Sign in to follow this  
Derek Brand

The Daily Screenshot Thread

Derek is too modest you guys! Today was pretty awesome in terms of figuring out what the hell is game actually is.

We've started developing the first few characters and 'sets' of the game. Matt started playing with weird shaders that we'll employ to give a strange, surreal look to the game. We're talking about exciting new tech that we need that will likely go back into the main engine, including intense spotlights and their high contrast dynamic shadows. We've shifted to a first person perspective and got rid of our poor, dear friend Mr Pizza Box Man so we can start tweaking the camera. Most importantly, the team is now all up to speed with Derek's bizarre vision and we're now working to give it the best possible representation in the limited time that we have. It's surprisingly tricky to design an adventure game that doesn't have to follow the rules of reality. There is no lack of incredible, bizarre ideas that people are really excited about - we just have to figure out which ones will go into our 2 week prototype.

It'll be interesting to see how 2PP edits together Mnemonic's bits of the documentary. It seems almost impossible that the documentary can avoid total spoilers regarding the game's story, since it was discussed so openly in the meetings today. Personally I'm all for letting the community into the creative process. While I think it would be fun to give people a big 'WHOA' moment at the conclusion of our prototype, I think it might even be more interesting to expose the creative process and let everyone in on the secret as it's developed.

I'm excited to see what this thing is going to look like once it's all spooky and lit and black and white! We'll have pretty screenshots to show you soon!

hehehe maybe not as modest as he is shy, but despite that I can bet he will have 2 of the best weeks of his life :) I'm sure Mnemonic will turn out an awesome prototype (and, hopefully, a game).

It'll be interesting to see how 2PP edits together Mnemonic's bits of the documentary. It seems almost impossible that the documentary can avoid total spoilers regarding the game's story, since it was discussed so openly in the meetings today. Personally I'm all for letting the community into the creative process. While I think it would be fun to give people a big 'WHOA' moment at the conclusion of our prototype, I think it might even be more interesting to expose the creative process and let everyone in on the secret as it's developed.

Speaking as (a mere atom of) the community, I'd love to have the camera perched over your collective shoulders and just watch the whole thing unfold, reveal and all. Watching the behind-the-scenes stuff satisfies my inside game developer.

Thanks for the update!

yeah Id also say dont worry about spoilers. thatll just be tricky for everyone...save that for the inevitable full game. besides, who knows, maybe the community could even come in handy bouncing puzzle ideas off of...

I dunno, last time everyone managed to keep the ending of Black Lake a surprise. So we'll see how it goes! :)

Most importantly, the team is now all up to speed with Derek's bizarre vision and we're now working to give it the best possible representation in the limited time that we have. It's surprisingly tricky to design an adventure game that doesn't have to follow the rules of reality. There is no lack of incredible, bizarre ideas that people are really excited about - we just have to figure out which ones will go into our 2 week prototype.

I'm really excited to see where this will all lead to! The pitch and the name made me think of the movie Memento, with its weird but great reversed timeline.

Have fun creating this game guys!

Dang that glowy effect is cool. Already getting a dreamy feeling. Super looking forward to the end product you guys! (pst also tell Brad not to give more spoilers!)

I think it might even be more interesting to expose the creative process and let everyone in on the secret as it's developed.

Definitely agree :P

Day 3! Look at Matt Testing out a hub:

*in a stereotypical German hipster accent circa 90's SNL* Nice discotheque.

All kidding aside, it looks like you have some neat filters/shaders going. So that's good place to start on an atmospheric game like this one.

I thought the thing at the bottom left corner was a little bird...

EDIT: watched the latest AF, IT IS A LITTLE BIRD! Also, Go Derek \o/! You're my top pick this year! You can totally knock this way out of the park.

Hey Derek, I just finished watching Ep 3: Day 2 of the AF2014 recap video. While watching that it seemed like you were overwhelmed initially by the potential design process for the game and you were looking up to Brad (quite rightly so) to help you out as he is quite experienced in that regard. I just wanted to say that his is YOUR game and vision so like Tim said you have to grab this opportunity to deliver something which represents your version of this game. We believe in you and the game direction you pitched initially is the one that resonated with all the people which resulted in Mnemonic being picked. I believed in this concept from the start and I know you can make something great out of this and be proud of it so trust your instincts and be more assertive.

I know I am just reiterating what Tim said but I absolutely agree with him that is why I was so glad to see you being more confident and determined during the stand up today. So best of luck Derek for the remaining AF, we know that as long as you stick to the initial spark for this prototype you'll end up with something great. :)

Hi Derek. Don't make Mnemonic too focused on mechanics if you don't want to. Brad's idea (or what I managed to understand from the documentary) sounds fine, but it's not exactly what I had in mind from your pitch. Or what you had in mind apparently, based on your conversation with Tim.

