Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Block42

which programms are you using?

Hi,

I have a question ( how you can see in the title ).

And I hope somebody who knows that or somebody at doubkefine, who has timecan me tell the answer.

I'm not shure, but I think you are using Maya for Maps, modelling and animations. But thats all that I know.

How do you make your games, in wich language and wich language for what in the game.

I hope somebody knows the answer.

DrBlock42

PS: DF, you Are the bests

As far as I know they use Maya like you said for 3D modeling, Photoshop for painting, the open source Moai engine for 2D games like Broken Age, their own engine called Buddha for 3D games and as for programming languages, C++ and Lua. When programming in Lua, they tend to use their own IDE that they have developed, I forgot the name, "2hp" or something like that. For C++ I've seen them use the Visual Studio 2010 IDE in the livestream, they don't use newer releases because they have written a lot of stuff for the 2010 version so upgrading wouldn't be an easy task.

That AF 2012 thread doesn't include the Blender usage that we have seen this year's AF.

Would be nice to have a copy of that thread made for DF in general instead of for AF 2012. I'm wondering a bit if they use different tools for their iOS, OS X, XBOX Kinect, Leap Motion, Oculus Rift side development.

That AF 2012 thread doesn't include the Blender usage that we have seen this year's AF.

Would be nice to have a copy of that thread made for DF in general instead of for AF 2012. I'm wondering a bit if they use different tools for their iOS, OS X, XBOX Kinect, Leap Motion, Oculus Rift side development.

They probably have to switch out to a different IDE or compiler for certain platforms, however most stuff on Moai (Broken Age, Dear Leader) stays in Lua/Proprietary C++ until export to certain platforms, then the Buddha Engine stuff is C++ then ported to each platform.

iOS/OSX they'd probably use their normal applications until they need to port, so use xcode to port and compile.

XBox Dev Kinect or otherwise usually sits in Visual Studio, which you can see is usually the go to IDE of most people on the stream.

Leap I don't know much about

Oculus doesn't necessarily require it's own application per se, more optimisations in the existing code to output the way the Oculus needs it, Oculus isn't so much a platform itself more of a viewpoint.

Sign in to follow this