Sign in to follow this  
gulstar

Dear Leader is best leader!

There are no Great Leaders that haven't had trouble with people who didn't recognized their greatness. So the only way to fix this is to show them and the rest of the world how great you really are.

I was wondering how propaganda is going to be implemented in the game. All the leaders of totalitarian states used propaganda to try and manipulate the people into thinking that they were great(sometimes even godlike).

For example check this list of weird facts about the ""Great" Kim Jong Il.

- According to his biography, he first picked up a golf club in 1994, at North Korea's only golf course, and shot a 38-under par round that included no fewer than 11 holes in one. Satisfied with his performance, he reportedly immediately declared his retirement from the sport.

- At university it was claimed in his biography that he wrote no fewer than 1,500 books in three years

- Minju Joson, a North Korean newspaper, reported once that Kim invented a product described as "double bread with meat" and created factories to produce them in order to feed his students and teachers. Some observers noted it was very similar to an American-hamburger.

How do you guys feel about propaganda and what "Great" facts do you want your leader to have accomplished?

One of the pitches mentioned going to space as a possible endgame.

I guess that won't need much exaggeration to be a propaganda coup. :)

On the improbable side of things - I'd like my leader to have invented the national animal. Perhaps a cross between a house-cat and jaguar. A Moguar. Yes. And taught it to play fetch. In a swimming pool.

Some things the leader in ambassadors does are quite good, the giant gold memorial statues (playing to the west) and hunting parties (diplomatic) with the ambassadors of the countries wanting to gain more influence in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassadors_(TV_series)

Other than that

Speechs to the people, with a dialogue tree would be good

Dedicated radio/tv spots (hourly, daily, weekly)

Signs

Newspaper/Pamphlets with the choice of how biased towards you, you want them to be ( The Republia Times - http://dukope.com/play.php?g=trt does a take on an editor role where you have to choose stories that highlight the good things about the government)

One of my favorite quotes was "Kim Jong Il picked up a pine cone and threw it at the American invader, and it turned into a hand grenade midair and wiped out the entire imperialist army".

Just brainstorming here about propaganda. I don't usually think of awesome qualities of leaders when I think of propaganda. Maybe these thoughts don't belong here, but I am hoping for some game features like:

1.Subversive people jailed and accused of crimes they didn't commit twisted as the leader effectively safekeeping the people's way of life. Could be used as a game mechanic for keeping the people happy/unaware as you get rid of those who oppose you.

2.Frequent use of buzzwords like "Infidel" or "Imperialist Dogs" for outsiders and others like "Comrade" or "Citizen" for those within the system, creating an us verses them mentality.

3. Blaming mistakes or things that go wrong on your enemies. ie: There is little food because enemies of the state poisoned the fields.

I am really interested about how the player will control the various propaganda machines and what forms they will take.

Well i focused on the propaganda specific about the leader because i didn't heard it mentioned before and i do believe it is necessary if you want to convince the people you are the best leader although the development of your country doesn't work out as planned.

It could bring a fun element to the game where you will have to choose how far you want to go with the propaganda(if you don't people will start to question your authority, but to much at once and people will start to doubt you even if you speak the through).

Also since there are enough people with a good sense of humor on this forum i was curious what kind of propaganda they would think of.

But i'm just as curious about all other forms of propaganda and communication control we could use for this game.

The people that have read 1984(if you haven't, it's a great demonstration how perfect totalitarianism could be achieved but also a warning for these kind of governments)will know how important it is to distract the people from what is really going on and let the critics think they are in control. But i don't think this game would benefit from an atmosphere like the one in 1984, because it is a bit to serious.

So feel free to discuss anything connected to propaganda, because in the end it can only stimulate our thoughts about game play mechanics and that was my goal in the first place.

Yeah! I loved 1984! (The book and the year ;) ) Could find some good stuff in Animal Farm too. George Orwell wrote some very interesting stuff about totalitarian forms of government.

Sign in to follow this