I fully agree with Tim (and STG above me): make sure this is the game you want to make. If it's a narrative-driven game, don't let mechanics get in the way of your story. Do think of strong mechanics, but don't make Mnemonic a game strictly about the mechanics. Don't think that because you're not a designer you won't know how to design. Hear everyone's opinion, but lead the project. I'm sure it's going to be an awesome prototype!

Hey guys! Thanks for all the encouragement! It's been a wild and crazy few days. And wholly crap look at the gorgeous new lighting tech Matt Enright has been getting online! Looking so good.

04.png

04.png.7ca783342767a975a4bd59425cef7534.

I say stay with your vision but dont throw Brads take on it out the window either. you need some sort of framework or rule-system to be able to think about the interactions. I think going with "one mode of thinking" is not a bad thing. shape association is a good call - but yes you dont want to standardize it too much so that it just feels like "that mechanic. but keeping it fairly simple at one level is important too - you can make it more abstruse and vague later.

firstly, I imagine/assume that youve divided the story up into key scenes which are the rooms, and the scenes into parts that are activated, not in order time-wise (which also goes for the rooms. also some instants trigger the appearance of others upon completion, at other times you have several available at once to work on. ), and the key instant of the event is triggered last so that the whole scene finally makes sense.

close to the mark?

the "instants" could be frozen in times or go through a short loop, as long as its not apparent what is happening before you solve it. (this is what you were talking about with the "gif like" stuff right?)

(the instants could also be connected completely smoothly or be separated in time.)

my advice (for what its worth, not much) is to go with something similarly simple as the base mechanic:

Find Whats Missing/Unknown.

every scene fragment has one key aspect that is missing or blacked out. deduce logically what it is (a person, an object, the music that was playing, the sound it made, how it felt, etc etc) and find that thing in the other scenes.

ie

*a rocking chair is rocking on its own. find an old lady for it

*a window is breaking on its own. find the rock that went through it.

*a woman looks in chock and in pain, frozen in a moment. find the bullet that hit her. (from another memory where its just in a drawer)

*or, a man holding a gun, not really looking like hed use it though. use the memory of smoke/sound/pain to trigger him accidently firing it.

*a scene where a couple is sitting on a sofa talking, drinking wine. its not super obvious but the woman is just about to drop her glass (not WHEN shes dropping it). find the sound/feeling of breaking glass, or spilled red liquid, from somewhere else and use it here to see that part of the scene

OR - just plain Association. make it so that the player combines different things in order to trigger a memory fragment, based on one property of it. like so (since I dont know anything about the story this is all going to be bullshit):

*what could be a memory is in a tiled bathroom. the tiles happened to resemble a chessboard pattern, so the key here is to "pick up" the chessboard in another memory and use that, which triggers the scene

*a car in the alley seem important. the silhouette of the foreground elements of the interior makes a certain shape that guides you to the person whose memory you need to use there.

* the melody played in two different places (made a little obscure by the arrangement) links to things that should be combined

* or for a hard puzzle, make one part of a link a melody and the other a visual representation of that - if its an undulating scale that could be linked to a mountain range or whatever, something that graphically represents it.

*link two things because they are really reflective.

*use the "feeling" of something heavy on something else thats heavy but otherwise completely unlinked.

have to work now but maybe Ill update this later with more stuff if I think of more

Hey guys! Thanks for all the encouragement! It's been a wild and crazy few days. And wholly crap look at the gorgeous new lighting tech Matt Enright has been getting online! Looking so good.

Sweet!

I wouldn't worry about length or it being not having enough game mechanics - I won't mind if the prototype can be played through in 5 minutes :D Since Derek is an Artist, I think the prototype could simply focus on art and atmosphere.

I wouldn't worry about length or it being not having enough game mechanics - I won't mind if the prototype can be played through in 5 minutes :D Since Derek is an Artist, I think the prototype could simply focus on art and atmosphere.

I agree with the limited time, if you insist on making real puzzles, make them pretty simple just so we can soak in the environment. The visual appeal is key for this game.

I want my 200 puzzles! :)

Stupid camera

I want my 200 puzzles! :)

Stupid camera

Hmm.. I was thinking about puzzles for Mnemonic and as a gamer I'm not great with words and so I've attempted to communicate my ideas through game..

I just sat down and made a little game called Essia in AGS in the last few hours.

http://swsng.com/games/Essia_V1_0.rar

I'm not much of an artist btw.

Left click is inspect and right click is interact. This works on the inventory too. For people that haven't played point and clicks before I recommend looking at everything you can then solving the puzzle.

Cheers,

rp

p.s. Did not expect I was going to spend my day doing this :)

Sign in to follow this