Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF benburbank

HERE IS PROGRESS THREAD

Agreed! Raz rocks as Big Leg!

And it seems everyone wants this prototype to be greenlit as a full game. I think we all are interested because it's just so creatively funny and creepy! :D

Will Raz record us a ringtone for our phone?

Hey. Uh.. Pick it up, dude. It's your best bud. Uh, I know you are there.

I love the Boombox Bud's song that was shown in the day 7 ep. Would be super cool if we could get the soundtrack with the prototypes. :D

I love the song that Brian was working on in the Day 7 video!

Any chance it could be put up for download? I've been hankerin' for a new ringtone for a while now!

Will Raz record us a ringtone for our phone?

Hey. Uh.. Pick it up, dude. It's your best bud. Uh, I know you are there.

haha that would be amazing :') i second this.

WOWWWWW boombox bud's song is SO GOOD. Nice work, Brian. I wish I could choose boombox bud because he's boss.

After watching the stream yesterday, I have to say Raz is a really good actor. His delivery opening up to Tim and confronting the other buds outside the house was top notch!

Are materials different than textures?

Also, BTW I didn't see Hairy Bud yesterday. I hope he made the cut. :(

Materials are how the surface reacts to light, textures are just colours. Sometimes, a material will have multiple textures brought in to act as other kinds of "maps" for the material. For example, you might have a texture which tells the material where to be shiny. You might have a texture which tells the material what colors to be. Bring them together, along with some math for the actual interaction with the light and you have a material.

Here is an orange fruit material: http://www.minimaexpresion.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/20121025_piel_naranja_1_0.jpg

You will notice the bumps from the orange naturally interact with the lighting, the shinyness, the shading..and below it is just a flat plane with just the diffuse (color) texture (and a shadow from the orange above it). The bumps themselves are usually brought in from a grayscale (sort of, it could be a normal map as well) texture.

HI GUYS!

Yeah, we didn't cut any buds! They're a little bit spaced out when you first start the game because they hang out in their spots. Also Hairy in particular is kinda' slow to run up.

We're working on the last few touches (mostly just distribution stuff and 1 crash that some machines saw) before we can upload the build to steam.

Super excited for this. I watched Tim playing it on the stream yesterday and it really looks fantastic! I was actually really surprised at just how many custom animations it looks like you got in (i.e. boom box bud had a ton of unique ones, dog bud did stuff with his dog, etc). Also it just looks so much better than even it did on Friday. I'm glad you guys got the buds looking bright pink rather than the kind of muddy color they were before (due to the lighting)

I think it's worth saying that this project was my favourite project. I thought it would be terrible, but the ambition and weirdness of it really won me over. You could have pulled a Steed and done something very unambitious but finished and polished, but this is so much better. So nice work, guys -- I look forward to playing it and I like how you used this attempt to try something untried and outside your comfort zone.

@suejak - Calling Steed "very unambitious" seems like a very... Uninformed... thing to do...

I don't wanna derail the very positive LPBB thread, but I think the difference in ambition between Steed and all the other projects is just night and day. It's basically a reskinned Brutal Legend (generous characterization), only with absolutely zero original gameplay mechanics. This studio made nothing but games like Steed for 10+ years.

I don't wanna derail the very positive LPBB thread, but I think the difference in ambition between Steed and all the other projects is just night and day. It's basically a reskinned Brutal Legend, only with absolutely zero original gameplay mechanics. This studio made nothing but games like Steed for 10+ years.

So much wrong with this.

I like how the latest episode revealed that you can just run up to Big Leg, shout "YES!" and skip the whole chaotic part at the beginning :)

Sign in to follow this