 scrubbers might not fit where the old ones were, because they actually have a bigger footprint).

erhm. i don understand how and were to select something to research...

You need to build the research lab and put a console in it first. Then just click on the floor of the lab and you'll see a list of possible projects to choose from.

Sign in to follow this