DF benburbank

HERE IS PROGRESS THREAD

Working on modelling some of that house interior:

day2c.png

mini-door is super-rad!!!

Working on concepts for the best idea ever:

day2d.jpg

is this Levi's work?

Earlier you posted an image of the Full House View, but I didn't see Uncle Jesse or Uncle Joey anywhere. What gives?

HaHa! Cut,It,Out....

I was worried That title would confuse just about everyone :)

Earlier you posted an image of the Full House View, but I didn't see Uncle Jesse or Uncle Joey anywhere. What gives?

HaHa! Cut,It,Out....

I was worried That title would confuse just about everyone :)

giphy.gif

day2d.jpg

is this Levi's work?

Yup! Bing!

It took me like a full minute (and maybe three days), but now I know, why this little pink best bud is wearing an eyepatch! Duh!

ARE YOU PREPARED FOR DAY THREE? IMPOSSIBLE.

Some more vine interviews with the team:

Let's Talk To Dave G:

https://t.co/OEr4VitYLN

Let's Talk To Dave G Again:

https://t.co/JqWQVaPBgG

Never Stop Talking To Dave G:

https://t.co/K3HPZD7kqW

Let's Talk To Jeremy About Art Graphics:

https://t.co/nw0LVo71OR

Let's Ask Pen The Hard Questions:

https://t.co/945pPpBtVx

Other than that, we were...

Working on Experimental Giga Grasstek 1.0:

day3a.png

Working on materials for the Buds and updating their rig:

day3b.png

Working on making chatting a gameplay mechanic:

day3e.png

Working on modeling the house some more:

day3c.png

Working on getting rigging and animation done so the player can point (despite having the pink buds material on his rad body):

day3d.png

Working on modeling all the stuff that makes each bud special:

day3f.jpg

SORRY I can't post any more concept stuff because it's all secrets :( :( :(

Wait, you guys use Blender in house?

Blender is the kind of software that you grow to love in a Stockholm Syndrome way. I'll never love anything else.

Been using it since it became FOSS. =)

Oh and great work on the game guys, looks great so far!

Yeah! The full story:

I used 3ds Max for 10+ years. When I went to id, everyone there used Modo. I learned a lot from a couple guys there about how almost every app on the planet is super slow and inefficent. More importantly, people tend to get in their comfy zone and not learn how to do things better or faster.

At one point my computer at home died and I had to reinstall my software. I wanted to go legit with my home software, since I was starting to do more professional stuff on my home computer. I came to a crossroads: I could get my own license of Max, but not get to use it at work much, or I could spend $1000 on a Modo license (lest I use a work license and lose it if I changed jobs). This was happening right around the time blender 2.5 alpha was coming out and making waves. It finally looked like something not exactly terrible!

There are a few core concepts in Modo that I found in Blender. Lots of things like gizmo-less manipulation, action centers (the 3d cursor), heavily integrated scripting (python). So I picked up Blender and decided if I was going to do any 3d at home, I'd use Blender and force myself to learn it (it wasn't that bad).

When I ended up as the core artist on Spacebase, I knew I needed to get models out really fast. I'm not really familiar with Maya sadly, so I decided to just use blender rather than waste a bunch of time trying to force maya to be faster at modeling. I've been learning lots of Maya on the job and I'm at a point where I can get stuff done just fine, but for modeling I still prefer blender for the reasons I mentioned above. For Spacebase, I have a set of scripts I wrote to generate the wall tile sprites and render isometric props for the 2d art in the game.

Just tonight I wrote a quick script that will import my blender mesh into the Maya object file so I can iterate faster. If I have any bit of advice its LEARN SCRIPTING. If you can spend 20 minutes to learn how to save 20 seconds, that time will pay for itself before the day is over.

Finally: I will definitely say, objectively speaking, Modo is the actual best application for 3d art. There are things in there you actually just can not do in other apps. On RAGE, we used Modo to build entire levels, high poly source models, low poly, etc. Basically everything 3d in the game except characters or animation. Plus, Modo has the new Pixar Subdivision which is amazing and I really hope somebody can get it in Blender (as well as improve Blender's viewport performance. ).

WOW that was a big post about nothin'!

Hey here's a vine where you'll learn how to do AI programming:

WELCOME TO THE SECOND DAY WHERE WE ARE...

day2d.jpg

That picture alone would make me back a kickstarter/preorder/buy alpha access. :)

This game really looks and seem lovely silly. You can't have enough silly games.

Thumbs up for Blender! :) It's really become an awesome piece of software, even though it still has its share of rough edges and WTF moments...

Further progress: I have identified similarities between Big Leg and The Space Weaver.

Big Leg: Sits alone.

Space Weaver: There is no room in the Space Weaver's life for friendship. He slides alone, like a shuttle of yarn accross the warp of time, on an ever-shortening thread.

The Space Weaver is immobile within the frame of reference of the interior of the ship. Big Leg could limber over there and be his best buddy! Maybe Big Leg could spool back the Space Weaver's thread? Aside from his complete dismissal of the prospect of friendship with Grabbin' Gary, the Space Weaver seems reasonably friendly and talkative. I think the two are best buds, somewhere. If not here, then in Fionavar.

