• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Irian from Germany

Where should the player change between Vella and Shay?

Hello everyone!

I know that you are in general totally free where and when to change between Vella and Shay - but in your opinion what would be good points in the story for the player to change between them in order to get the most out of it? From a storytelling, pacing or plot perspective?

Personally, I never changed - I started with Shay and then continued with Vella. But I am still wondering if the experience could have been better if I changed during the story...

So... what do you think - where *should* the player change between Shay and Vella?

I cut back and forth. Starting with Vella, playing her until she reaches the clouds. Then Shay until he meets Marek for the second time and gets the first mission. Then Vella @Meriloft until she ends up with Curtis, then Shay till the end (I think), then Vella till the end.

But you see that when you play. Basically, whenever there was a dramatic moment, I changed perspective. Whether that's a better experience ... I dunno, depends on you, I guess. I had fun switching and arranging the stories, was a bit like playing director :) But I guess it's not strictly necessary.

I don't think there's a story reason to switch at all. My guess is the whole switch option is just there, so that players can avoid frustration, if they would get stuck with one of the characters. So it's not that important, since that should hardly occur.

I did it whenever I felt myself getting bored of a setting, getting frustrated with a puzzle (which didn't happen often) or just felt like a change.

I don't get the people who played it all at once then switched. That really seems like the least fun way to play it.

That really seems like the least fun way to play it.

Yep, unfortunately, that proved true for me. I thought "They'll have created the switch point at an interesting plot point of the game, for sure", and hoped for that. Turns out, they didn't (and that's not any kind of reproval), and I was seriously confused at the end of the game, and thought "Huh? Now there must be some more, mustn't there?". :D I guess I'll let it sit for a little while and then play it again in random order before act 2 comes out.

I think the correct answer is "When you get stuck and need a change" and "When you finish Act 1 with a character"... when we have the rest of the game this switch point will seem more meaningful.

I cut back and forth. Starting with Vella, playing her until she reaches the clouds. Then Shay until he meets Marek for the second time and gets the first mission. Then Vella @Meriloft until she ends up with Curtis, then Shay till the end (I think), then Vella till the end.

But you see that when you play. Basically, whenever there was a dramatic moment, I changed perspective. Whether that's a better experience ... I dunno, depends on you, I guess. I had fun switching and arranging the stories, was a bit like playing director :) But I guess it's not strictly necessary.

This is more or less what I did and seemed like a nicely paced way of doing it from a storytelling perspective. Those breaks just feel natural for some reason. This would be the points where I. Might consider taking a break in an adventure game, and a change is as good as a break, as they say.

As long as you finish Shay's story first, I think switching around anytime before Vella's story's ending reveal is fine. But that's just me.

As long as you finish Shay's story first, I think switching around anytime before Vella's story's ending reveal is fine. But that's just me.

Yea I finished Vella story first and the reveal wasn't has socking and amazing as I think it should be.

I did Sheys story first and I am glad I did as I think it would have taken something away from act one if I had done Vellas story first.

Sign in to follow this