Sign in to follow this  
Vic Romero

Progress Updates

"Signature is whatever player drew freehand in previous edict"

You just know that half the people will draw a penis as their signature!

I declare that airships are the best thing ever!

Your beloved leader

[penis picture]

That is indeed what we're expecting. :D Lee and I spent all morning drawing penises in his notebook when mocking up how the stamping was gonna work.

Two words:

"Dong Leader"

Camden--the audio guru on Dear Leader--has been dealing with a unique challenge: how do you include voices in a game that doesn't have voices? In these examples, he has recorded four members of the team and processed the recordings to create radio announcements that evoke the era but aren't recognizable speech.

Can you guess who's who?

Dear Leader - Radio Voices

Camden--the audio guru on Dear Leader--has been dealing with a unique challenge: how do you include voices in a game that doesn't have voices? In these examples, he has recorded four members of the team and processed the recordings to create radio announcements that evoke the era but aren't recognizable speech.

Can you guess who's who?

Dear Leader - Radio Voices

A is Anna, I'm pretty sure.

B is Greg?

C is Lee?

D, I don't know - Anna again?

The game is looking great so far! I jsut saw on the day four episode your character style guide, is that in Excel? Looks more efficient than Tims' Psychonauts Word File lol

The game is looking great so far! I jsut saw on the day four episode your character style guide, is that in Excel? Looks more efficient than Tims' Psychonauts Word File lol

Yep! Gabe's writing the character dialog for this project. (Although I believe the character sheets are based on Tim's template).

B is Greg?

C is Lee?

You got D!

Hint: each one is a different member of the Dear Leader team.

Yep! Gabe's writing the character dialog for this project. (Although I believe the character sheets are based on Tim's template).

B is Greg?

C is Lee?

You got D!

Hint: each one is a different member of the Dear Leader team.

Guess A is then su lui the only other woman in the team and it really sound as a woman.

Guess A is then su lui the only other woman in the team and it really sound as a woman.

Oh man I really really really love the unclear radio voices! Adds a whole level of intrigue! The intros and outros were lovely too :D

Oh man I really really really love the unclear radio voices! Adds a whole level of intrigue! The intros and outros were lovely too :D

New update!

As Paul explained in this detailed thread, edicts are like the player's actions in the game. Scenarios are the driving force that leads the player to those actions. We're implementing the story scenarios as we head toward the finish next week. Here's an example of all the elements in a scenario.

TApgEBA.jpg

Note the outcomes and their effects on the simulation, which are not visible to the player except through character dialog and the balcony scenes. It shows that even the smallest choices can have a major impact.

That stamp sits on an inkpad or stand on which the player must replace the stamp when the edict is thoroughly approved.

This reminded me of a post by Lucas Pope, the guy behind Papers, Please, about the stamping mechanic:

Drag the stamp into place, drop it, then click it to apply. Unfortunately this feels lame. Applying the stamp on mouse release just doesn't have the satisfaction. What you want is a nice solid THUNK when pressing the mouse down, not when you let go.

So I switched gears and am now experimenting with a stamp "bar" that pulls out over the desk. In this case, the stamps are immovable and you have to arrange the documents beneath them before stamping. Feels much better

The complete post can be found here:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29750.msg827674;topicseen#msg827674

Cheers.

Funny I hadn't thought about that before but the stamp in papers, please does feel very satisfying.

Hah, that scenario you posted reminded me of the latest episode of The Americans (a great show on FX about two KGB-agents living in the US posing as a normal family). One of the KGB-agents got caught listening to Rod Stewart by his boss and claimed it was for "research purposes", the boss then proceeded to rant about how all those young ones would be the end of their organization one day. :D

+1 press freedom is too extreme

very interested about the mechanics of the game, but obviously that would probably best best discovered playing the game itself =)

Not sure if you're familiar with the game "twilight struggle" but like a lot of games they incorporated chance into outcomes (despite best intentions). Ie you'd have a 50% chance of progressing if you invested (time) into the space race...:

16Nov2005-GameH-TwilightSpace.jpg

"Signature is whatever player drew freehand in previous edict"

You just know that half the people will draw a penis as their signature!

I declare that airships are the best thing ever!

Your beloved leader

[penis picture]

That is indeed what we're expecting. :D Lee and I spent all morning drawing penises in his notebook when mocking up how the stamping was gonna work.

I think this is actually a great thing for this game because nobody would dare question the Dear Leader. If he wants to, in his infinite wisdom, draw a massive schlong as his signature then it must be respected! So it just works no matter what, there is no need to worry about what silly things people might draw because if they do it and are met by a blank expression of obedience then it just helps the atmosphere of totalitarianism. I mean, the fact that what is happening in the game might seem ridiculous to the player is half the point, right?

The minister doesn't seem to be thrilled with our name choice. I think we just found a candidate for a mission to Mars ;)

The highs and lows of Amnesia Fortnight.

(By Bagel).

Wow, I love these. Especially the tragic pose of the dude at the bottom.

Everything about this game seems pretty much awesome.

So The 3rd Era IS cut Or may be Cut?
I'm assuming it is. Sounded to me like they were still working on getting all the era 1 stuff really polished not too long ago. Which still leaves era 2. I don't see how they would have had the time for era 3, but *shrug* who knows? :P

So The 3rd Era IS cut Or may be Cut?
I'm assuming it is. Sounded to me like they were still working on getting all the era 1 stuff really polished not too long ago. Which still leaves era 2. I don't see how they would have had the time for era 3, but *shrug* who knows? :P

That's what I gather too. It's more important to get some slice of the game working well or, at least, conveying ideas/directions a full version may have as opposed to giving a bunch of content that won't be any fun to play.

If you decide to make this into a full-blown game I would back it/pre-order/whatever without even blinking, just so you know! Fantastic job, guys!

I just watched the Twitch video and I have to say from that, Dear Leader does look like the one that has the most actual potential. Steed was nice, but in the end it's just an action RPG with a horse and Best Pink Buds is a nice concept, but in the end might be a horrible game. And Mnemonic. I liked it as well, but it's a game that would need a hell of a strong writer. The concept is good, but it is also something that can be made or broken with writing.

Sign in to follow this