Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dsc106

Question for DF: With the tools in place and team trained, how much easier would it be to make another Point'n'click adventure?

The title says it all, really. But I know a major part of the development here as been figuring out tools, pipeline, engine, workflow, etc.

With a more experienced team and all the tools in place, how much easier would it be to create another Kick-started Point & Click? It would seem to me that giving 2-4 members 3-4 months or pre-production to write the entire game, conceptualize areas, etc. would be rather low overhead (while other team members work on other projects). And then roll the full team, tools ready, into development?

I guess I'm wondering: if you were able to raise 3 million on a 2nd kickstarter, now with all the tools in place (and without the additional expense and overhead of a documentary to produce) could we see an adventure game larger in scope and scale?

(and, maybe without the need for extra financing + heavy reliance on outside sales, one with harder puzzles? :)).

Just curious how having all tools + experience changes the development, and if DF has plans to keep these same tools/engine/etc. in place and produce more adventure games?

I've been meaning to post something similar - I hope that Broken Age will prove to be enormously successful, paving the way for future adventure-game titles and IP from DF, but I'd also like to see some old-school releases to appease the hardcore fans like me. And as dsc106 mentions, given that the tools, technology and know-how should more or less be in place, it should be *relatively* straightforward for Tim to build us a new point and click. I was actually really hoping this would be one of the Amnesia Fortnight pitches...

Anyway, I'd kickstart that, no question. But I think we should keep the target low this time around and make the focus clearly an old-school, verb-coin based adventure.

The simple answer is that it'd be much easier for three huge reasons:

1) They have a tool chain and engine in place for making 2D games. This took at least a couple of months of dev time to get going, and improvements will have been made all the time along the way.

2) Not only that, but they have a working point and click engine, so they wouldn't need to write very much extra code for inventory, building the scenes, getting around, dialogue trees and so on. The work would primarily be on setting up the interface, and of course all the scenes with their artwork, animation and writing and so forth. The code base is already there, though of course adventure games commonly have a lot of bespoke situations that would require specific code.

3) They've done it before, now, and so they've learned lessons that will make them faster at it next time.

I think definitely yes! So the money spent so far is NOT for Broken age only. It is for the future of double fine adventures.

however...

i am sceptical about the use of moai. They have written tons of custom code to make the 2d engine play great with many devices.

I am afraid that this code is not easily maintainable and will be outdated pretty soon.

I think it is very difficult for a game company to sustain such an engine

Sign in to follow this