Sign in to follow this  
Vic Romero

Progress Updates

Howdy comrades!

The team has been d e e p into discussions about gameplay, art, animation, VFX, audio, and all the other elements that will come together in the development of the Amnesia Fortnight prototype. It's gonna be a crazy couple of weeks, but we'll pause each day to post about the progress of the game.

Lee and Bagel have been focused on (early!) concepts for critical scenes, including the all important balcony scene. Here's a description from Lee:

The first image shows the balcony view—where the player will go out and see a panning vista view of a somewhat abstract/collage like view of their state. All of the elements in this view relate to something the player has or hasn’t done—they’re the player’s visualization into the systems.

isMFwDG.jpg

And here's a stylesheet used by the artists for inspiration.

TulxsqM.jpg

First playable is up! The three programmers (more like 2.3) are working on pretty different stuff right now. Some of us are working on the simulation, some of us on systems that will unblock the writers and let them start putting together some scenarios, and some to hook up the interface (this is what I started on).

I got a chance to finally do some programming for a couple of hours late today (it's crazy how much goes into just running a project :o!) and mocked up a skeleton of the interface from Lee's scene setup.

It probably looks a lot like some screens you've seen before (barring some changes to the objects on the desk), and this is because what Lee has done is broken up the scene into separate elements and placed them in layers so that you actually get a really nice paralax, which is difficult to capture in a still shot.

Those of you who have played Broken Age will recognize the cursor :D As I mentioned before, we are using the same engine for Dear Leader. What's cool about using this engine is that there is nothing lost between the art created during the concept phase and the final product -- it's essentially the original 2D art that the artist has painted.

FirstPlayable1.png

FirstPlayable2.png

FirstPlayable3.png

FirstPlayable1.png.2b145da929cf91b7256cc

FirstPlayable2.png.83ad71be9a7a4a2b2843f

FirstPlayable3.png.df9bc441ed93453e98e64

Lee's art is so sweet. Loved the parallaxis.

I just noticed there's a leader statue in the balcony view. I imagine if you're a bad leader, some kid's going to graffiti that for sure :P

Yeah, they were showing off the sweet paralax in the stream yesterday, which caused a lot of "whoa!" and "nice!" in the chat.

Sweet moment... :D

In regards to the balcony view, any thoughts on having the Leader's statue in the middle. Having in center stage might help to push forward that "Great Leader" vibe and make the scene itself look like a propaganda poster.

Great to see so much progress already! I think using existing tech makes a lot of sense during AF. It was pretty incredible that project like Spacebase DF9 were completed last year given how much had to be developed from scratch. And White Birch team spent a lot of time trying to get a game to a playable state.

@ Taekon -- have you watched Day 1 documentary? Lee actually had a similar idea -- perhaps, we would be allowed to zoom in on certain objects and, for example, your statue could be vandalized with offensive drawings.

@ Anna -- got caught up in a major crunch at work, so I apologize for not giving a heads up about the book & posters until after you had received them. But I suppose being referred to as "mysterious benefactor" is pretty cool.

Great to see so much progress already! I think using existing tech makes a lot of sense during AF. It was pretty incredible that project like Spacebase DF9 were completed last year given how much had to be developed from scratch. And White Birch team spent a lot of time trying to get a game to a playable state.

@ Taekon -- have you watched Day 1 documentary? Lee actually had a similar idea -- perhaps, we would be allowed to zoom in on certain objects and, for example, your statue could be vandalized with offensive drawings.

@ Anna -- got caught up in a major crunch at work, so I apologize for not giving a heads up about the book & posters until after you had received them. But I suppose being referred to as "mysterious benefactor" is pretty cool.

Wow thank you so much! They have been immensely helpful as reference. Some of my favorite posters are in there!

You are very kind. <3

Wow thank you so much! They have been immensely helpful as reference. Some of my favorite posters are in there!

You are very kind. <3

You are very welcome! I'm happy that there was a way I could express my appreciation for all the cool things that DF does and how it treats us, fans :) It just so happened that I knew a store in the US that sold relevant material so this seemed like a perfect opportunity to play a tiny part in making a game!

