Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF benburbank

HERE IS PROGRESS THREAD

Oh man little best buds is looking super hot you guys! Could you post a couple screenshots of the different day and night scenes with the house in the distance (especially the sunset one) cause i totally want one of those as my background oh man!

We're going to make a few wallpapers, actually! Also, Levi pointed out that when we do that, they absolutely must resemble

windows_xp_bliss-wide.jpg

Nothing could possibly make me happier than seeing a LPBB version of this.

POTATO POTATO POTATO!

Nothing could possibly make me happier than seeing a LPBB version of this.

This!

I love what you guys are doing. Really excited for this one. Are you thinking of doing any kind of flatter shading with the pink buds? For some reason the more shiny and 3D they look the less characterful they seem. Loving the environmental work and I can't wait to play with the little fellers!

Also, it really seems like Pen's vision meshes with the Double Fine... brand? Ethos?

Ethos.

Yeah I feel that great creative compatibility and synergy too, they seem an excellent match!

People doubted it but from all I can see this is the prototype that seems to be coming together fasted and in the most coherent way so far (not that any others are really looking like failures or anything). Really happy with how this one is looking, and can't wait to see some practical examples of that text input engine starting to pay off.

And I would very much like to see this expanded upon if the prototype gives us something worthwhile.

I love what you guys are doing. Really excited for this one. Are you thinking of doing any kind of flatter shading with the pink buds? For some reason the more shiny and 3D they look the less characterful they seem. Loving the environmental work and I can't wait to play with the little fellers!
Yeah I'm hoping there are some cool shaders used for this to give it a real animated feel.

Finally got around to watching this morning's stand-up.

This seems to sum it up nicely:

potato.gif

^ Loved that episode! :D It had Geordi LaForge's voice too!

Re LPBB: I am really amazed how far this project has moved along! Given all the new interactive concepts, I had figured this one to move the slowest, but it's really shaping up fast. Now I really hope this one gets made into a full fledged game for release! Thanks for the updates, Ben! And awesome job team LPBB!

Looking awesome! I just watched the Day 3 video on youtube. I do think some wrist\elbow bending to make the pointing feel more natural could be cool. The thought of a rigid arm reminds me of how weird the "Trespasser" arm could look, though I'm sure you could make it look cool either way. Loving your work :)

this game looks creepy as all hell, yet I've managed to form a very endearing connection with the buds... good job! :D

I hope the LPBB Team includes a physical potato in the world somewhere, perhaps in the house on a shelf or something.

Smiles

I just watched the Day 4 documentary, and I was really impressed by Pen's direction of Ben. To see his reaction out of getting just what he wanted from Ben's performance, was really, sort of, inspirational. I wasn't a die-hard Pen fan, though I enjoyed all of his ideas and found the sense of humor he brought to his pitches and to the AF Docs. But, seeing how he's handled the leadership role, even while (in my opinion) seeming somewhat uncomfortable being in the spot light, has really made me appreciate him and all the Double Finers all the more. So, keep up the good work guys.

Yeah, Pen is really, really good at running a thing, holy crap.

Also I went and re-recorded all of that stuff with a different voice later.

ANYWAY: It's been a while since I posted junk here! I recorded a little something for you guys earlier! FEAST UPON THIS INEDIBLE PROGRESS HALFWAY THROUGH DAY SIX

I just watched the Day 4 documentary, and I was really impressed by Pen's direction of Ben. To see his reaction out of getting just what he wanted from Ben's performance, was really, sort of, inspirational. I wasn't a die-hard Pen fan, though I enjoyed all of his ideas and found the sense of humor he brought to his pitches and to the AF Docs. But, seeing how he's handled the leadership role, even while (in my opinion) seeming somewhat uncomfortable being in the spot light, has really made me appreciate him and all the Double Finers all the more. So, keep up the good work guys.

He did this like 16 times - they filmed all the sessions but it they couldn't fit other ones in. Pen is a reaaally good voice director, which is no surprise.

