• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

What do you think about the new Thief game?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the new Thief game?

• I am very excited, it looks excellent.
    • I am hopeful, it looks good.
    • I am afraid, it doesn’t look good.
    • I wish it didn’t exist, it’s an abomination
    • I don’t know what Thief is and I clicked this topic out of curiosity
    • I don’t even care, why am I voting?

This is a thread to talk about Thief, out next week from Eidos Montreal, makers of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I think it will be bueno. I am awaiting my code from GMG.

What do you other humans think?

I'm not sure what to think about it. Eidos Montreal handled Deus Ex really well, but the new Thief game is being made by a totally different team.

I'm just going to wait and see how it turns out.

My list of gripes would be enough to fill the whole thread, so I'll just say that to me the reboot looks a huge step away from the original games.

Of course it does. It's a reboot. There are a ton of changes. But if you expect gameplay from 1998 in 2014 you are insane.

Yeah, I guess I am. For example, I was expecting to shoot rope arrows in more places than just a few select spots and to be able to jump everywhere I wanted, not just having jumping be contextual.

I sure as hell didn't expect action packed escape sequences like this (open in new window or jump to 15:22):

Oh well, at least they took out some of the QTE sequences that were planned for the reboot.

It looks good, and it's certainly a positive that the dev team is listening to fan feedback (but not ALL of it!), but since I'm not a huge fan of stealth games, I'd hardly call this a day one purchase for me.

It's a modern reboot for modern audiences. It has very little common with the immersive sim genre that LGS pioneered. Instead of systemic gameplay you get scripted animations and instead of huge sprawling levels you get small cramped levels with lots of linear sections.

I'm probably going to get it since I haven't played the original thief games yet. After i finish the new game (and dishonored as well since i still need to finish it), then i'll try to play all the retro games and let you guys know my thoughts on the new games vs the older games.

Also i plan to try a playthough at some point in classic mode as described here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Thief-Gets-New-Details-about-Difficulty-Options-UI-Customization-406232.shtml

Oh and for those wanting to get a steam key for the game for significantly cheaper, check out this website: http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/thief-pc-cd-key-steam/?mw_aref=b3b0c60973cdc613eba86eb97bad5501

Oh man, I'm so sorry... I watched a Russian livestream of this being played and I take it all back. This game is HILARIOUS. The graphic sex in the brothel alone is priceless, complete with dialogue like "Give it to me harder!" This will be an awesome train wreck to watch. I'll even pick it up when it goes on sale dirt cheap.

I hated it when I first saw it. I hate how modern stealth games give you a feature to see through walls, completely takes the skill out of the genre. Then, after they made the changes post E3, and I really started to like it.

Then I saw a gameplay trailer a few days ago and I'm back to hating it. The dialogue is terrible and Garret never shuts up, pointing out what is painfully obvious. Worst of all the guards are literally blind. The guy playing walked right in front of guard, literally right in front of a guard and he didn't see him. Another guard was sleeping on a box, the player banged on a table or something and the guard didn't wake up. Another part was when two guard were standing five feet behind you, and they said "what's that?" The guy hid behind a box and watched as the guards inspected the now empty spot for half an hour. It was actually pretty comical.

Literally everything I have ever heard about this game from the start to the end of it's development is a series of horrible design decisions and development hell, and now that the game is about to come out, and people are streaming it, even the people I know of who thought it would be good and pre-ordered the damn thing have said "yeah, it looks like it's going to be pretty awful."

Christ, what a damn train wreck.

"I am afraid, it doesn’t look good."

I don't any real experience of the old Thief games, so I don't care that much about how it lives up to any legacy.

And I really enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

But so far, I have gotten the impression that this game is very very linear. That the missions are set through very narrow corridors. And that feels very boring. To linear action games just don't interest me.

I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I'm like that.

But we still have Dishonored and it's inevitable sequel to fill the stealthy hole in our hearts, as well as the original Theif games, so it's all good. :D

I wasn'too impressed by Dishonored. Deus Ex Human Revolution felt more like a proper stealth game to me.

I'll pick up Thief when it goes on sale somewhere next 2 years. IU still have the original in my Steam library waiting to be played.

I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I'm like that.

But we still have Dishonored and it's inevitable sequel to fill the stealthy hole in our hearts, as well as the original Theif games, so it's all good. :D

Not to mention The Dark Mod and T2 fan missions. Some of these are on par with the original missions.

http://www.thedarkmod.com

I wasn'too impressed by Dishonored. Deus Ex Human Revolution felt more like a proper stealth game to me.

I'll pick up Thief when it goes on sale somewhere next 2 years. IU still have the original in my Steam library waiting to be played.

hey don't be dissing dishonored, that was my shit. you probably weren't playing it right. :P