• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Derek Brand

The Daily Screenshot Thread

We believe in you and the game direction you pitched initially is the one that resonated with all the people which resulted in Mnemonic being picked.

Agreed!

Apart from that I think I would be scared as shit too if I had to lead such a project for the first time. It also seems to me to be one of the harder concepts out of the others to work out, since there are so many ways to go with this memory and dream stuff. Will a memory be triggered by sound, smell, taste, sight, touch? Memories can be fractured, incomplete, foggy...

Are we only going backwards in time or switching from past to present and the other way around? And how will this all logically unfold the story and not end up being a chaotic and random trip down memory lane?

Maybe I'm just adding more stress here by rambling on. And all I actually really wanted to say was Derek, you a.) have a great idea and b.) 'only' have to do the best you can with it. Well, isn't life simple like that :P. Seriously though, I wish you the best of luck with this project! Hope you find your zone!

I voted for Dear Leader and love how that game is progressing but, right now, it’s the development of Mnemonic that’s making the most interesting watch. There seems to be so many places it could go. From the first few episodes and the pitch video (I haven’t watched any of the extended pitches, etc) I’ve got an idea in my head of what the game could be. It’s exciting to see it become… whatever the heck it’s turning into now.

In my head (heh) it's about a guy who has experienced some trauma in the past. All his memories are still in his head but they’ve become confused; all jumbled together. Splinters of memories are encroaching in others where they shouldn’t be and it’s the player’s job to set things straight. Remember the plane crashing into the trumpet player? That’s the memory of a romantic date at a jazz club and a memory of the war mashed together. The player doesn’t know why they’re wrong exactly, just that they don’t feel right together. It’s their job to remove the plane and discover the correct door it belongs behind. The game is a huge, living, memory jigsaw and the aim is to get all the pieces in the correct place and reveal the story of what happened… I’d throw on a noir-ish, hard-boiled voiceover to help guide the player through such a surreal world—Bastion meets The Big Sleep.

An interesting element that the team could explore might be the way that memories actually function in the human brain. When we recall something it’s not like we're watching the memory as a film on a screen. It’s more like we’re taking the memory down off the shelf and changing it a little. Like if I pick up a lump of clay and turn it over in my hands just to look at it, I’m going to leave fingerprints and marks on the surface where my hands have been. Something similar happens with memories… and this seems like a groovy game mechanic to me. What if the player changes the memory each time they revisit it? Like if I try to insert the crashing fighter plane into one memory and when I come back to retrieve it (because I want to try it out someplace else) it has crashed into a tree or whatever and changed that memory… Actually, since Mnemonic has been mentioned as an adventure game, this might actually be a perfect puzzle solution. I need to burn this tree because in a particular memory of a car crash (just a random example… there’s screeching tyres in the pitch video) the car had crashed into a tree and set it alight… but it’s missing in the scene as the character currently remembers it. The player needs to set that tree on fire because until they do that they won’t have “solved” the memory?… I’m just spitballing here. This game is sparking so many ideas as I’m watching. I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Hey folks! I think my build is broken, so how about some concepts instead!? Kinda spoilery but you don't mind, right?

alleyConcept02sm.jpg

OfficePaintover01sm.jpg

Garage02withDronesm.jpg

alleyConcept02sm.jpg.9734a0136ad3ccb8be9

OfficePaintover01sm.jpg.21d6559a18f1b7f1

Garage02withDronesm.jpg.3df30ea4efd3292b

oh man. amazing!!

you should really stick your concepts in the game I think. at least for matte painting style vistas...that cityscape is gorgeous!!

Hey folks! I think my build is broken, so how about some concepts instead!? Kinda spoilery but you don't mind, right?

Those are amazing!

I like how we also have music for two of them :D

I must say, I really like the art style here. Very noir.

We always new the game was going to look beautiful Derek, and these new concept art and screenshots only further the fact. Can't wait to see it all come together at the end. :)

I got chills when I heard the music and saw the title come up in the recent video.

Even if this game is more observation than puzzle solving, I think it could still be VERY cool to experience it. Like a dream, connections between ideas don't have to make complete literal sense, maybe there is a deeper meaning to it, or maybe it's just kinda random but in an interesting/visual way.

Either way, keep up the good work guys, it's a challenge, but most great/new ideas typically are.

Wow beautiful work! I'm really excited for this.

Hey! Another day, another screen! Man, things are coming together and it's looking sweet. Just some base textures with spec and some hot new volumetric pointlights and look at that. Even more progress tomorrow!

06.jpg

06.jpg.173e58cd85baf09e86fcd1547e9870f1.

That 2nd shot is as close to concept art as I've seen a game looking! Big ups to Matt and Lydia <3

That 2nd shot is as close to concept art as I've seen a game looking! Big ups to Matt and Lydia <3

I was super skeptical about that second screenshot, thought the team was trying to pull a fast one on me!

I was super skeptical about that second screenshot, thought the team was trying to pull a fast one on me!

OMG, the concept art looks amazing and the latest screenshot is simply stunning. I believe in you guys!

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that this year is the first time I'm watching Amnesia Fortnight. I stumbled upon it on HB and Derek was the one who got me hooked! I saw so much potential in his idea, loved his vision and even his overall personality. I can't wait to watch the latest episode tonight, it's incredibly interesting to watch you take an idea and turn it into a full-blown (well, sort of... ;)) game.

Anyway, I'm cheering for you guys all the way from Sweden. :)

Duck noir... and latest hub.

Everyone is praising that second shot, but man, that first screen shot is absolutely beautiful. The, what did you guys call it, volumetric lighting? It is looking great. Are their plans to add or simulate light diffusion (with contrast) or is the stark, harsh shadows the intended stylistic effect?

Wow, that second screenshot looks amazing. I hope the same level of treatment makes it to other rooms! Excellent work everyone!

Are you now just down to three rooms due to time constraints?

Sign in to follow this