I hope someone takes the time to put a joke in for the word "melon" the bizarre trigger word in Facade that always make Trip kick you out.

Oh man- awesome prototype so far! This has got to be made into a full game!

Also, I have a total guess at what the ending is. If I turn out to be right- well, I guess I'll be the only one who knows. If I'm wrong, I'm going to totally love the surprise! I like being surprised :) I'm sure I'll love it no matter what though!

Oh man- awesome prototype so far! This has got to be made into a full game!

Also, I have a total guess at what the ending is. If I turn out to be right- well, I guess I'll be the only one who knows. If I'm wrong, I'm going to totally love the surprise! I like being surprised :) I'm sure I'll love it no matter what though!

ANYWAY: It's been a while since I posted junk here! I recorded a little something for you guys earlier! FEAST UPON THIS INEDIBLE PROGRESS HALFWAY THROUGH DAY SIX

Man. I voted for No More McDonald's but I'm so glad this game is being made! It's a really intriguing concept: dig in to meaningful conversations with little buds with odd traits.

I can imagine this working as a full game. It would be more like a Choose Your Own adventure where depending on the choices you make, you could end up in different scenarios leading to different endings. You could also allow some exploration where you can walk around with your best bud and they could make comments about certain areas. For example, you could come across an abandoned tire factory and you could listen to the buds talk about their experiences with it or stories they heard about it. You could ask different buds if they know anything cool to check out and they could take you to different places or tell you where to go. Another interesting scenario would be if the buds start disappearing; maybe you don't notice at first because there are so many; maybe you could find where they've been taken and talk to some villain/free them/avenge them. You could have different random events that could occur to add to the replayability: storm damaging the house, snow making the buds cold so you try to get them all in the house and you freeze to death yourself, a new bud arrives and is estranged by the current buds, etc.. You could even add Steam Workshop support and let people publish more content in the form of new things to look at in the world or new best buds with custom voice over work.

The game would be time consuming to make mostly for the incredible amount of script and voice over work that it would require to make it work. I think it could find its audience though if it was compelling enough, especially if it had mechanisms to be updated over time with new content.

Man. I voted for No More McDonald's but I'm so glad this game is being made! It's a really intriguing concept: dig in to meaningful conversations with little buds with odd traits.

I can imagine this working as a full game. It would be more like a Choose Your Own adventure where depending on the choices you make, you could end up in different scenarios leading to different endings. You could also allow some exploration where you can walk around with your best bud and they could make comments about certain areas. For example, you could come across an abandoned tire factory and you could listen to the buds talk about their experiences with it or stories they heard about it. You could ask different buds if they know anything cool to check out and they could take you to different places or tell you where to go. Another interesting scenario would be if the buds start disappearing; maybe you don't notice at first because there are so many; maybe you could find where they've been taken and talk to some villain/free them/avenge them. You could have different random events that could occur to add to the replayability: storm damaging the house, snow making the buds cold so you try to get them all in the house and you freeze to death yourself, a new bud arrives and is estranged by the current buds, etc.. You could even add Steam Workshop support and let people publish more content in the form of new things to look at in the world or new best buds with custom voice over work.

The game would be time consuming to make mostly for the incredible amount of script and voice over work that it would require to make it work. I think it could find its audience though if it was compelling enough, especially if it had mechanisms to be updated over time with new content.

There is a part of me that wish that these pink guys glowed a bit, because they always end up looking muddy brown in the background to me. Would love to see them, even far away, being proudly vibrant pink.

There is a part of me that wish that these pink guys glowed a bit, because they always end up looking muddy brown in the background to me. Would love to see them, even far away, being proudly vibrant pink.

Yeah! Our materials are still far from done. We'll get there!

Yeah! Our materials are still far from done. We'll get there!

Just watched Day 6 vid. LPBB has some real magic to it. This must be made into a full game. Just make sure that Raz gets cast as Big Leg if that ever happens.

I wish I could see the script Pen has been writing, you know, for laughs. I get the impression he's written a ridiculously large amount in a short time.

Sign in to follow this