@ Taekon -- have you watched Day 1 documentary? Lee actually had a similar idea -- perhaps, we would be allowed to zoom in on certain objects and, for example, your statue could be vandalized with offensive drawings..

I just did today! The whole zooming in to see statistics thing sounds super cool. I'd love to be able to see my country changes as I progress in the game. I find it's one of the more appealing aspects of simulation games :D.

Hey guys, we've been making great progress with the game! Bagel's been busy whipping up awesome concept art of the ministers.

We started out with a highly stylized take on the portraits, propaganda-style:

RLFWkQe.jpg

While this looks really fitting for the posters, Lee brought up that for the character portraits, it would be good to a looser and more expressive look that matches old lithographs - sort of a more sketch-y look and warmer tones. Bagel took that suggestion to come up with the following sketches:

Jc8uWNZ.jpg

This has a lot more of the looseness that Lee was talking about, and he suggested adding constructivist lines to divide and cut up the different planes of the faces. We are also going to implement a couple different emotional variations on each character, so Bagel explored a happy frame of a minister:

QdFTchr.gif

Finally, one more style exploration that capture the constructivist nature Lee was talking about:

ZMPIsji.jpg

I really like what Lee's doing with the art on this. After hearing the pitch, I thought the game would have the "colder" look of games like Papers, Please or Cart Life, but I'm happy to see this more vibrant style.

The start screen looks great! I believe, it's going to be animated, right?

The "loose" concepts from Bagel look very nice, especially the last one. His style seems pretty fitting to this project.

With regards to character portraits, it'd be interesting to have ability to obtain multiple pieces of information at a glance -- not just emotions but, for example, his wealth (if he's corrupt, maybe he's going to be dressing nicer)... On second -- crazy -- thought, perhaps, secret police's dossiers on ministers can include incriminating photographs, e.g. of them on villa in France or accepting a bribe? Would have to be a system that takes a character, swaps outfits or whatever, and is able to place them in a variety of pre-determined situations. Probably outside of a scope of an AF prototype but it does sound like something that would've happened in real life.

The art style is just fantastic. The idea to use soviet propaganda aesthetics sits nicely with this project.

Cool concept art of the ministers, and digging the start screen as well. It really nails the atmosphere.

Apart from that I've just finished watching the video of day 2, nice voice acting Anna :).

Those of you who have played Broken Age will recognize the cursor :D As I mentioned before, we are using the same engine for Dear Leader. What's cool about using this engine is that there is nothing lost between the art created during the concept phase and the final product -- it's essentially the original 2D art that the artist has painted.

The cursor should totally be a hammer and sickle, if possible.

Great progress guys! Looking amazing and really loving the direction things are headed in. All I can say is more more more :D

Yeah, the art team is coming up with incredible stuff! As for your questions, the start screen will be animated. It actually already is. :) We would love to have varying clothes for the ministers, but unfortunately that is beyond the scope of our two weeks. Sorry!

Edicts. We all love them. But how do they work?

Here, Lee mocked up the UI flow for edicts as well as some examples of the types of edicts which the player can access in the course of deciding the fate of the nation. Note that it begins with the desk view, then transitions to the the binder view, then down to the business of completing and signing the edict with Dear Leader's stamp of approval.

That stamp sits on an inkpad or stand on which the player must replace the stamp when the edict is thoroughly approved.

CGCRM7J.jpg

ZOFPdAe.jpg

"Signature is whatever player drew freehand in previous edict"

You just know that half the people will draw a penis as their signature!

I declare that airships are the best thing ever!

Your beloved leader

[penis picture]

Your beloved leader

[penis picture]

That is indeed what we're expecting. :D Lee and I spent all morning drawing penises in his notebook when mocking up how the stamping was gonna work.

Perhaps the title should be changed to Dear [penis picture]? :lol:

Great work so far, team DL!

Your beloved leader

[penis picture]

That is indeed what we're expecting. :D Lee and I spent all morning drawing penises in his notebook when mocking up how the stamping was gonna work.

And best of all, you crazy kids are getting paid for this. You're truly living the dream! ;)

I remember some other old game where you could also make a signature stamp of you own. I don't remember much of the game, but I do remember that stamp bit. And I am sure I drew a penis there. Or a vagina. Or both.

Sign in to follow this