Wait, you guys use Blender in house?

Blender is the kind of software that you grow to love in a Stockholm Syndrome way. I'll never love anything else.

Been using it since it became FOSS. =)

Oh and great work on the game guys, looks great so far!

Yeah! The full story:

I used 3ds Max for 10+ years. When I went to id, everyone there used Modo. I learned a lot from a couple guys there about how almost every app on the planet is super slow and inefficent. More importantly, people tend to get in their comfy zone and not learn how to do things better or faster.

At one point my computer at home died and I had to reinstall my software. I wanted to go legit with my home software, since I was starting to do more professional stuff on my home computer. I came to a crossroads: I could get my own license of Max, but not get to use it at work much, or I could spend $1000 on a Modo license (lest I use a work license and lose it if I changed jobs). This was happening right around the time blender 2.5 alpha was coming out and making waves. It finally looked like something not exactly terrible!

There are a few core concepts in Modo that I found in Blender. Lots of things like gizmo-less manipulation, action centers (the 3d cursor), heavily integrated scripting (python). So I picked up Blender and decided if I was going to do any 3d at home, I'd use Blender and force myself to learn it (it wasn't that bad).

When I ended up as the core artist on Spacebase, I knew I needed to get models out really fast. I'm not really familiar with Maya sadly, so I decided to just use blender rather than waste a bunch of time trying to force maya to be faster at modeling. I've been learning lots of Maya on the job and I'm at a point where I can get stuff done just fine, but for modeling I still prefer blender for the reasons I mentioned above. For Spacebase, I have a set of scripts I wrote to generate the wall tile sprites and render isometric props for the 2d art in the game.

Just tonight I wrote a quick script that will import my blender mesh into the Maya object file so I can iterate faster. If I have any bit of advice its LEARN SCRIPTING. If you can spend 20 minutes to learn how to save 20 seconds, that time will pay for itself before the day is over.

Finally: I will definitely say, objectively speaking, Modo is the actual best application for 3d art. There are things in there you actually just can not do in other apps. On RAGE, we used Modo to build entire levels, high poly source models, low poly, etc. Basically everything 3d in the game except characters or animation. Plus, Modo has the new Pixar Subdivision which is amazing and I really hope somebody can get it in Blender (as well as improve Blender's viewport performance. ).

WOW that was a big post about nothin'!

Thanks Jeremy! That post was really insightful and useful to myself and other artists here surely, I'm an artist working in the industry too so it's always great hearing different perspectives on 3D modelling tools. I've been using 3ds Max for about 5+ years, and Maya for less than a year. Everyone keeps saying awesome things about Modo, especially on the modelling front so I'll probably dive into it at some point. It's way cheaper than Autodesk products by comparison too, so that's awesome.

Anyways, hopefully I didn't get too off topic, the game looks great guys, keep it up! :D

THIS CANNOT BE. NO... WE DID NOT EXPECT DAY 4 UPDATE.

Guys! Things are going super well! And it's the weekend now so everybody gets a chance to rest up (or if they want, try and add fun polish items to the game). But by the end of Day 4 we had been:

Working on VFX & Lighting, as well as making the guys pay attention to the player:

Also basically a bunch of voice recording (aside: Pen is a really good voice director, which makes a ton of sense) and then a bunch of people working on %POTATO%s. Since I can't talk about that stuff, here's a couple vines from yesterday:

Everybody Really Likes My Vines:

https://t.co/2GKAZ96r4c

Sunset graphics with Drew:

https://t.co/ZecmBQVecB

Also a bunch of us went and saw 風立ちぬ (The Wind Rises) last night and while it's not DIRECTLY related to the project it sure had a ton of quiet grassy hills under blue, blue skies.

Hey man it's already giving off a cheerful yet super creepy vibe! If that's what you guys are going for, well done!

Dude. That grass is real pretty. It's REAL PRETTY, man. Like, for real. Like, whoa, man.

Also, it really seems like Pen's vision meshes with the Double Fine... brand? Ethos?

Ethos.

Oh man little best buds is looking super hot you guys! Could you post a couple screenshots of the different day and night scenes with the house in the distance (especially the sunset one) cause i totally want one of those as my background oh man!

Ahhhhhh it's looking so good! Been running around in game a lot and just checking out the climates. So pretty!! Also, Wind Rises was sooooo good!

Also a bunch of us went and saw 風立ちぬ (The Wind Rises) last night and while it's not DIRECTLY related to the project it sure had a ton of quiet grassy hills under blue, blue skies.

Miyazaki's grass and blue skies are the best. This project is definitively on the right track.

Also I'd love to see Pen Ward doing voice directing!

Oh man little best buds is looking super hot you guys! Could you post a couple screenshots of the different day and night scenes with the house in the distance (especially the sunset one) cause i totally want one of those as my background oh man!

We're going to make a few wallpapers, actually! Also, Levi pointed out that when we do that, they absolutely must resemble

windows_xp_bliss-wide.jpg

This must be the smoothest AF Project ever?

I am really happy that I donated 10 dollars to AF, even though I only cared about the free documentary stuff at first.

I can't wait to play this! I *have* to know what Potatoes are!

Sign in to follow this