Sign in to follow this  
frilansspion

balcony view

sorry, I assume we re not supposed to clutter up the progress thread with comments, thats why Im posting here.

so the sketches and all look really sweet, but I was just wondering why they are low angle views from the street - I thought they were supposed to be your view from the balcony? or is it just sketches to suggest the content representation in preparation for doing the actual layout?

also, my first impression was that the view would represent the state of the nation in a more realistic/naturalistic (?) way, is the concept going in a more graphical direction providing more direct visual feedback? I mean I thought it would be like a little sim of your capital, rather than x smokestacks = how much industry points youve got. now I dont mean to say I think you SHOULD do it a certain way, I just wanted to ask if thats a change of direction or not and maybe what the reasoning is if so. to keep it simple?

I think they're going for a balcony view that is inspired by the art style of the propaganda. So I think its going to be a bit more abstract than what you were thinking of. Personally, I think its important that this not be a hard 'sim' where you can get all your information from the UI. I think you'll be able to get a general overview of whats going on from the balcony, but all of the details get hashed out between you and your ministers.

Lee also said that it was a "panning vista" so I think the perspective might indeed change to something where you can sweep across a landscape and as you do that you see all the visual elements.

Also, shoutouts to Vic!! I know the team is super busy and so they don't really have the time to entertain the internet. Plus, you're trying to keep all the logistics together. Thanks for taking some time to throw in some comments and updates.

I didnt mean the visual style per se, using words like graphical and realistic was probably a bit stupid. I meant how immediately and concretely the visual elements represents the underlying data. I think I meant more "graph-like" vs "scenic" kind of thing. especially the planes representing technological progress at any time seems a little graphlike to me, as opposed to just having technical details increasing across the cityscape. that kind of thing.

Have you seen the part of the stream where Greg talks to Lee about this particular subject? if not, check out this video http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/504757069 from like 8:00-12:00

ph wow no I hadnt! I was under the impression that the streams hadnt begun working yet. aah...if Id seen that I wouldnt have posted. so theyre trying different angles out. okay.

thanks for the link buddy!

Sign in to follow this